Shetland pony - advice on care please

Marigold4

Visit site
I've got a skewbald shetland pony aged about 9 on loan - standard rather than mini. She's to be a companion. Very nervous but we're working on it and she's responding. She's overweight, I think, under all that fluff. Teeth, vaccs and feet all up-to-date.

At present, she's in at night and mostly out during day but with a couple of hours in again at lunchtime to limit grass intake. In a small fenced off field area on her own at the mo until other horses get used to her. I'm feeding Marksway hifibre blue at night. She gets a handful of grassnuts when others are fed.

I'm keen to get a bit of weight off her before spring. Not had a tiny pony before. How much haylage should I give at night? Any other tips for reducing her weight?

She's also got a scurfy mane. Any tips on how to treat?

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Can you swap to soaked hay? That would help. Then she could have a decent amount in a small hole net. Maybe a bit of straw to pick at if she runs out as it’s lower calorie.
Mine wears a Flexible filly muzzle and last summer that was a life saver, he was also happy to wear it unlike most muzzles.
Any photos? Everyone here loves a Shetland photo!

Parrotperson

Visit site
Yes photos are compulsory! Small hole nets a must and put one over another can help to make it even better.

if she’s going out with your others on ad Lib grass she’s going to have to have a muzzle. And straw mixed in with gay yo bulk up means you can feed less hay.

Parrotperson

Visit site
Difficult from that angle (can you get a side on?) but most shitlands (HHO pet name for shetlands!) could do with losing but she doesn’t look huge.

she’s lovely!

Marigold4

Visit site
Difficult from that angle (can you get a side on?) but most shitlands (HHO pet name for shetlands!) could do with losing but she doesn’t look huge.

she’s lovely!

I did try to get side on but she's determined to keep both eyes on me! She's got a strange sort of indentation where the thick fur on the muzzle stops and the velvety nose starts. Is that normal??

Marigold4

Visit site
Yes photos are compulsory! Small hole nets a must and put one over another can help to make it even better.

if she’s going out with your others on ad Lib grass she’s going to have to have a muzzle. And straw mixed in with gay yo bulk up means you can feed less hay.

I'll try soaked hay tomorrow - she's certainly not keen on the haylage!

cauda equina

Visit site
In your photo there looks like a distinct line across her face, I wondered if she'd had a tight rope wrapped around her muzzle but a grown on headcollar might do it too :(