Shire x TB when will they be back in 'fashion'

ksequestrian

Visit site
I have been hunting for another shire x TB for what seems like years to compete SJ but they just do not seem to be popular, or is it that no one wants to ever sell them once they find one! I have one 'the showjumpingshire' and she is absolutely amazing, bold, trainable with attitude and whenever I come across other shire x tb owners out competing they say the same thing so why is it that no one breeds them any more??? They have the heart of the shire with the agility of the TB and enough attitude to make great competition horses, so why have they become a thing of the past?

Merrist+Wood+2012.jpg

http://showjumpingshire.blogspot.co.uk

Last edited:

ksequestrian

Visit site
Thanks for reply Charlotte and that you agree they are lovely! But do you find there are not that many about? I think i have come across a handful at shows I did read about one being a grand prix dressage horse so they are obviously capable in all disciplines

Charlotte125

Visit site
Yeah he's lovely and competing at 2*! I do struggle with keeping weight on him though. He does have a little brother and sister who are completely different stamps but both have the same nature as their shire mum (and for sale).

ksequestrian

Visit site
Oh could you message me more details on the for sale ones please :) have you tried putting him on blue chip pro it's expensive but does last a long time and you notice a difference v quick

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
They might not be less popular, it could be that you can't always guarantee what 'kind' of horse they come out like? My shire x TB is your classic LW show cob build, I have known another that looked all shire (but a little bit finer) and one that had a shire body with TB legs so it had no end of leg problems. Perhaps this means that it would perhaps not be profitable enough to breed them as a business.

Kokopelli

Visit site
I saw an amazing arab x shire not long ago winning the 1.30m at a show! They are amazing animals, can't ever see myself having one though as at 5ft I'd look like a pea on a drum. :)

kizzyjerry

Visit site
I brought this lad from metheringham upton shires two years ago when looking after retiring my shire x tb (he's actually a WB x though) not sure what they have now but they had quite a few nice crossed youngsters.

9efb911d-e9f4-4884-8fe5-32acfee14f7f_zps94f7b0ae.jpg
[/URL]

my first lad was from david cosgrove in hainton, lincs 14 years ago - but he was still breeding when i started looking again.

not sure if your after a youngster or something ready to go but they all seemed to know each other so might be worth contacting (both can be found via google)

anna22

Visit site
I've just remembered where I saw them for sale, its a stud in Market Drayton, Shropshire... I think it was on preloved maybe?

hoggedmane

Visit site
Never went out of fashion with me - I have a lovely 22 year old one. She jumps like a stag and people still think she's a baby when they see her out. Never sick or sorry and a great fun can do attitude.

I will be looking for another one when the time comes (hopefully not too soon!)

Some lovely photos on this thread.

33axuyt.jpg

Last edited:

bouncingbean

Visit site
I had one on loan a couple of years back, he was fab, had his issues but nothing drastic. Had him for two years, the option for buying him was discussed as the loan came to an end and we would have jumped at the chance but in the end his owner decided she wanted to keep him so she could get back into riding :( gutting for us but no surprise.
Haven't seen many tb x shires advertised neither then nor now (although to be fair don't search horses for loan/sale often these days, just have a browse every so often), just happened across his advert in the local feed merchants when buying feed for the oldies, as luck would have it :)

Millie-Rose

Visit site
I've got a 3/4 TB 1/4 shire and she is fantastic she looks like solid TB and has gallop and athleticism but has a sane brain. We compete at BE90 ready to move up to BE100 and she has scope for at least BE Novice. However she is equally at home hacking on a loose rein and is so bombproof I'm sure I could hack her down the M25 if I wanted to. Her sire was Secret Rumour who was half and half and was a showjumper (I believe grade A) ridden by Nick Skelton.

Auslander

Visit site
Oooh lovely Auslander !!

He's very special - and I'm hugely privileged to have him. Today has been a fabulous day - he has been off for nearly a year with suspensory problems, but today, he was scanned and trotted up - and pronounced sound and ready to start work again. I cried buckets...

Incidentally - if anyone recognises him, I am not Fiona (rider in the pic!)

TarrSteps

Visit site
^^ Ditto North America. There are no 'cobs' as such so draught x's fill that slot. Back in the day, Clyde x tb x Hackney were the 'purpose bred' heavier jumping horses and they are still very popular as hunt horses, low level eventers etc

ksequestrian

Visit site
That is great news Auslander i bet you're thrilled, I know how you feel I have finally started jumping my mare again and keeping fingers crossed we stay sound to get out to our first competition of the year, but she is 18 now which is why I'm desperately looking for another - maybe I'll just get her cloned :)

1life

Visit site
Oh could you message me more details on the for sale ones please :) have you tried putting him on blue chip pro it's expensive but does last a long time and you notice a difference v quick

Try the Dodson and Horrell 'Build and Glow' Not as expensive and we've had great results from it for a skinny tb.

The Shire x TB is my favourite! You're right though, they do seem to have dropped off the 'favourites' radar.

C&C

Visit site
I also have a fab 22yr old Shire x TB. Had him since he was 3. He is still full of life, fit and competing in 80cm ODEs as well as Showing. They are defo popular round my area. Have another one at te same yard and there were 3 at my last yard! If anything i would say they are becoming more and more 'fashionable' ;-)

I do agree on the post about not knowing what u will get! I have been liky with my boy, he is a good looking half n half with plenty of bone but not too heavy and a very nice head. I have seen some that are very 'shirey' and others that are like TBs with feet like dustbin lids! Lol

The Clydesdale x TB is also nice :)

Good luck with ur search. I would have another tomorrow if the right one popped up :)