Shetland Ponios how much land needed

newboult51

Visit site
We have a paddock of about 3/4 of an acre of good pasture. I know that this isn't enough for 2 14.2 ponies but what are the thoughts on keeping 2 mini shetlands? They'll have a stable if they need it and some hard standing in addition to the paddock.

Patchworkpony

Visit site
We have a paddock of about 3/4 of an acre of good pasture. I know that this isn't enough for 2 14.2 ponies but what are the thoughts on keeping 2 mini shetlands? They'll have a stable if they need it and some hard standing in addition to the paddock.
My vet would say that is more than enough land if you want to avoid laminitis. When I asked him the same question he said in his opinion 2 shetlands should live on just a large lawn with a shelter.

Orson Cart

Visit site
For two minis you will probably find that is actually rather too much land! So yes, u can keep two on that easily but you will still need to watch them very closely for laminitis, weight gain etc. they can balloon in weight just by looking at a blade of lush grass!

EmmaC78

Visit site
I agree that it would be fine. I keep mine on a lot less than that over the summer months and if you have the hard standing it would give them somewhere to keep out of the mud in the winter.

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
A friend of mine kept two mini Shetlands in a 1/4 acre paddock with shelter, and STILL had to mow the grass down with a lawnmower.

shetland pony

Visit site
My welsh A and shetland spend all summer on a patch less than half an acre and it would have been grazed in winter so really short grass and they don't need any extra. I'd have thought you could easily keep 4 if you manage the grazing and the grounds not too bad in winter.

L&M

Visit site
I kept two Shetlands on a paddock that size - I never let it rest, or rotated it, which kept it grazed down nicely. Tbh there was still too much grass on it in good growing weather, but only ever had to put out hay if it snowed in the winter. So yes that size paddock would be fine....

Apercrumbie

Visit site
Perfect for shetlands. You may have to muzzle in the summer still depending on what the grass is like. Alternatively you could strip graze them and only let them on the overgrown stuff in November/December when there isn't much sugar in the grass to avoid feeding hay. Just make sure all the fencing is good!

Polos Mum

Visit site
I'm keeping a 17.1 Irish sports horse and a Shetland on 0.6 of an acre - it'll last them all summer (April to Oct) and the Shetland is muzzled - plenty of space I'd have thought unless it's terrible land (steep, high or in the North of Scotland)

newboult51

Visit site
Thanks guys
No it's flat and in the south of England! It isn't very mature grass though...when we moved in last year it was all nettle and bramble so we killed those then basically had to start again and re-seed last spring. We put a couple of 15.1 horses on there for 4 months last summer and they did a pretty good munching job - I wouldn't have liked to have them on there over winter though.

Equi

Visit site
My three live on about 1/4 acre of bare ground with access to the acre field once every few days (Lami one muzzled) but two are miniature horses so don't hold the weight quite as much.

I'd rather feed soaked hay than risk Lami and my Lami one had a flare up because she got 4 polos from a visitor!

Polos Mum

Visit site
Thanks guys
I wouldn't have liked to have them on there over winter though.

I'd have a back up plan for really bad mud (which even the smallest of hooves will create) so access to a stable for a month or 2 over night or the ability to section off a small area for wood chip etc. but you should be find 10/11 months of the year - good luck

Enfys

Visit site
3/4 acres. Crikey, I have a friend who keeps 2 minis AND 2 quarter horses on that. Mind hay is available all year round.

My minis (30" and 34") used to live in a 1/4 acre paddock, which is more than it sounds, they had heaps of room to have a hooley, in summer they had grass to pick at and always had hay available.

shetland pony

Visit site
What about splitting into 3 and having one woodchip. If there's still too much grass you could use one in summer and use the other as standing fodder (I think that's what it's called) for the winter months and use the woodchip on bad days.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I'd split it up into paddocks and have them on a small part in summer and use the rest for winter. They could have a shelter to pen them in in the wettest times. I wouldn't use woodchip, it gets to be a soggy mess after a while and then is a pain to dispose of.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Or make them a Paddock Paradise, where they are on a track round the perimeter in the spring, summer, autumn months, when the grass is growing - with water one corner, shelter one corner, salt a third corner, so they keep walking round and round. The middle section can be used in the winter.