SHOCKED!!!

Megibo

Visit site
That's disgusting.
My mare is generally an anxious lady so beating her each time she gets me off would get us nowhere! She put me on a jump wing yesterday and I lay on the floor looking at her standing there half asleep across the school and started laughing. Sure I was annoyed she'd dumped me the silly twit but I got up, my instructor lead her back over and I gave her a pat and got back on!

mynutmeg

Visit site
He spooked, thats all! So what she fell off, it happens to us all. Poor lad :(

and she wonders why he took off and left her.
This behaviour killed my tb. His previous owners had obviously beaten him for people coming off him. The only time I came off he completely freaked out. He went out on loan and on a hack spooked at something, his rider came off and he bolted. Unfortunately he bolted straight into a cattle grid. If he was calmer about someone coming off him he would have stood still and waited - all our other horses do but because of this sort of behaviour he was too scared of the consequences.

tessybear

Visit site
This behaviour killed my tb. His previous owners had obviously beaten him for people coming off him. The only time I came off he completely freaked out. He went out on loan and on a hack spooked at something, his rider came off and he bolted. Unfortunately he bolted straight into a cattle grid. If he was calmer about someone coming off him he would have stood still and waited - all our other horses do but because of this sort of behaviour he was too scared of the consequences.

Brought a tear to me eye :( No animal should be made to feel like that, a horse is designed to flight so spooking is in their nature, when you sign up to ride you sign up to this behaviour

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
Mac used to leg it of you fell off. Could tell it was a fear thing, he was genuinely scared he was in trouble. Thankfully, no harm came to him, and then I got a sharer for him who fell off A LOT!! Cured him of his fears.

amandap

Visit site
Yet another horse who has to endure the temper tantrums and anger of their owner. :( Disgusting. The 'show him who's boss' brigade have a lot to answer for, the horse has no idea that abuse/hitting/enforced hard work is a consequence of any of his actions.

Last edited:

stargirl88

Visit site

Oh my god, awful :(

I would've been estatic that my horse had actually gone back home instead of making a break for freedom :p I know horses can push our buttons sometimes, but what a stupid woman!

slumdog

Visit site
Poor lad, I remember when I was a kid there was a girl about my age on the yard who was like this, she used to beat the crap out of her two ponies, I remember catching her in the school throwing plastic poles and blocks at her terrified pony that was backed into a corner because he kept refusing to jump. I waited until she came out and pinned her up in the tackroom and told her what I'd do to her if I saw her doing it again (I was only about 12!) I made her cry and her mum complained but I never did get in trouble. I'd like to say I'd do the same again but I hate confrontation these days. Some people are just vile.

Champion1969

Visit site

OMG that is so sad :(

1stclassalan

Visit site
O.M.G. I would have gone in and punched her lights out. Name and shame ??? there are no words for what I would have done.

My tenet of never hitting a woman would have been taxed! Severely.

I saw so much of this kind of stuff when I was younger - most of my experience was around people who though the same way as this 50 year old woman - blaming the animal for their own failings - gradually I revolted - and got into a lot of trouble for so doing I'll tell you and took a few beatings myself - but I knew I was right!

I'm very glad that everybody here feels the same way! Wonderful.

I bought my mare from (arguably) the best equitation centre in the world at the time - yet I saw one of the owners acting like that - and told him what I thought in very short order.

Before I even dreamt of buying supermare - she was giving a lesson while I was waiting in the school for another horse - the mare's rider was useless but took to beating the living daylights out of her, I saw her turn her big face to the wall in dispare. Despite the surface being hallowed ground, I walked over and said that if he so much as raised his stick again - I'd pull him off and beat him to a pulp. Utter barsteward!

Champion1969

Visit site
My tenet of never hitting a woman would have been taxed! Severely.

I saw so much of this kind of stuff when I was younger - most of my experience was around people who though the same way as this 50 year old woman - blaming the animal for their own failings - gradually I revolted - and got into a lot of trouble for so doing I'll tell you and took a few beatings myself - but I knew I was right!

I'm very glad that everybody here feels the same way! Wonderful.

I bought my mare from (arguably) the best equitation centre in the world at the time - yet I saw one of the owners acting like that - and told him what I thought in very short order.

Before I even dreamt of buying supermare - she was giving a lesson while I was waiting in the school for another horse - the mare's rider was useless but took to beating the living daylights out of her, I saw her turn her big face to the wall in dispare. Despite the surface being hallowed ground, I walked over and said that if he so much as raised his stick again - I'd pull him off and beat him to a pulp. Utter barsteward!

I'm trying to work out why I didn't act, I too years ago saw this type of thing I was so confused I just didn't know what to feel. They I questioned myself is she doing the right thing? Hence me being shocked, feel even worse today. I've got a friend turn out for me this morning. Lets see if that woman says anything to me later? x

Equilibrium Ireland

Visit site
Good thing my husband wasn't on this yard. No no violence would have taken place but he probably would have put himself in front of the horse and gave her a tongue lashing she'd not soon forget.

