Shivers - should I get a vets diagnosis?

jessie7

Visit site
Looking for some advice.

I have a 5yr old Irish Draught gelding who I strongly suspect has shivers but I’ve not had a vet look at him. He struggles with being shod on one leg and presents with other symptoms- twitching of the head and neck. However he also drags his toes behind, especially downhill.

What are people’s experiences? He’s fully insured so having the vet look at him is not an issue, I just struggle to see the value if all they will say is ‘yes he’s got shivers’ as I know it’s untreatable. He’s fine to ride (at the moment) and I’ve been taking things slowly with him due to ID being late to mature and so far haven’t had any issues under saddle.

Thanks for reading!

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
Latest research fromKentucky Ewuine Research state that Vitamin E and Selenium is often deficient in these horses and can be helpful. Its more common in horses over 16.2hh, WB's and Draught types and geldings as well as more often seen in horses over 5. Also common is PSSM, its been discovered that most Shiverer cases also have PSSM. Shivers is a progressive disease but it can also be a slow progression and i have heard of horses working at a high level that have it. Here is a really interesting link although you have probably done your own research. It explains symptoms which are very characteristic of this disease.https://cvm.msu.edu/research/facult...ics/valberg-laboratory/information-on-shivers

Last edited: