SHOCKED - what do you do???

cariadssogreat

Visit site
God help me if any of the other people involved see this on here - but I just have to talk about this. I think its totally unreasonable behaviour - think you will probably agree.
frown.gif

Some people that I know where attempting to break a horse in, and admittedly the pony is a little on the fiesty side. So 2 men and 2 women vs 1 horse. There was an ongoing issue with lunging - but wont bore you with all the details. Pony gets pulled over a few times for trying to take off - then he gets stroppy and strikes out a few times at said people - which is naughty. So one of the said men them puts chain over horses poll - back through the mouth and ties him up. Horse by now is furious ( I can see where the horse is coming from now - fight or flight etc) so continues to strike out - said man then whacks the horse across the top of the legs with a peice of 2x4 every time he strikes - horse pulls back and eventually also gets tangled up.
frown.gif
Outcome = lame horse with bleeding mouth!!
Surely its not just me that thinks this is taking it too far is it? I'm all for telling a youngster off if its misbehaving -but this is never right is it?

sharni

Visit site
I would definately ring the RSPCA and get an inspector out. I would also ring the ILPH about this. this is criminal appauling behavoir, these people need to be stopped.

Alibear

Visit site
arghh no never ever right god tie the bloody idots up with the chain themselves and then whack them with the 2 x 4 maybe there's a slight chance they'll get the hint.
mad.gif

Agent XXX999

Visit site
I would definitely report them.

That horse is going to have serious issues and the method of breaking is cruel. I am not one to be fairy like with my neds and they have all had a clump for the right reasons but I do draw the line at chains in mouths and 2x4 planks of wood.

I would actually say call the police as it is clearly a horrendous situation and these people do not deserve to shovel [****] let alone handle a horse.

Accy

Visit site
Utterly DISGUSTING who the hell treats a poor animal like that!!!!!! you dont have any choice treatment like that has !!! to be reported and the people should be ashamed of themselves.

Happytohack

Visit site
This is disgraceful behaviour. If you witnessed this and they knew you were there, god help the poor pony when no one is about to see what they are up to. Report them - this is cruelty.

Tia

Visit site
Sorry I'm not really familiar with you, but are you an adult or a child?

If I was standing there witnessing all you've told us then I'm sorry but I certainly could not have remained silent. The pony would have been untied, taken off their hands and anyone tried to stop me and the police would have been called there and then!

cariadssogreat

Visit site
I am an adult - and I did not witness it myself - but in all honesty it is the truth - I've seen the horse - I've heard from the "said mans OH" "how funny it was!!) and I've also heard how awful it was from the horses half owner - who did stand there and watch it

Tia

Visit site
Okay, well honestly you really do need to report this. That is appalling behaviour and is out and out cruelty. Particularly the bit with hitting the pony with 4x2's!!!

GTs

Visit site
Certainly reportable - chain through the mouth is fine for leading, but not to tie up, and a 2 x 4 is not on. I am the first one who says you have to put your foot down, but there are ways that it needs to be done.

meandmyself

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry I'm not really familiar with you, but are you an adult or a child?

If I was standing there witnessing all you've told us then I'm sorry but I certainly could not have remained silent. The pony would have been untied, taken off their hands and anyone tried to stop me and the police would have been called there and then!

[/ QUOTE ]

Too right Tia- I'd have called the police after the first whack! Poor pony!
frown.gif

Malibu

Visit site
GOSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You HAVE to report it - you would be dong wrong by the poor pony if you did not - for the pony's sake report these people as you CANNOT be cruel like this, the whole part of being a youngster is to be taught not to be beaten into lameness and bleeding mouth ! very unfair

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
Idiots, it won't work. One of our horses I bought a while back because she was by one of our stallions was a stroppy two year old. Her breeder got the local gypsy up to deal with her, he used ropes to lie her down, tied her legs together, threw a piece of cloth over her and battered her. Of course she was traumatised and still has little trust of humans in a difficult situation. I was speechless when the woman told me proudly a few years later how they had "Sorted her out"..
I would actually contact the ILPH if I were you, this definitely constitutes cruelty .

jemima

Visit site
OP said it's hearsay.

OP - can you get to see the pony to see if there are still physical marks - this needs doing asap. If there are physical marks still there then report, report, report.

jemima

Visit site
So sad to contrast this with the calm, gentle, understanding and loving way that my little AA mare is being broken. Even when she had a totally mad fit of bucking yesterday her trainer has never raised a hand or his voice to her, just got her going forward until she sorted her head out and settled her back down till she was working where she had been a few days ago. She's had today off and tomorrow we'll start again working through what she's done until we reach a point where she's learning new stuff. Surely this is the way to go - not the dreadful rough handling. She's allowed to get away with NOTHING - but has never been fiercely disciplined, just allowed to find the right way to behave.

So sad for the poor pony.