She's making me a bit nervous... :(

Suec04

Visit site
Hi All,

I have a lovely cob mare who some of you may remember, has given me a summer of troubles with recurring vaginitis, hepatitis etc. now she is all well again and I am riding her out and loving every minute of it. she is very good in that when we canter in a group she waits for me to ask her to canter before striking off and would happily trot instead if I asked her too, however, when I do ask her she starts off ok, but gets stronger and stronger. she puts her head on her chest and just goes for it. for a big girl, she can't half shift! anyway, I feel nervous that she wont stop, that I can't pull her back. she will stop when the others do and if we go first she doesn't do it but I feel uneasy with the 'uncontrolled speed'. I had hoped to do some fun rides with her but the thought of her doing this on these rides fills me with dread. what can I do to get her to listen?. I think its excitement rather than naughtiness but I want her to listen to me. I'd just like to feel that if I want her to slow down or pull up then she would but I don't get that feeling at the moment. I'm coping ok so far, and its not got me so concerned that I don't want to canter but I want to get some control before I lose my confidence.

any ideas will be most appreciated plus I am investing in some lessons in the new year which will help I'm sure.

thank you :)

Lippyx

Essex... In my bubble, floating above reality!!
Visit site
Hi!! Sounds like when she is at the back or within the group, she is feeling very confident, as she doesn't do it when she's at the front. Do you school her at all? Maybe if you can get her in a school and practice your transitions or better still when out hacking vary the places you canter and just do random transitions. Have you tried to stop her mid canter when she gets strong?
Remember hanging on the reins will not help (easier said than done, I know!) you'll end up in a tug of war and we all know who'll win that game!! If you can, relax your hands (in turn reins will relax) and think more about your body position. Try to relax and sit deeper in the saddle and use your weight to adjust the speed. Believe it or not, you'll be surprised how this helps.

I had confidence issues when I got my boy and it really filled me with dread at the thought of cantering in an arena. After lots of lessons and help from friends I now enjoy my canter work, and if I sit back (like I'm going up a roller coaster) my boy listens more than if I just hang on the reins.

Good luck xx

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Woah, every time she gets "stronger and stronger" you are inadvertently training her to tank off!

So, I would stop doing what you are doing, and train her to listen. She is only doing what a horse would naturally do, and needs training if you want her to do different.

I would make sure she is good in an arena, with other horses. Can she cope if you are all working individually? If people are cantering past her from all directions (like would happen in a collecting ring)? If not then start here, with everyone at walk, and step it up incrementally until working around a group of horses is easy. If you do not have people to hep a local riding club may have group lessons that would do the job.

I would also sure that she is easy to school, as in concentrating on you, not the others. Also make sure that n the school she can canter nicely, as in whatever pace you set her in she will keep without getting strong. In fact if that link in the chain is missing then go back to individual lessons until she can at least canter in that protected environment well.

Next I would find a field that you can do similar work on. Start near each other, in walk, work independently, step it up until she will ignore the other horses cantering by (think XC warmup). I would then try working in pairs, firstly in walk, then trot, then at canter too. Remember the feel she gives you is everything, if she gets strong then go back to circles to re-balance. Remember what you have learned in lessons to balance and have a set rhythm.

Once this is going well have a larger area of a field and practice cantering in pairs, with taking turns to take the lead. You can stay in canter but one pushes on while the other holds back. Once this is good in pairs then make it three, then four, all able to canter in rhythm taking various places in the "heard".

Only when all that is sorted in a field where you can circle away would I take this to a ride where you are in a straight line.

If you don't have accessible fields then you can hire a XC course, you do not have to jump, when I first got Jay we "went XC" schooling, but it was to establish the above initially, not to jump. I even had my trainer bring a horse so we could practoce cantering near him, past him, with him. It is all training manners.

I know it sounds long winded, but it is what makes the horse confident and independent and a pleasure to ride. The alternative is to whack a big bit in with a martingale and noseband, and IMO that may temporarily mean you can pull up, and feel safe, BUT the horse has not learned manners, will feel restricted and his confidence may end up showing cracks like jogging on the spot, cantering sideways, throwing his head around......... Not really fair on him if he has never been trained to be independent in a heard situation. IMO.

wren123

Visit site
I wouldn't try to stop her when cantering in a group, I think you would be setting her up to be naughty! Till you get an instructor in I would be working on transitions in the school and avoid situations which make you nervous. Perhaps not cantering en masse.

She sounds like a gem though!

Just seen brilliant advice from Red, do what she says:)

Last edited:

Suec04

Visit site
Thank you everyone. this is really good advice. I have been moving her about within the group, ie. in front, behind and in the middle because I think its good for her to be in any position within a group. in front she is more steady because like u say, she is less sure of herself. currently we don't have a school to ride in but in the new year I am going to hire one about a 10 min hack away to have some lessons. I will start with individual ones and then a couple of girls on the yard said they would come in on a group one to try what you have suggested above.

I certainly don't want to train her to tank off but am lacking the skills to know what to do about it so thank you for the advice.
I did find myself stood up in the stirrups and pulling on her mouth and at the time I thought this isn't helping so will try and sit deep and use my seat too. she came to me in a martingale and so wears that anyway and is in a snaffle bit which I would like to keep her in. I don't want to resort to stronger bits. in fact, I thought that martingales stopped horses putting their heads up to evade the bit? she buries her head in her chest so did wonder whether to take the martingale off completely, tho to be honest, the neck strap does help to make me feel safe as I loop my little finger through it when she goes off! :)

unfortunately she does jog on the spot and canter sideways at times which can be a little unnerving. I try to relax my hands and body but the instinct is to hold on which probably isn't helping at all! :( I have tried to pull her up mid gallop but she doesn't listen. the transitions idea above is a good one and I will start there I think. thank you.

edited to add: that she is on individual turnout and does have separation anxiety - will this be a clue as to why she doesn't want to be left behind? what can I do to help? there are only 3 of us on the yard and she is the only mare, hence why separated from the two boys. thanks

she is lovely and is so comfortable to ride and is fab in any traffic and walks over plastic bags so I really shouldn't complain. its just this one thing I want to get a handle on and know how to deal with effectively.

