Shetland Kit and Setting Up New Yard

AppleBon12

Visit site
So it looks like we have found the perfect two little ponies and we are keeping them on the family farm. As mentioned in previous posts I have always been on livery yards or at least a DIY yard that has already been set up. They are miniature shetlands ones back and a really kids pony the other is 3, again been handled by children. :D:D:D

It's been probably 2 years since I have owned my own horses, (had to sell due to pregnancy complications) and post pregnancy have a complete MUM BRAIN. :rolleyes:

Starting with the yard, we will need:
Saddle rack
Tie rings
Water buckets + tyres to stop the ponies knocking them over
Looking into rubber matting
Lighting
Haynets
Fencing to secure paddocks
Mucking out tools and wheelbarrow
Smaller doors - stables currently being built!!

Ponies
RUGS - They are coming with a light weight turn out each and I am going to get them a minimal fill stable rug just in case they come in chilly from the rain but don't really plan on using it as from experience as reading shetlands aren't really rugged if they don't need to be, is that right?
Grooming Kit
Tack
Lunging Equipment

A HORSE BOX - dreaming really but maybe one day! ;)

Have sorted contacts with the vets, farrier, physio, hay & straw supplier. Our vet package includes worming, vaccines and dentist. Oh and sorting insurance.

Is there anything else people would recommend or I have missed? First time shetland owner and I confident will be fine just want to make sure I have everything set up before they arrive. Just want to be organised so I can enjoy every minute of this exciting adventure and not stress. o_O

be positive

Visit site
As you are starting from scratch if you can set up a secure area in front of the stables that is big enough to use as a grass free turnout that they can be kept in, with stable doors left open, I expect it could get a lot of use in the summer to restrict grazing and in winter to keep them out of the mud, unless you are lucky enough to not have any, little legs will struggle if we have another winter like this one, be very careful about the grazing in general as most farm land will be far too rich and laminitis is a constant worry with all ponies.

AppleBon12

Visit site
As you are starting from scratch if you can set up a secure area in front of the stables that is big enough to use as a grass free turnout that they can be kept in, with stable doors left open, I expect it could get a lot of use in the summer to restrict grazing and in winter to keep them out of the mud, unless you are lucky enough to not have any, little legs will struggle if we have another winter like this one, be very careful about the grazing in general as most farm land will be far too rich and laminitis is a constant worry with all ponies.

Had an absolute win with this, there are already a couple of areas that are drier and have been topped with tree wood chippings, just need to fence them off but we are going to eventually create a "yard" area as well on hard standing outside of their little stables with post and rail xx

meleeka

Visit site
If they are going to be ridden you may prefer to rug and/or clip. Shetland coats take an age to dry and with our weather it could mean less riding.

Id consider an electric fence if you don’t already have small paddocks, which could be used to restrict them.

AppleBon12

Visit site
Really really really substantial fencing!

What would you recommend? The big paddock is post and rail but it's over 2 acres so I need to create smaller paddocks inside. Then we have the winter paddock on wood chip (mentioned above) that I need to fence off too

AppleBon12

Visit site
If they are going to be ridden you may prefer to rug and/or clip. Shetland coats take an age to dry and with our weather it could mean less riding.

Id consider an electric fence if you don’t already have small paddocks, which could be used to restrict them.

At the minute one hasn't been backed due to age and the other is ridden but my little boy is only 1 so we ride for 10 minutes waving at everyone and then time to launch ourselves out the side door :D As he gets older starts doing more will definitely consider clipping xx

Roxylola

Visit site
Well, they are likely to run through any sort of temporary electric fences especially if it is off a battery rather than mains. Although clipping could be your friend there.

I'd suggest making sure any posts you put in are as solid and permanent as you can make them, if it is your own land maybe some sort of track system with little "gates" you can open up to let them in to the next bit along. I'd probably try and go for something like chicken wire really - sheep netting would be easy to get feet through, and as well tensioned as you can get it.

Also, if they are tiny you could get a sheep trailer rather than a horsebox; although if you get a box it must be the largest possible one you can find :p

be positive

Visit site
What would you recommend? The big paddock is post and rail but it's over 2 acres so I need to create smaller paddocks inside. Then we have the winter paddock on wood chip (mentioned above) that I need to fence off too

If you can set up a track around the 2 acres and leave the middle to grow, cut for hay and use as turnout in winter it would mean they move about far more than having tiny square paddocks, if you set it up well it will still work if and when you move onto bigger ponies.

Visit site
Fencing - dig it 6ft into the ground with brick wall and razor wire! And do the same above ground!! Build it round the ponies and have a removable ladder for humans to get in and out! Do NOT leave the ladder in with the ponies -they will climb it and escape! Don't forget to electrify your razor wire straight from the main surge at the powerstation!!!!!

Trouper

Visit site
Definitely a track system if you can - and as permanent as you can make it. And buy a weigh tape - you will need to monitor their weight very carefully if they are on lush grass.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I would put in a permanent post and rail quarter acre paddock, with a line of tape below the bottom rail and between the next 2 rails. Ensure the rails are on the INSIDE of this paddock. You could use chain link fencing, but be warned, little ponies love to itch on it!
Put in 2 gates so you can open it out into the rest of the field.
This small area will be good for dieting and a safe zone to leave them in, and should you go away then others can pop hay into them.
My 2 are fine with electric onto boundary permanent fencing, but little shits if anywhere sub divided with tape! Even when its kicking out hard!

Good luck, have fun! :)