shocked at vets...

shadowboy

Visit site
Tassy is due to cross rainbow bridge tomorrow but she's not looking great today, all of a sudden she's dropped off, she was ok yesterday but today She can't walk, eat and her breathing is laboured. Rang vets as soon as they opened and they can't do it as they are full... so I've just spent half hour trying to find a vet who will. So we are sat waiting until 11am as this was the earliest. I know she's not bleeding to death or anything but she's suffering and thats horrible. I can't believe our vets couldn't help her...is that normal ?

kirstykate

Visit site
Poor you big hugs, I can not believe that the vets wont do it, what if it was an emergency? Cant you just take her into the surgery?

SonnysMum

Visit site
Aww, I'm sorry to hear about Tassy. I'm shocked at your vets reaction, I'd class her condition at an emergency. Lots of cuddles in the meantime xx

Vizslak

Visit site
I'm shocked at that too TBH, I would, when things have eased for you, consider lodging a complaint, I don't think thats acceptable.

I'm so sorry shes come to the end of the road shadowboy. Huge hugs xxx

MurphysMinder

Visit site
I'm shocked at that too. I can understand if you wanted a home visit they maybe couldn't come straight away but to say they are not able to do it at all is not good enough imo.
So sorry you are facing this, give Tassy a gentle hug from me.

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
I'm so sorry, poor Tassy.
Its a bit bad that the vets can't see her asp. Even though their morning surgery is booked up, what animal owner in the waiting room would begrudge a few minutes for a dying dog ? None, I suspect.

BigRed

Visit site
Sadly, this is not the first time I have heard this, from a dog vet. It is completely unacceptable and I suspect that the receptionist and not the vet has made this call. I would have taken my dog straight to the vet and been hammering on the door.

Dobiegirl

Visit site
Im so sorry about Tassy.

I am really shocked at your vets attitude but as others have said suspect its a receptionist that made that decision. Any dog needing to be pts because it is suffering needs to see a vet now.Ive been in the position of being in the waiting room with a normal vet visit and the receptionist has told me they are running late because they have had an emergency pts.

I would certainly take this up with the vets at another time when you are not feeling so emotional and if they stick with that position I would change vets and clarify their position on the above.

Im so sorry Shadowboy that you have had a very stressful morning which is the last thing you need at this time. Thinking of you. x

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Run Free Tassy, many people would have overlooked a girl of her breed and age, I am sure she was very glad you found each other and you gave her a loving home for the last few years of her life.

Vizslak

Visit site
RIP Tassy run free sweet girl. xx
You gave her the best last years Shadowboy, she will forever be greatful to you for what you did for her xxxx

JeanetteM

Visit site
I'm soo sorry to hear about Tassy .. . run free babe

I lost my own dog on Easter Sunday and I too had the run around by my vets, I accept it was a bank holiday weekend and also a Sunday, but my dog was fitting (I won't go into details)

I rang my vets and got an answer phone message "if an emergency ring this number ... " I rang and no answer, I rang and rang, rang back my own vets to check the answerphone I had got it right

I then started ringing around other vets, none of them would see me as I wasn't registered with them, none would come out to at all, I found one in the end that would see me purely because they had spayed her over 14 yrs ago, I had to travel in a taxi aprox 30 miles with Jazz fitting all the way, (god bless that taxi driver who took me and Jazz, waited, despite my asking, and then bought me home and charged me a pittance and didn't ask for help or money to clean the car)

I got her to vets, no questions were asked and my girl was pts :-(

I told my vet about how I couldn't get hold of him or the emergency vet and how dissapointed I was and all he could do was snap at me and say they were human they deserved time off, I could of understood that attitude if I had rung to get her claws clipped.

I feel so guilty for my old girl, what should of been a peaceful passing turned into an absolute nightmare :-(

Dobiegirl

Visit site
JeanetteM what an absolute nightmare for you and your poor dog and Im so sorry how you were treated.

I think this is a wakeup call for all of us to check our vets and find out if we would be seen in an emergency.

wildwhippet

Visit site
We've had problems with a receptionist before now, who wanted us to wait to talk to the vet before bringing a fitting dog in. She was told in no uncertain terms that we were on our way.
I now take my dogs to a different vets even though they are further away. I also had to take my very old fitting dog to the vets at 6am on Bank Holiday monday. I'm very pleased to report that I was merely warned about the out of hours charge. The vet was waiting for me when we got there. We also decided that PTS was the kindest option.
This vet practice has an excellent reputation, & I've never had a bad experience with them.

springtime13

Visit site
So sorry to hear that. I'd def move vets. We pay enough to get a decent service for our loved ones when it's an emergency. I had to have my old dog PTS in Jan. I called them up at 8.30pm and they were at the house in 15 mins. I'll never forget how lovely and understanding they were. RIP Tassy.

CAYLA

Visit site
So sorry to hear that:( and not something you should have to deal with when needing to put your dog to sleep (whether you vet can fit you in):( you should have been offered a priority emergency appointment.
sleep tight tassy xx

Venevidivici

Visit site
My thoughts are with you,having recently lost one of my GSPs:( I hope the pain recedes soon and is replaced by happy memories of
Tassy&her life with you.

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
RIP Tassy.

I had similar with an elderly cat (21yrs) who had a stroke (I think) and was distressed and paralyzed...........I'm afraid I threatened to run over her in their carpark if they didn't see her. :eek: They then managed to fit her in.

fruity

Visit site
If we get rung about a PTS we just say to come straight down if it needs to be done asap,doesn't matter if we're full we always put that sort of thing first,we just have to apologise to the other clients waiting but usually they understand. Glad she's gone peacefully and is now out of discomfort. Hugs x