Shetland yes or no

misst

Visit site
I adore them and if I had land I would have at least 2 or 3 for fun BUT.... they are funny, sometimes affectionate, strong willed stubborn and feisty.
My daughters first pony was an older shitland on loan. He taught her lots and she learned to have a sticky bum and to persevere. We loved him and she had him from aged 8 - 10. She also raced and showed shitlands for a family until she was about 12. It was fantastic fun but they were neither sweet nor easy. We had experienced help and support and would not have survived without it!
Her next pony which was just for her and we bought rather than loaned was a connie x arab - fantastic all round challenging beautiful girl. The shitlands helped to build the confidence needed but were not easy first ponies and were not for the fainthearted! I would look for a nice PC all rounder who may well be older and wiser than your little girl :)

Visit site
You know I get so, so, SO annoyed when people spend their whole time slagging off shetland ponies! I really do! You lot have clearly me the stereotypical spoilt little brats and not the well mannered, well behaved ones from studs that have grown up with manners instilled into them! They can be fantastic little ponies on AND off the lead rein and yes they certainly teach the kid to ride and handle ponies properly but they are worth their weight in gold! Not one of mine bites, not one kicks, not one destroys fences (and the sweetitch pony is behind electric) not one sntaches or drags you for grass. My ridden ponies are actually much better off the lead rein as Open ponies as they never really have small kids riding them so they are well schooled and forward going but completely safe as houses. My stallions behave so well at shows that people often forget they are entire as they are so chilled out. Yes my yearling colt is a but noisey and hyper when out and about but he is a yearling that is only just learning about like away from home and I most certainly wouldn't be selling him to someone such as the OP gelded or not because he is just young. But I wouldn't hesitate to hand over the lead rein of ANY of my others - including my 29yo stallion and even the Wee Coloured Job when he was here to a child as they are so well mannered.

OP - 1-1.5k for a decent shetland is cheap right now for what people are selling them for. Your best bet is to go to straight to a stud. Many don't keep geldings around but if you are not adverse to a mare then many have some older (teenage) ponies they aren't breeding from any more that they are usually happy to part with. You don't need to be able to ride them to have fun. They are great wee ponies to show and at affiliated shows most have classes for Young Handlers. The Stud Book Society run a Young Exhibitors Scheme every year where you are marked on your handling skills no matter what class you enter and send in 5 scores, they tally up the points and award prizes at the end of the year to the best 3 or 4 in each age group.

Visit site
Totally wild Stallion...
Screenshot_20210711-212447_Facebook.jpg

Clearly utterly wild mare at her first show for a few years...
Screenshot_20210711-212455_Facebook.jpg

So badly behaved, snatching for grass and ploughing off...Screenshot_20210711-212602_Facebook.jpg

Borrowed child that had never sat on Flint before that morning won his class and out galloped all the large breeds in the championship
Screenshot_20210711-212637_Facebook.jpg

Same pony 10 years or so later with another random kid that sat on him for the first time 15mins before the class that they went on to win. He then got picked up by another random kid to do the young handlers with to come 4th at her first ever attempt at a showing class.
Screenshot_20210711-212825_Facebook.jpg

Between the Jockey and myself we are barely controlling this savage beast ...
Screenshot_20210711-212755_Facebook.jpg

Although this is me on her for the class win I chucked someone else on entirely straight after to ride her in the championship as I took my nephew and lead rein pony (the one above) in the championship.
Screenshot_20210711-212842_Facebook.jpg

Same mare as above - Clearly a wild savage and a stereotypical shetland...
Screenshot_20210711-213609_Facebook.jpg

Every single one of them is a truly lovely pony inside and out.

Adoni123

Visit site
I wouldn't settle on breed. Aim to get a suitable pony for your child no matter what the breed is. Some are naughty some aren't, same as every breed. I've seen things go wrong when people have an exact picture in their head of what breed etc they want. Just aim for a nice pony and it may be a shetland, but don't rule out a pony who is suitable because it's not a shetland :)

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I have a Shetland - I have to say they are surprisingly high maintenance. We joke that with the sport horses we spend our lives keeping them sound in their limbs and the Shetland to keep it alive in its body. Our Shetland had heatstroke last week after an hour of being out in warm weather at 3pm. We have been so careful as well, keeping her in during the day. We now have a massive thermometer so we don't turn her out if too warm. We are pananoid about lami and paranoid about colic. She is absolutely wonderful though and a brilliant companion to the neurotic eventers. I ride and lead with her and take her for walks. She loves humans and attention and is very sweet.