Shivering TB?

FestiveSpirit

Visit site
I have just rescued my TB from the field and put him in his stable as he was shivering out there
crazy.gif
It is not that cold today - definitely above freezing, with a sporadic wind and almost constant rain which is occasionally sleet
frown.gif
He has a heavy weight turnout rug with neck cover on.

I have never ever had a horse which shivered before
crazy.gif
- and whilst it sounds an obvious question, how do you manage your horse if it does this? Do you put more rugs on and turn out, or do you keep them in on cold days
confused.gif

PS - I know this sounds like a complete beginners question, but I have had horses for about 20 years now, honest
tongue.gif
grin.gif

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
The wind and rain will do it every time - and my horse was exactly the same yesterday when I brought him in. (despite a HW rug on).

My solution is to have him oout for less time.

Smurphy

Visit site
my tb only does this when he has got wet, have you got a neck cover? I find that helps. I dont think more rugs would help, it doesnt really matter once they are wet

FestiveSpirit

Visit site
Okey dokey I will put an extra rug on him as well, and ask the YO to get him in at lunchtime if I am at work
smile.gif
I am quite surprised TBH as I am sure he has been out in worse weather since I have had him (got him Oct last year) without shivering - but never mind, he can be a cosseted stable horse
grin.gif

Thanks SS
smile.gif

FestiveSpirit

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
my tb only does this when he has got wet, have you got a neck cover? I find that helps. I dont think more rugs would help, it doesnt really matter once they are wet

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yes, his HW rug is a Rhino one so has a neck cover included? I check him very carefully every night and he is never wet under the rug, he is always bone dry and toasty warm - except for his legs of course - although obviously he stays warm by shivering
crazy.gif

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I think a lot depends on the direction of the wind GH. And certainly mine has been out in worse, and not bothered.

However, he dragged me in yesterday (whereas usually if his mates are out I'm the one doing the dragging, LOL).

legaldancer

Visit site
I have a 21 year old TB who has a hunter clip this year. Previously he's been blanket clipped & sometimes a 400g HW rug hasn't been enough & he's needed a liner underneath. He hasn't shivered this winter, but has a 200g liner with a 360g HW with neck on top.

When they are already cold I usually bring in & put on a thermatex or warmer rug & feed them hay until they've warmed up. Then they go out again with a warmer rug on than previously.

I find I get more shivering problems in May & June on foul, wet days when they've got summer coats & are living out, than in winter.

MyBoyChe

Visit site
My TB hates being wet. He has a good quality rug with neck cover and this year only has a bib clip. I think when it's raining constantly, like today, after a while the rug gets even heavier and he just stands in one spot looking throughly fed up, on occasions he stands and shivers. He comes in backwards, (hates walking with rain in his face) and once in with a warm, dry rug, huge haynet and his treat ball cheers up straight away. I think he's a bit of a delicate little flower
grin.gif

china

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
My TB hates being wet. He has a good quality rug with neck cover and this year only has a bib clip. I think when it's raining constantly, like today, after a while the rug gets even heavier and he just stands in one spot looking throughly fed up, on occasions he stands and shivers. He comes in backwards, (hates walking with rain in his face) and once in with a warm, dry rug, huge haynet and his treat ball cheers up straight away. I think he's a bit of a delicate little flower
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
we must have twins!! mine is exactly the same to a tea!!
prince shivers when his rug is wet and heavy or its wet and windy so i take the wet rug off and put a couple of nice dry rugs on to warm him up, one of these is usually a fleece as i find they get warmer quicker in them.

Echo Bravo

Visit site
Wind chill factor, put a fleece under my mare's rug and she's as warm as toast, although this morning had to get vet out as she'd got colic 2nd time in the 6 years I've owned her and that I've put down to the weather even thou she's turned out every day.