Last edited:

Mrs G

Visit site
I would def keep her in a neck strap or put a balance strap on your saddle for you to hold on to if you decide you don't need the actual martingale - I have been saved by a neck strap/balance strap many a time and it is better than holding on to the horses mouth - hooking a few fingers under it also gives me a bit more confidence to make my instructions clear; be that kicking on thru a paddy or sitting deep to slow down. My horse has a tendency to get faster and faster the longer we canter so I make sure we only go as fast as I want - as soon as he feels like he might go up another gear I half halt with one rein, sit down and start thinking trot, also found using my voice helps so I use the slowing sound I use when I lunge.

Suec04

Visit site
Thank you Mrs G. I will use my slowing sound too - no idea why I didn't think of that before! doh! :) I will keep the martingale for now I think, until I have some lessons and then try removing it within the confines of the school to start with and see how we get on. I will definitely keep a neck strap tho. :)

Spotsrock

Visit site
My coblet does this. I found for group hacking a drop noseband (or flash if easier to borrow to try it out, drop better for mine) helped.

She's schooled to novice dressage and jumps well over a meter with manners to burn, just gets excited as part of a rave!

With the drop she can't lean or pull me about so i sit up, collect her between hand and leg and she's right there.

Schooling is always the way forward but u must protect ur confidence and keep safe so I'm not against stronger tack for a particular activity. Within sensible bounds of course.

Spotsrock

Visit site
As others suggested a holy cr*p strap on ur saddle from d ring to d ring is helpful. My tb usually only stops to verbals - pulling the reins tells a racehorse to lift and go faster so if he forgets his manners its collect, use his slow words and pray!
Good luck, sounds like a nice horse.

Suec04

Visit site
As others suggested a holy cr*p strap on ur saddle from d ring to d ring is helpful. My tb usually only stops to verbals - pulling the reins tells a racehorse to lift and go faster so if he forgets his manners its collect, use his slow words and pray!
Good luck, sounds like a nice horse.

lol! the 'holy cr*p strap' made me giggle! :) and I pray.....a lot! lol

thank you for your advice. I love schooling and this is definitely where I'm going to start but our yard doesn't have a ménage, and we are not allowed to ride in the fields til the spring, hence why I'm going to hire the one up the road. I may try a flash noseband if needs be but not sure if it will help with her burying her head in her chest? :)

meesha

Visit site
You could have a bit such as Cheltenham gag (I am sure others have better suggestions but I have used Cheltenham gag hunting,) or similar on her, ride at all times only holding the snaffle rein and knot gag rein so shorter and sits around neck - pick up gag rein when you ask for canter, don't use it unless you need to and then ask with seat and voice before gently using gag rein. Don't use both reins at once, if you are happy to ride holding 2 that's great but use one or other (I had rubber reins as snaffle and thinner non rubber as gag so immediately knew which was which).

Also build up cantering with one or two others,ask them to canter for few metres then trot then canter so lots of transitions.

JillA

Visit site
It isn't always possible once you are really moving and sometimes you don't have the space, but if she does start taking you and before it gets established you could use a one rein stop. Just take one rein and add a little pressure to turn her - that way you are disengaging her hind quarters so she can't push into faster and faster paces. It is something she will learn, the more you do it the more she will know what is coming so your rein aid can be lighter and lighter as you do it more.

Spotsrock

Visit site
lol! the 'holy cr*p strap' made me giggle! :) and I pray.....a lot! lol

thank you for your advice. I love schooling and this is definitely where I'm going to start but our yard doesn't have a ménage, and we are not allowed to ride in the fields til the spring, hence why I'm going to hire the one up the road. I may try a flash noseband if needs be but not sure if it will help with her burying her head in her chest? :)

They tend to tuck their head in as they cross their jaw or set it, try setting ur jaw; now pull ur chin down to ur chest. Much easier to tense through the jaw. The drop or flash helps eliminate that element.

Good luck.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I would be careful about pulling on her when going - you will make her feel strong and just put her head lower. My lad is inclined to do that and I will use one rein and an oi get your bloomin head up :p. You might feel more confident if you installed a good vocal ho/woah mine has one and it does still work in a group.

It is pretty normal for them to bit a bit more oomphy in company so don't imagine a runaway that isn't there but there should still be manners.

YasandCrystal

Visit site
I think the advice you have been given is just excellent. No one can win a battle of strength with a horse and it makes me despair when I read thread titles asking for recommended stronger bits as in my opinion every horse should have a snaffle mouth. It is all about seat and balance and using body weight and you have to trust the bond you have with your horse in scary or exciting situations and not inadvertently transfer your nerves/ adrenaline to them too.

I do a lot of distance/ charity rides and to be honest they are all so well organised with start time slots that as long as you hack with a reliable friend you shouldn't experienced a problem. I have never been overtaken at speed and anyone overtaking always warns and asks first and only gives at trot. Just pick your canter stretches and as everyone says get your horse really listening to you. I hope you have fun, I have loved doing the rides and enjoyed the scenic hacking.

Suec04

Visit site
Thank you all for your great advice.

YasandCrustal - thank you for the advice about fun/charity rides etc. that makes me feel better. I would really like to try some this year and a girl at the yard does them too so will probably go along with her. :)