Shetland Foal....

lau1990

New User
Visit site
Hi all!

I have been looking around for a pony as a 'project' or just even to fuss around. I Already have a 14.2hh Mare that has a VERY cheeky personality and was thinking about maybe a Shetland Foal. There is a few kiddies in my family that love ponys but mine is a little too much for them to handle atm so thaught this might be a good idea? something they can handle without too much trouble but also most have a strong little personalitys so they would learn how to handle ponies properly... ( my opinion anyways)

What do you think?

Does any one have any ideas of where to pick up a nice little pony from?
not looking to spend a great deal as this pony will problys never be anything more than a pet to me and my family and maybe the odd in hand at local shows (depending on the pony of corse).

I have never looked much into shetland so dont really know of any respectable places to go to or anywhere to avoid....

Any help would be great :)

Thanks Guys.

joosie

Visit site
To be honest if I was looking for a safe Shetland for my kids to have fun and play around with, I wouldn't recommend going for a foal - I would go for something a bit older whose good character with children has already been shown. Shetlands can be very quirky and not all of them are particularly good with kids. I have looked after a couple who weren't at all safe for children, one of them HATED small kids and would go for them if they got too close (but was an absolute saint with everyone else).

ETA - Look at Thordale for Shetlands...
http://www.fstaylor.co.uk/

Pony_Puzz

Visit site
Personally I wouldn't go for a shetland because as much as I love mine, he was a total pain when he was younger. I've had him from when he was 10 months old and he was completely feral. Took a lot of time and patience to get him to not be so naughty and he still has his moments occasionally but not so much as he's a bit older now.
I would look at a small pony maybe a Section A (not necessarily a foal either with kids to start out with), dartmoor (cheeky but absolute gems, I still miss my first pony who was the best learning curve for me), maybe even something slightly bigger like a section B.