She's skinned herself! Best way to encourage hair re-growth?

starryeyed

Visit site
Horse arrived home today but sadly not without drama :rolleyes3: She has somehow managed to take a long line of fur off the entire length of her face - the transporter thinks she must have done it when they got held up in traffic as she started to throw herself around and rear, the only thing we can think she did it on was the edge of the 'sunroof' as nothing else in there was remotely sharp - she had snapped her leather headcollar in half too so clearly did play up en-route.

It wasn't cut or bleeding, it's not a deep wound at all - she has literally just scraped the fur off the whole length of her face . I have plastered her in dermoline wound cream, but I am so worried about it healing as it is such a huge mark! What would be the best way to try and get the hair to grow back after our initial applications of wound cream? I've used megatek in the past but only on very small wounds and it hasn't always been that successful... though will give it a go if that's our best bet

Would be very grateful for any ideas to try and preserve her beauty :frown3: x

Last edited:

Miller1979

Visit site
I used Hypocare to clear up some ringworm on my guy. It was very fast and the hair grew back very fast and is longer than the rest of his growing out clipped coat!

LizzieRC1313

Visit site
I swear by Intrasite gel for my incredibly accident prone ISH who skinned his bum recently. We use it in hospitals and I swear mine would be covered in scars and white hair if it wasn't for intrasite, you can get it from horsehealth. It doesn't sting and it only comes in a small package but lasts quite a while.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Both of my chestnuts have done that on their legs and I just left it alone as the skin was still intact. The fur grew back fine, no white marks or bald patches. :)

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Both of my chestnuts have done that on their legs and I just left it alone as the skin was still intact. The fur grew back fine, no white marks or bald patches. :)

This, my lad has just rolled into the post and rail and skinned the inside of his hock. No broken skin or bleeding, the skin just looks leathery and there are fine bay hairs sprouting.

LessThanPerfect

Visit site
Camrosa ointment-----well known in dog showing world and we also find it is great at growing hair back quickly on our cat who self-harms due to being allergic to grass!

I've also been told in the past that Cornucrescine (sorry if it is spelled incorrectly) is good for hair regrowth but I haven't tried it myself.

tinap

Visit site
I used cornucrescine (?) When ours scraped her leg on a fence. It was quite a big wound although not cut, was like she'd been skinned :( it grew back very quickly & you can't see at all where she did it now (she's bay) x

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I'm not convinced that any topical lotion can make the horse's body grow new hair faster. Save your money, let the horse do it's stuff.

tinap

Visit site
This was what mine did when she was stung by a wasp, freaked out & backed up into a fence. This was at the end of last summer & although the 2nd photo was taken today, it was looking normal about 4weeks after the injury. Whether using cornucrescine helped I can't 100% say but I'm happy with how the hair grew back & with the speed it did so I'd do the same again :) (it is he same leg btw, she goes really dark bay in winter ;))

Screenshot_2014-04-17-08-19-252_zpsapywl6ez.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMAG0317_zpsnmsmaox8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Ouch, poor girly. I would not call that skinning because the skin is broken. That is more like a glove injury and would need intervention with something, Flamazine maybe ?

My lad has no open spots, oozing or pink areas, the skin is dark and painless.

Pixxie

Visit site
I can highly recommend Bio Oil or Manuka Honey having a black mare who is more than a tad clumsy I've discovered manuka honey is my best friend for healing and bio oil my best friend for black hair re growth :)

tinap

Visit site
Ouch, poor girly. I would not call that skinning because the skin is broken. That is more like a glove injury and would need intervention with something, Flamazine maybe ?

My lad has no open spots, oozing or pink areas, the skin is dark and painless.

Ah yes I can see that it looks like oozing/blood on the photo. That is actually sweat from the bender she went on after a) being stung & b) smashing into the fence! It was literally like someone had peeled the hair away from her skin. As it was dirty I just hosed it off & applied some antibacterial cream when we got home from the show. The next morning it was dry & I started with the cornucrescine a few days later x

_GG_

Visit site
Perhaps next time you want a nice blaze, just paint it on? Just kidding ;)

In all seriousness, if the skin isn't broken I would be very hesitant to do anything other than let nature take its course. Keep it clean yes, but barrier creams and applications can actually create a moist environment for bacteria to grow so if it were me, I would do nothing other than keep and eye and keep it clean.

starryeyed

Visit site
Thanks so much everyone - lots of inspiratonal hair growing stories there, maybe we will be ok! tinap - that looks very nasty, so glad it's healed nicely x

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Horse arrived home today but sadly not without drama :rolleyes3: She has somehow managed to take a long line of fur off the entire length of her face - the transporter thinks she must have done it when they got held up in traffic as she started to throw herself around and rear, the only thing we can think she did it on was the edge of the 'sunroof' as nothing else in there was remotely sharp - she had snapped her leather headcollar in half too so clearly did play up en-route.

It wasn't cut or bleeding, it's not a deep wound at all - she has literally just scraped the fur off the whole length of her face . I have plastered her in dermoline wound cream, but I am so worried about it healing as it is such a huge mark! What would be the best way to try and get the hair to grow back after our initial applications of wound cream? I've used megatek in the past but only on very small wounds and it hasn't always been that successful... though will give it a go if that's our best bet

Would be very grateful for any ideas to try and preserve her beauty :frown3: x

DERMiSOL amazing stuff The one I would use Vets recommend it for years.

Dermisol Cream is designed to heal the natural healing process in animals. It is used to encourage wound healing in horses, cattle, dogs and cats particularly when this process is impaired by the presence of necrotic tissue, coagulum, debris or wax. This may occur in cases of traumatic injury, surgical wounds, infected wounds and otitis externa.

Dermisol may be used to encourage wound healing in horses, cattle, dogs and cats particularly when this process is impaired by the presence of neurotic tissue, coagulum, debris or wax. This may occur in cases of traumatic injury, surgical wounds, infected wounds and otitis externa.

Last edited: