SHipping a saddle - what courier do you suggest?

applecart14

Visit site
Anyone use a courier for shipping saddles?

Who do you use and how much would it cost to send to someone within the UK mainland? Its a Wintec dressage saddle with two gullets. Do you put in a box or just wrap really well?

Many thanks

I love my Spanish horse

Visit site
It's usually less than a tenner, but I'd definitely put it in a box have never sent a saddle without one. Any of the main couriers are ok, There's a website where you can enter the size and weight of parcel and it comes up with say the top 5 cheapest and different options, whether you drop it off or have collected, next day delivery etc etc. If you google cheap couriers it should come up

ashlingm

Visit site
I bought two saddles online and had them shipped to Ireland. I used pharos parcel and found them excellent.

They collected at the sellers house and had it at my door within 2-3 days! SUPER CHEAP too!

Pretty sure they deliver around the UK too.

Chococat

Visit site
Have used MyHermes twice to send saddles. Took photos of various stages of packing and final parcel (large box with lots of bubble wrap) paid extra for signature on delivery and messaged buyer when they received saddle to make sure everything was ok. Have also sent several rugs and have never had a problem with them. Usually delivered within 3 working days.

eggs

Visit site
Usually I would have said My Hermes too but the last parcel they delivered to me the driver just chucked it over the gates and left it lying in the drive - the gates open if you drive up to them and I was in the house all day .....

gina2201

Visit site
I bought a saddle online, and whilst i use other couriers for not so expensive goods due to cost - I used Parcelforce to collect and deliver my saddle, yes it was a bit more costly, but i had upped the insurance cover and I did also pay for next day delivery however they did what i asked regarding not allowing the box itself to get damaged by not putting it underneath anything and it arrived in perfect condition at about 9am the next day!

dixie

Visit site
I've used Yodel with great success. about a tenner for delivering a saddle from Norfolk to Devon.
Also used My Hermes and they were rubbish. Took weeks to deliver saddle and lied about collection dates, delivery etc. However, I know many people who have had a good service, so no doubt it depends on the person who is dealing with it.

applecart14

Visit site
Thanks for all your replies. Been a change of plan now but at least I will know for next time if I sell anything else on ebay so thanks for your suggestions. My Dad has decided he could do with a road trip so has said he will deliver it. Only 50 miles each way! He must be mad. But he's been housebound sick for a while so is glad to get out of the house for a bit and used to travel hundreds of miles with his job before he retired so is longing for a long drive!

Bless him he is an angel and I've offered the money I got via the purchaser via paypal (for the courier) for his diesel.

sidewaysonacob

Visit site
the last time I posted a saddle (synthetic) I put a fleece over on it, wrapped in bubble wrap x 2 layers (extra on cantle), then filled the gaps in with newspaper and inflated balloons :)

applecart14

Visit site
the last time I posted a saddle (synthetic) I put a fleece over on it, wrapped in bubble wrap x 2 layers (extra on cantle), then filled the gaps in with newspaper and inflated balloons :)

Good idea, with the balloons but fraught with problems I'd have thought. I can imagine the postman/courier drivers reaction had the balloon gone off. If one had burst in the sorting office the whole sorting office would be abandoned and the bomb squad called - OMG! :(

notsobad

Visit site
parcel 2 go is a great site, it gives you all the options depending on your priorities...ie ups for cheapest next day, or hermes if you are not bothered about a couple of days in trnasit. everything is automaticly tracked too. Highlands Islands and northern ireland i use royal mail, but out of all the hundreds ive posted out over the last 8 years the royal mail is most definately the least reliable.

CeeBee

Visit site
Sorry to drag up an old thread. I thought I would try Hermes to post a saddle but when getting a quote online it says my box is too big. Are they really strict on the size or should I try elsewhere and if so, any further recommendations?

gallopingby

Visit site
Have a look at the FB page about Hermes! Think it may depend where you live in the country and where parcel is going to potluck whether it arrives in one piece or at all. If you use them you need to make sure sufficient insurance to cover non delivery/breakage. It would appear most of the contractors are self employed and use their own transport to deliver, personally I use parcel force - maybe more expensive but items usually arrive quickly and intact.

case895

Visit site
The courier firms are all as bad as each other. The paying client end (drop off or pick up) are good, the background logistics is usually good, but at the delivery end it comes down to some clown in a van. I have had both good and bad experiences off the same companies. Bad experiences include things thrown over the fence, dropped at the gates in the rain and put inside a recycling box on collection day (fortunately after they had collected and fortunately too that I looked).