Shock Absorbing half pads

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
I really rate my Ogilvy half pad. It is medical grade memory foam apparently, but it works well under close contact saddles with flat panels. I am not sure how well it would work under a flocked panel with more density.

ETA: Equiport are the main stockist in the UK.

Some horses like squishy, fluffy memory foam but it's almost by definition a slow recovery foam, so adds a layer for soft tissue expansion but doesn't absorb shock in the same way. Jen Hegeman I think felt it wasn't correctly marketed (or priced!) in the US, but I'd not come across them here at the time...

Horses are definitely individuals, as are riders, and if something works for a combo (and isn't generating heat or some other side effect) then I'm 100% pragmatist. I do have principles over advertising, provable performance and pricing though when making recommendations to people about to spend their own money.

teddy_

Visit site
Some horses like squishy, fluffy memory foam but it's almost by definition a slow recovery foam, so adds a layer for soft tissue expansion but doesn't absorb shock in the same way. Jen Hegeman I think felt it wasn't correctly marketed (or priced!) in the US, but I'd not come across them here at the time...

Horses are definitely individuals, as are riders, and if something works for a combo (and isn't generating heat or some other side effect) then I'm 100% pragmatist. I do have principles over advertising, provable performance and pricing though when making recommendations to people about to spend their own money.
I agree, I was merely speaking from personal experience, not saying the OP should buy an Ogilvy half pad. More that it might be something to consider or try, based on the post.

IME this pad has worked well on several horses of varying type, granted only wearing French jumping saddles (Butet and Bruno Delgrange if we are being specific) that have flat panels.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Here is with saddle and prolite on top

Attachments

• A615528B-7A65-44C0-BE18-3E7F9B2718D1.jpeg
    A615528B-7A65-44C0-BE18-3E7F9B2718D1.jpeg
    15.1 KB · Views: 66
  • BF914585-FED0-4537-BE62-10F5660DADF1.jpeg
    BF914585-FED0-4537-BE62-10F5660DADF1.jpeg
    33.8 KB · Views: 64

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Here is with saddle and prolite on top

It's not that it doesn't fit my saddle in shape, it's that the actual part of the pad with the shock absorbing material is slim, and IMO would be better a bit wider. I would say it's not identical to a prolite as far as the width of the actual shock absorbing material. I have pads and can perhaps provide an illustration of what I mean...if I can find the Prolite ?

Edit: I'm on the fence about it. I haven't had time to send it back yet. I would be curious to see how it feels while riding, but then I can't return it. I can hope to get most of my money back if I resell it I suppose.

Last edited:

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
So, here are more photos of an Invictus vs a Prolite. The Invictus has less shock absorbing material in the pad and is more narrow. In one of the photos I highlighted the space between the two gray lines/seams. There is no shock absorbing material there. Below the gray there there is. I feel as though my saddle, especially at the rear of the pad sits on the edge of the material and I'm not sure how I feel about it, but I guess it could be fine.

The Prolite is definitely larger, and when when you pull the pad up into the gullet (as I do) there is still a bit more shock absorbing material under the saddle panels in comparison to the Invictus which does offer a wider area for the spine.

The Invictus has a wider space for the spine, this could be a benefit. The pad can definitely work with many saddles I'm sure, and even my own perhaps if I 100% line it up exactly so.

At the moment, I prefer the fit of the Thinline (trifecta - no sheepskin) for this particular horse and saddle.

Thickness of the prolite vs the Invictus is about the same.

Screenshot_20220210-163052_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220210-163119_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220210-163038_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220210-163028_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220210-163017_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220210-163006_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220210-162953_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220210-162940_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220210-162929_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220210-162913_Gallery.jpg

AFB

Visit site
Hmm it doesn't look the best design does it - too much binding that could cause pressure points if not lined up nicely. I don't like the unnecessary binding along the edge of the gullet, if that's not pulled up properly you've got a ridge the length of the saddle.

Not upset at missing out on the offer now.

sbloom

Hmm it doesn't look the best design does it - too much binding that could cause pressure points if not lined up nicely. I don't like the unnecessary binding along the edge of the gullet, if that's not pulled up properly you've got a ridge the length of the saddle.

Not upset at missing out on the offer now.

Honestly those aspects really do not cause an issue. The binding is very flat and only on the upper side anyway, the lower side is flat, if you pull the middle of the pad up into the channel it's at least as good as a design as any of the "industry standard" pads like Prolite yet with materials that really perform. The useable width of d3o in the centre of the each panel is 125mm, most saddle panels are narrower than that.

These are really good pads unless you have a very wide seated saddle.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
My only concern with the VIP is that it's rather flat in profile. So does it work well on a high withered horse? It isn't contoured in the topline/spine, so I wasn't sure. That's my only question with that particular pad.

TPO

Visit site
My only concern with the VIP is that it's rather flat in profile. So does it work well on a high withered horse? It isn't contoured in the topline/spine, so I wasn't sure. That's my only question with that particular pad.

The last tb I used it on had a decent wither but not a "shark fin" iykwim.

