Shock wave therapy for damaged suspensory

Fools Motto

Visit site
Who has done this with a good outcome?
The vet isn't hopeful for a positive result, as the damage is quite extensive but is willing to let us try.
Opinions and experience on suspensory issues welcome.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
So, I haven’t done it myself. My horse currently has possible suspensory issues.
I won’t be doing it.
I work in a racing yard and so see horses with all sorts of tendon type injuries. Some owners opt for stem cell, shock wave treatments and some just go for rest.
As far as I can see it makes little difference. It’s the rest and time off that is the important factor.
As I say though I’m no expert and haven’t been through it myself with my own horses.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Nb. I also have no idea what it costs. Thinking about my own, if it were cheap I guess I’d think it can’t hurt. I wouldn’t be paying a LOT unless it dramatically improved the outcome.
The best suspensory case I know personally did very well with just rest. As in he retired from racing but stayed on the yard so still gallops often. He’s used as a nanny for babies

Bonnie Allie

Visit site
Give it a go. It’s not cheap but this therapy along with consistent active rest, in my horses case walking 20 mins per day on a flat surface to start with, got results. Took 6 months for the hole/tear in suspensory to heal but that was 5 years ago and the horse has been in full work since.

What are your options? If you do nothing what will the outcome be?

nutjob

Visit site
I have had shock wave on one of mine. He has a suspensory branch injury on a hind leg. It would not have been so serious on its own but he did it when I was trying to rehab a front sdft injury on the diagonal front leg. He had 3 treatments which cost about £600 total. He has since reinjured the tendon on the front leg, quite severely so it is hard to say now whether the hind leg is sound. I couldn't put him through any more box rest so he has been on a small area turnout which means he can do something daft if the mood takes him. I also had to abort the controlled walking due to the severity of the other injury. Before starting on what would be a lengthy rehab program with or without veterinary intervention you need to think what outcomes you would be happy with, comfortable retirement, happy hacker etc.

Hallo2012

Visit site
i have gone for indiba instead-more cost effective (looking at stem cell results V indiba results and the cost of both) and can be carried on as maintenance.

AandK

Visit site
My 24yo had it on a suspensory branch injury back in 2008, in conjunction with adequan and boxrest/controlled exercise. I can't say whether it helped or not, but he made a full return to work and had no repeat issues with that ligament up to his retirement age 22.

Carlo1979

New User
Visit site
Hi has any one had a 4 year old that has bolted with pain come right .
My Connemara has had a pulled shoulder and bolted . I have had it checked and it’s all ok now but working he will remand donut again. He is working very well lungeing but not sat on him since x

Pinkvboots

Visit site
One of mine had shock wave for a hind suspensory vet came once a week for a few months it has healed and his sound that was about 3 years ago.

My other horse had a hole in his hind suspensory and he had prp and 6 months box rest and is still sound he is 17 now.

05jackd

Visit site
We have used shockwave. I think it did have an effect but we also did a steroid injection at the same time so not sure which one made the difference. Still not 100% now but significantly better.

Birker2020

Visit site
Who has done this with a good outcome?
The vet isn't hopeful for a positive result, as the damage is quite extensive but is willing to let us try.
Opinions and experience on suspensory issues welcome.
In my opinion based on the extensive experience I gained with my previous horse who had undergone a a number of suspensory branch injuries and a check ligament the best outcome is when the injury is treated aggressively and quickly in the first place, usually by rest, supportive bandaging and cold therapy and also the addition of LW ultrasound therapy. ICE ICE ICE at the first opportunity is a marvellous help, that cannot be stressed enough. Applying ice can improve a variety of soft-tissue injuries by decreasing blood flow to the damaged area and slowing the metabolism of the surrounding tissue so it is less likely to suffer damage from swelling and constriction. It also reduces pain significantly.

On a suspensory branch injury with calcification present, my vet found absolutely no improvement was gained by use of shockwave. I have also heard of a number of other cases where shockwave hasn't helped.

Last edited:

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
My Connie had shockwave treatment for a front suspensory injury but it was in conjunction with him being at the aqua spa where he had ice cold salt water treatment twice a day for three weeks. He hasn’t had a reoccurrence but it was a mild strain rather than a tear and not on the branch. The scans showed a marked improvement with much reduced swelling. I can’t remember the cost as the insurance paid for it all.

flying_high

Visit site
So, I haven’t done it myself. My horse currently has possible suspensory issues.
I won’t be doing it.
I work in a racing yard and so see horses with all sorts of tendon type injuries. Some owners opt for stem cell, shock wave treatments and some just go for rest.
As far as I can see it makes little difference. It’s the rest and time off that is the important factor.
As I say though I’m no expert and haven’t been through it myself with my own horses.

I'd be interested to know what you typically do for ligament issues e.g. suspensory ligament? Box rest? Cold hosing / other cold therapy? Bandaging? Controlled walking? Cold therapy until swelling down enough to scan?

There are 2-3 with this issue on my yard, and they havent followed the protocol I'd have expected. Would love to know that the typical protocol in your racing yard is?

flying_high

Visit site
In my opinion based on the extensive experience I gained with my previous horse who had undergone a a number of suspensory branch injuries and a check ligament the best outcome is when the injury is treated aggressively and quickly in the first place, usually by rest, supportive bandaging and cold therapy and also the addition of LW ultrasound therapy. ICE ICE ICE at the first opportunity is a marvellous help, that cannot be stressed enough. Applying ice can improve a variety of soft-tissue injuries by decreasing blood flow to the damaged area and slowing the metabolism of the surrounding tissue so it is less likely to suffer damage from swelling and constriction. It also reduces pain significantly.

My understanding is that you do need to be careful with ice and limit the exposure to 20 minutes a time?

It is interesting - two horses with suspensory ligament injuries at my yard, and vets werent that bothered about cold therapy, even in the run up to getting swelling down to scan to decide exactly what damage was.

Floofball

Visit site
Yes, my lad had shockwave for bilateral chronic hind psd with avulsions! 3 months box/pen rest with walking, 3x shockwave (£150 per leg per session but think vets felt sorry for me and gave a decent discount for doing both) scan at 3 months showed avulsions had healed but suspensories still quite thickened. Steroid injections into the hock was the key for him to go forward and he’s still sound behind now 4 years on ??

Just as an aside, what is your arena like? Odd there are multiple issues, wonder if it’s deep?

Goldenstar

Visit site
My understanding is that you do need to be careful with ice and limit the exposure to 20 minutes a time?

It is interesting - two horses with suspensory ligament injuries at my yard, and vets werent that bothered about cold therapy, even in the run up to getting swelling down to scan to decide exactly what damage was.

Twenty minutes in every hour .

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
Yes.
Pony had injury high up right near the knee.
Had cartophen injections and shockwave treatments.

I honestly don't know if or what made a difference, he did come sound but it took a lot longer than expected - about 6 months in the end. Ended up turning away for another 3 months to be sure, before starting walk work.

Has been sound ever since (fingers firmly crossed!).