Shivers Horse Behaviour Deteriorating / Violent Outbursts

llohcins

www.thehorsediva.co.uk
Does anyone have a horse with shivers who's behaviour has deteriorated but physically symptoms are very minor? Off and on over the last 4 months he's been having violent outbursts/ major panics. This can be in the stable, riding or in hand. Sometimes something will set him off, other times it comes from nowhere. He's normally a very quiet chap, wanting to please. I have tried various calmers which all make him worse. He's on low sugar, starch diet which has been checked by an equine nutritionalist. He's totally sound and I've had back, body work, saddle, teeth etc done. He has plenty of turnout and exercise though sadly now have stopped riding him over the last 10 days as it's getting a bit dangerous. At the back of my mind I am thinking it may be neurological or ulcers (though visually he's never looked better). Calling the vet today anyway just wondered if anyone had experienced this?

ihatework

Visit site
Sometimes if a horse has an obvious condition, eg shivers, it’s very easy to assume that any behaviour or performance change is due to that. Of course it may be, but there are a whole host of other things that can be going on and the shivers could be a red herring.

Vet check is the starting point here

Shay

Visit site
Glad you are getting the vet out - sounds like he is in a lot of pain somewhere. Shivers is progressive and the end stages can be characterised by an increasingly uncomfortable and distressed horse. But ihatework is also right - its easy to jump to that conclusion when the pain is actually elsewhere. It would be a good idea to get a full lameness work up and if that doesn't show anything I would wonder about ulcers.

2 ponies 2 dogs

New User
Visit site
I had a Welsh Cob a few years ago who we think had pssm and would go very Wobblers like. I used to give him Vitamin E twice a day in a small AP FF feed and the difference was incredible.. I think sometimes the aggression was confusion and fear to why he was feeling like that. Sadly one day it all became a bit to much for him and I made the hardest decision I have ever had to make.. Good Luck with yours.

llohcins

www.thehorsediva.co.uk
I had a Welsh Cob a few years ago who we think had pssm and would go very Wobblers like. I used to give him Vitamin E twice a day in a small AP FF feed and the difference was incredible.. I think sometimes the aggression was confusion and fear to why he was feeling like that. Sadly one day it all became a bit to much for him and I made the hardest decision I have ever had to make.. Good Luck with yours.

Thanks, after his scope we found he had minor ulcers in the lower part of his tummy, but nothing major, though he is on ulcer treatment to clear them up. I have tried to get him to take a vit e supplement but he just won't eat it! Can I ask which one you use? Like yours he can get rather aggressive but I think it is coming from a bad place - its when he gets really stressed! Thanks x