shire x tb - temperment etc

Obilicious

Visit site
Hi all ,
was just wondering what the shire x tb temperment is like ( do they have the head of a tb or shire or does it vary ? )
those who own them what are yours like ( please include a pic! )

any other info please :)

Thanks in advance

sparky1981

Visit site
The best horse I have ever owned is a shire x tb. He had s brilliant character, very easy to do. Jumped amazingly and is now doing newcomers bs. He was generally very sane and fantastic hacking even with my novice husband and a dream in open spaces. Are you thinking of buying one?

Jenny Wrenny

Visit site
I know a few Shire x TB's and my grandfather bred a lovely one many years ago. All are/were nice hunters, calm and kind nature, big, hardy, jumped well and generally nice sorts, although not ploddy types. I would say the few I know have the head of the Shire and I know that the dam was the Shire and stallion was the TB, I'm not sure if this makes any difference. I did look at one to buy myself but felt he was just too big for me. Sorry, I don't have any pictures.

Auslander

Visit site
Very very much depends. You can get some very classy looking sports horse types, and you can get some weedy, common looking ones. Shires are often looked upon as placid, but in my experience, some can be very sharp and sensitive, and when you combine that with TB speed and agility, you can find yourself with quite a handful!
My horse is (believed to be) ShirexTB, of the sportier persuasion, and he is fabulous (PSG dressage horse in his younger days) but he is not an amateurs horse. He's sharp, sensitive, and can be extremely tricky. I've lost count of the times he's had me hanging off the side - and I'm very sticky! He freaked out and tried to bury me the moment I got on him when he first arrived, but once he'd decided I was ok, he was on my side totally (apart from when dragons hide in hedges!)
I love him to death - my horse of a lifetime!

1920213_10152601987230730_1867553786278998599_n.jpg

eggs

Visit site
The only one I have ever ridden was rather sharp but a great mover. I don't know which parent was Shire and which was TB. He was a lovely horse but not a novice ride.

Obilicious

Visit site
i have seen a LOOVVVEERLLYY shire x tb but is only 5 1/2 and hasnt been ridden since spring and is 17hh ( all the combination of a nightmare) but the horses face looks really genuine and is pics of a young teen riding it last year so not sure + doing my research lol :p

old hand

Visit site
one of my best horses was shire/TB TB was the sire. He was very sensitive and sharp but absolutely genuine. Brilliant showjumper to 1.40, very good dressage and extremely sensible hunter, but did need a very good rider and one with stickability at that. He was 17hh at 4 and 18hh at seven. he did take loads of flatwork to produce a decent showjumping canter, broke him at three and did not compete until he was 6.5. His TB sire was also very sharp and unpredictable so his temperament came from there, the mother was very sensible. I would check the parents and do the string test to see how big he will get. if he is heavy at 4 he will be very wide and hefty when he matures. it depends what you want. mine was one of the best horses I have ever had and was sound until he was 23.

hoggedmane

Visit site
I have one - she is amazing. I have had her for 14 years. She is now 24 but you wouldn't know it. People ask if she is a baby when we go to sponsored rides etc. She looks like a warhorse. She jumps like a stag and loves life. Definitely not a plod. Very sharp and intelligent to ride. She used to buck a bit (for fun not to get me off) but doesn't now. My instructor never says the word canter - she has to say go up a gear or just think about going faster. She is very light on her feet and light off the leg and definitely not a novice ride. She gives the arabs and TB in the yard a run for their money. I went on a course on her and was told I should be doing affiliated dressage but I never have. The soundest horse I know. She knows the sound of my car or the tread of my boots and whinnies. (People on yard say she doesn't react to any other noises). She comes to call in the field and is such an interesting character. She loves to please but can be exuberant in her efforts to do so. Her mother was shire and her father TB. If I could clone her I would. My friend is very jealous because children keep saying ' look at that horse it looks just like Black Beauty' without giving her (rather lovely) gelding a second glance. Here she is in the field - don't have any ridden photos on this computer.
35bc7zc.jpg

tangoharvey

Visit site
I have one - she is amazing. I have had her for 14 years. She is now 24 but you wouldn't know it. People ask if she is a baby when we go to sponsored rides etc. She looks like a warhorse. She jumps like a stag and loves life. Definitely not a plod. Very sharp and intelligent to ride. She used to buck a bit (for fun not to get me off) but doesn't now. My instructor never says the word canter - she has to say go up a gear or just think about going faster. She is very light on her feet and light off the leg and definitely not a novice ride. She gives the arabs and TB in the yard a run for their money. I went on a course on her and was told I should be doing affiliated dressage but I never have. The soundest horse I know. She knows the sound of my car or the tread of my boots and whinnies. (People on yard say she doesn't react to any other noises). She comes to call in the field and is such an interesting character. She loves to please but can be exuberant in her efforts to do so. Her mother was shire and her father TB. If I could clone her I would. My friend is very jealous because children keep saying ' look at that horse it looks just like Black Beauty' without giving her (rather lovely) gelding a second glance. Here she is in the field - don't have any ridden photos on this computer.
35bc7zc.jpg

God she looks just like mine! :)

hoggedmane

Visit site
She does doesn't she! I hope yours turns out as nice as mine is.

How is yours bred? Mine is by Alamein who was by Brigadier Gerard. She is out of a shire mare called Dulcie who was bought from a gypsy in Gloucestershire.

MPop

Visit site
I own a 10 year old 16.1hh Shire x TB. He is much more Shire than TB in looks and is very heavy set but has smaller legs than a pure bred shire. He is very quiet and completely looks after me - although he does have a stubborn attitude and could easily walk all over (literally) his handler if he didn't have his manners kept in check. He is a very good all rounder and jumps nicely, but I don't ask too much of him.

We have another Shire x TB on our yard who is an eventer and flies around everywhere.