He was in 17.5" GP. It fitted him/saddle when pulled up into the gullet with saddle cloth and went beyond the saddle panels.

We didn't bo anything more vigorous then hacking and a few circles so can't comment re jumping etc but it didn't budge and horse appeared comfortable wearing it

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
The last tb I used it on had a decent wither but not a "shark fin" iykwim.

He was in 17.5" GP. It fitted him/saddle when pulled up into the gullet with saddle cloth and went beyond the saddle panels.

We didn't bo anything more vigorous then hacking and a few circles so can't comment re jumping etc but it didn't budge and horse appeared comfortable wearing it

Good to know, thanks.

I was about to purchase one awhile back but the color/size I needed was out of stock everywhere, so I opted for the Thinline at the time. Still curious about the VIP though, and will consider it in the future if I'm looking again.

Reactions: TPO

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I still just wish that the Invictus was a bit wider/bigger. That was really my only issue.

I've also thought about some shock absorbing pads dulling aids, so that's interesting that it's mentioned.

KEK

Visit site
Stupid question- would this likely help the rider too with shock absorption? I have an arthritic coccyx and ride a bouncy Connemara. Already ride in a block the shock seat saver. He has a Black Country dressage saddle.

sbloom

Interesting, but why don't they compare it to sheepskin or wool felt?
Also, what is "protection value"? I would prefer to see the real parameter they measured.

They chose to test against what people see as their main competitor. You're right that they've not included actual figures, apologies, I'm sure I've seen the data on their page somewhere, showing what makes up protection value.

Palindrome

Visit site
They chose to test against what people see as their main competitor. You're right that they've not included actual figures, apologies, I'm sure I've seen the data on their page somewhere, showing what makes up protection value.

No worries, it's not your fault, but yes indeed they have more info on their website :
https://invictus-equestrian.com/pages/performance

Sunshine8

Visit site
I use a "thinline" pad for a sensitive mare and it has been great and doesn't cause as many issues with saddle fitting due to her big shoulders and no withers as a thicker wool pad would. There are some research articles and tests around on these. Definitely worth spending a bit extra in my opinion

sbloom

Here's the science page for Invictus - https://invictus-equestrian.com/pages/performance. Testing performed to British Standards, and "protection value" is impact energy divided by peak transmission force (PTF=the measured pressure in kN (kiloNewtons) that can be felt through a material).

@Sunshine8 it all depends how you're fitting, the way I fit I'd often find using a thicker sheepskin pad useful on a very low withered and big shouldered horse, it helps the flaps clear the shoulders, and can lift the front of the saddle very slightly and with many very low withered horses being croup high, it can work in your favour. As I say, depends on the fitting approach, the design of the saddle itself and the specific build of the horse.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
Found this post really interesting. Thanks all. Quick question @sbloom had my saddle checked yesterday, the saddler said until my mare builds up more topline (coming back into work from hock op) she would benefit from a sheepskin half pad or something thicker under the saddle because it lifts ever so slightly on the right rein at the back.

The Kavalkade Invictus D30 pad is now full price (£150) but I was always told how bad sheepskin half pads are.. but by reading to your comments they sound good RE shock absorb wise?

A friend has a Equigel pad, are these any good?

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
A good quality, well fitted sheepskin pad is far from bad, IMHO.

I had one horse who didn't like sheepskin so much, it that doesn't mean that it was bad. He just had preferences and was rather sensitive.

I remember my old saddler (sadly no longer with us) saying how sheepskin half pads with a saddle pad were just a fashion fad and was too much bulk under a saddle.

Is that how they’re correctly used? Sheepskin half pad on top of a thin saddle pad is what the saddler was advising I believe.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I remember my old saddler (sadly no longer with us) saying how sheepskin half pads with a saddle pad were just a fashion fad and was too much bulk under a saddle.

Is that how they’re correctly used? Sheepskin half pad on top of a thin saddle pad is what the saddler was advising I believe.

If the saddle isn't fitted correctly with the pad, then it can be too much bulk, tight, or otherwise alter the fit in a negative way.

I don't like bulk or feeling more away from the horse than I have too. When I used a sheepskin pad I used it under by thin saddle pad so that it had direct contact with the horse. This worked well. Just a Mattes pad, no rolls, with a thin Lemieux pad over it. No shifting/moving and it fit well.

My last horse seemed to prefer Thinline pads, even if the saddle accommodated a sheepskin under it just fine. So there's that factor too (horses).

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
If the saddle isn't fitted correctly with the pad, then it can be too much bulk, tight, or otherwise alter the fit in a negative way.

I don't like bulk or feeling more away from the horse than I have too. When I used a sheepskin pad I used it under by thin saddle pad so that it had direct contact with the horse. This worked well. Just a Mattes pad, no rolls, with a thin Lemieux pad over it. No shifting/moving and it fit well.

Just to check I’m thinking right. You would put the sheepskin pad straight on the horses back, then a thin pad on top?

It’s to try and stop the slight lift behind (right side) while she builds her back up. She alsocsaid she doesn’t really want to flock it unevenly. Although we didn’t try a half pad during the fitting, she advised after.