Shires (and other) tweed jackets - sizing & fit?

Widgeon

Visit site
Could anyone offer me their experiences of the fit of Shires jackets - i.e. are all Shires designs similar?

I'm looking for a tweed type jacket for showing a native at some local shows in the summer, and tried on a Shires Aubrion Saratoga in a 36 (my usual size - I'm a 36C in bras, FWIW) and it fitted pretty well - I have big shoulders and it was generous enough whilst not being too big elsewhere.

However I also tried a (different brand, obviously) Firefoot tweed jacket and found that a 38 was too small in the shoulders and too big elsewhere - so:

1. manufacturers are obviously very different sizes
2. can I trust Shires to make all their jackets to a similar fit? There are a couple of bargain Shires jackets on Preloved and I'm thinking about taking a punt on one of them, as they're half the price of new. See this one and this one, if you have made it this far!

Any advice on your personal experiences and fits of any other makes of jacket would also be welcomed. I know there are threads on this already but they're a few years old, and given the way that manufacturers like to change their sizing, I thought some current info would be handy.

Many thanks all!

Bernster

Visit site
I've had a couple of Shires jackets (show and tweed) and found the fit pretty consistent. I have a shires tweed and I like it - arms are maybe a little snug and it's not massive in the chest but it fits nicely.

Wheels

Visit site
I think the tweed ones are quite nice for the money but they're the wrong shape for me, if they fit my boobs they are too big everywhere else, if they fit everywhere else they are too tight on my boobs lol

I went for a nicely fitted mears instead, sample sale on eBay for a very similar price to the shires

Equi

Visit site
I had to go up a size on mine but my boobs have a total mind of their own. One day my jacket fit, the next day i tried it again and i popped the button! Literally!

Widgeon

Visit site
I went for a nicely fitted mears instead, sample sale on eBay for a very similar price to the shires

Ooh you're right, they are lovely and there are loads on eBay in my (probable) size - would you say that a Mears jacket in your usual jacket size fitted you, or did you have to go two inches up?

I had to go up a size on mine but my boobs have a total mind of their own. One day my jacket fit, the next day i tried it again and i popped the button! Literally!

I suppose at least I don’t have expanda-boobs to deal with…..mine stay the same size most of the time. Thank you for the comedy start to my Tuesday morning equi, I had to laugh although buying clothes must be tricky for you!!

Wheels

Visit site
Ooh you're right, they are lovely and there are loads on eBay in my (probable) size - would you say that a Mears jacket in your usual jacket size fitted you, or did you have to go two inches up?

!

I got the same size in Mears as I would have bought in Shires, but the boob part fits :D

Chippers1

Visit site
I had a Shires tweed that I owned for about 11 years and I've recently replaced with a new Shires tweed, both fit me pretty much exactly the same - even down to the arms being slightly short on both but this is due to the fact that they're both age 12 as i'm really tiny!

jnb

Visit site
Tip on tweeds(or other jackets) if tight over the boobs.....remove the buttons and sew back on with shirring elastic ;)