Shock Wave Therapy

Shez

Visit site
Any good? Is it worth the money? its around £95 per session plus vet has to come out to sedate x 2 horses. Not sure how may sessions yet. Both insured so prob claim off insurance.

Shez

Visit site
One is a 9yr old who has a suspensary injury which he is not lame just not jumping so had him scanned - vet said prob due to hard ground so couple of months old.

Max is 14years and was lame around june time so my sister had him scaneed by a vet near her and they said scan was fine. Our vet looked at him a month later and said it was check ligament injury but we should start lunging him for 10 mins a day. he said to keep turnout the same as before as long as he was quiet which he normally is until my nextdoor neighbour used our school to free jump her ponies while I was a work and he went wild but she didn't tell us til following day. Now he has re done the injury but now worse than before!

They were both scanned about 3 weeks ago and the shock wave therapy lady is due on Monday. Just don't know much about it.

joey1999

Visit site
Well one of mine has just been diagnosed with proximal suspensory desmitis in his near hind and had his first SWT on Tuesday. He has got to have two more sessions with a 3 to 4 week gap in between so we are hoping this will do the trick.

Nels

Visit site
My horse had origin suspensory desmitis in the ligament of his near fore - this showed up in the ultrasound scan about 2 weeks after he first went lame, so my vet gave 4 shockwave treatments in total and he is now sound again. So I would recommend shockwave BUT my vet warned it is only really useful if treatments is given in the early stages of the injury. Apparantly the treatment is not so effective if injuries have been left or there is a late diagnosis....

susanjc

www.supremehorse.co.uk
Hi,

My horse went slightly lame and following scans was diagnosed with proximal suspensory desmitis.

He had 3 sessions of SWT starting 1 week after the scan. It does have to be done pretty soon after the diagnoses. The thoery behind it is that the SWT disrups the ligament fibres encouraging them to knit together in the corrct manner.

It has never been proven to work, however, my horse has been slowly building back up his work over the last 6 weeks after having 6 weeks rest and he is absolutely fine. I say go for it, I think it would play on your mind if you didn't.
smile.gif

ihatework

Visit site
my horse has has this 4 times now (4 sessions each time), first was for proximal suspensory desmitis, second was for a troublesome splint, third was for a sesamoid ligament desmitis and finally for navicular syndrome!
He is an oldd pro at shockwave and has come right each time, whether that is down to the shockwave or not is debatable.

star

Visit site
my horse had 3 lots for PSD in his right hind - worked fine - back in full work in 6months, never looked back. he also had it for annular ligament disease in his left hind more recently but it didn't work at all for that. i'd say it is definitely best for PSD.

_jetset_

Visit site
My mare starts her shock wave treatment tomorrow morning for a suspensory ligament injury at the root of the ligament... She will be having one treatment every week.

freckles22uk

www.foxykeepsakes.co.uk
Here (in Spain) I had my foal treated with it, he had a condition, where his knee joint grew faster on one side than the other, (angular limb deformity) causing his leg to grow out at an angle, he went in the hospital at 6 days old, (came home 10 days later) but he was treated every 10-12 days, and he had 5 sesions, and was on box rest thoughout, ( i believe in the UK they often do an op, where they put a screw in the joint) anyway he is 15 months old now, with great legs :)

BUT.......... im sure it affected his brain, LOL as he is SO dopey, and he is still entire (keeping him that way) talk about 'dope on a rope'

star

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
My mare starts her shock wave treatment tomorrow morning for a suspensory ligament injury at the root of the ligament... She will be having one treatment every week.

[/ QUOTE ]

not sure if you know, but technical name for what you describe there is PSD (proximal suspensory desmitis)