Shivering hairy Shetland - weather must be bad

LOZHUG

Visit site
My poor fluffy shettie was shivering this morning and we don't even have snow just cold winds and wet stuff! :( I know he can take the weather but I feel bad and don't want him shivering tonight as well.

If its going to be as rough tonight with wind and rain I may put a rug him but he won't be 100% dry though.

Would it be ok to put a rug on him like that as I can't bring him in to dry off? :(

He had a little bit of breakfast and they have both had a big net again this morning :)

Thanks in advance

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
The best thing you can do for him is to ensure he has a constant access to hay, fed in a sheltered spot.

Pep12

Visit site
If he is soaked through to his skin, he will shiver. Mine does that too. he can cope with extremem cold but not soaked through and cold. if it is a breathable rug he will be fine to put on him. At least it keeps the wind chill out. Plenty of hay too as gives them their own little radiator :)

mavandkaz

Visit site
one of my shetties was shivering a little this morning, she just doesn't seem to be quite as water proof as the other. she has gotten cold in the past when its been wet and windy for a sustained period of time.
I also gave her a feed this morn, which she wouldn't normally get, and a fresh pile of hay. will check on her later and if she is still shivering will put a rug on her. have done this before and as long as it wicks away the water from her coat i don't see a problem with it, the main worry is if they over heat with it on.
we have had snow, which was settling on her back and her coat is not wet all the way through so i think she will probs be alright to stay naked, especially now the wind has dropped, but will assess later. luckily they haven't started moulting yet.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Please dont rug him as you will flatten his coat & get moisture trapped in the coat & under the rug. Only do this if you are able to keep changing rugs as he dries underneath.

Try taking him for a brisk walk & then feeding him a good pile of hay in a sheltered patch by a tree/bush.

Its in extreme weather conditions that I abandon small pony diets & feed ad-lib hay till weather improves.

Hope he warms up a bit, but to shiver is a natural thing to keep warm in a horse/pony.

LOZHUG

Visit site
Thanks amymay and Pep12. They have quite good shelter as he has made dens in the gorse so I hang their nets up in there out of the worst of the weather, I may put a couple of nets up to make sure they have enough for both of them over night.

I have a Weatherbeeta rug with a bit of fill for him quite a new one so assume that will be breathable? He has managed all winter without his rug but as we are on the North East coast of Anglesey the winds are bitterly cold coming in from the Irish Sea. Think in the 8 years I have owned him this is the second time I have seen him shiver bless him. My big lad is in his H/W and is just warm. Roll on summer :D

Madness to think my big lad had his rug off during the day a couple of weeks ago as its so warm :(

LOZHUG

Visit site
I could try thatching as long as I make it to the back field still with straw in tow. The winds were gusting so bad this morning I almost got blown off my feet