I also don't remember the last time I came off that wasn't my fault. I always blame myself. My mare Abba has only ever had one rider come off of her. Her trainer was on her and she jumped in very big to the first part of the combo. Rider got off balance and fell off right before the second part. She was shocked. You could see her face. She stood quiet. Got a pat and a general fuss made of her for standing and waiting.

Terri

Smogul

Visit site
To be totally fair, did anyone check that the woman was OK and not in shock or concussed? This can make people act in the oddest ways. Unless this is her normal behaviour, I wouldn't be so quick to condemn it.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I'd probably have a word along the lines of she was never to handle my horse, correct it or enter its stable.

missieh

Visit site
Dreadful. Brings back horrible memories of an incident about 30 years ago when I was a young nipper at a riding school. Two horses wouldnt be caught in horrible weather, absolutely pouring, vold, windy. Yardowner eventually eventually catches the 'ringleader' which results in him being put in a stable, her husband being told in no uncertain terms to close the top door, and the poor pony being beaten up!! I was scared stiff and wish to this day that I could have done something but I was only 8. That pony went in that stable a playful 5 year old and came out an old man. Still moves me to tears that someone can have such a temper. And that was what was responsible for the OPs story. A tempestuous bully. There is no way I would put her in charge of any horses teeth!! Or any other part of them!!

Champion1969

Visit site
To be totally fair, did anyone check that the woman was OK and not in shock or concussed? This can make people act in the oddest ways. Unless this is her normal behaviour, I wouldn't be so quick to condemn it.

Yes I did ask her before she barged pass and grunted. Her husband said she was ok, poor bloke was so embarrassed, I wonder what shes like with him? :(

Quantock-cob

Visit site
There is a girl on our yard who acts like this- the slightest thing that her horse does wrong and it gets a beating. Several of us have tried to intervene and calm her down but she just sees red and can't seem to control her feelings. No one will go on hacks with her now - the last time one of the other girls went out with her the horse had a small spook at something - nothing bad and no way the rider was at risk of coming off - but she went crazy - shouting and swearing at the horse (this was in the middle of the village on a a Sunday afternoon) and went crazy hitting the poor thing on the rump. I saw the horse when it came back and it had wheals all over its back end. I told the rider I thought that it was totally unacceptable to hit a horse like that no matter what has happened, but got a mouthful of abuse back. So we just try to avoid her now - but I do feel sorry for her horses.

foraday

Visit site
I am so shocked too OP!

That is the MOST disgusting way to ever act!

The horse spooked and she fell off. As others said it happens to the best of us!

My horse has got the reputation in the local village for coming home and all the farmers know who to call as well to let them know 'the usual brown one is on it's way home' then the farmers come out and find me.

I just wait for that lovely call from the YO that yes the usual brown one is at home safe and sound! That's all I care about.

I don't then get home and whack him one! He's come home, safe and sound, albeit lathered up in white sweat where he has yeehawed home.

He gets a lovely bath as usually the YO has untacked him and put rugs on him ready for when I get ferried back!

You need to report this incident to your local field officer as the person works in the horse industry and clearly she should not! I would also contact BAEDT as well and mention this incident and ask them if it their new policy to allow horse abuse in their new equine dental exam.

People in the horse industry HAVE to be even more careful as they are seen in the public eye. One picture on the social media will be curtains for her so called business.

Would you PM me this persons name as I have a lot of friends in Cheshire and none of us would support this person at all in her equine business.

PoppyAnderson

Visit site
Some people just don't deserve animals because they can't understand the privilege

Quite right. I get the red mist if I see any animal being cruely treated. There was a neighbour of ours who was kicking his dog. I could see it from an upsatiars window and could hear the poor beggar yelping. First few times, I just put it down to him having a bad day. After the 3rd or 4th day of hearing this, the red mist came down and I shot round to the house. Quite a nasty scene ensued, with much screaming and shouting. About a week later, the dog disappeared (hopefully to a rescue centre). A week after that, yet another puppy appeared. This one must suit them better though, as the dog's a happy little chappy and I see him out on walks. A friend of mine once bundled some dogs into her car in a moonlight flit, when she knew they were being abused. I wouldn't hesitate to step in if I saw cruelty.

PoppyAnderson

Visit site
I am so shocked too OP!

People in the horse industry HAVE to be even more careful as they are seen in the public eye. One picture on the social media will be curtains for her so called business.

Would you PM me this persons name as I have a lot of friends in Cheshire and none of us would support this person at all in her equine business.

Could you pm me too.

KalaJ

Visit site
I hate this kind of person, absolutely no need for it whatsoever, poor horse was probably confused as hell. I saw a lot of this when I was younger and fairly recently saw a woman on my yard kick her pony in the stomach for not standing still while a gate was opened. People who cannot control their temper should not be allowed to keep a horse :mad:

Champion1969

Visit site
Now your putting me on the spot, let me go and see what her reaction is today. It would cause me problems as they have been on my yard for years I have only been there for 2 months, her husband is lovely and also seems afraid of her it could cause horrific problems for him :( :( :(

turkana

Visit site
What an awful woman.
I don't punish my horses if I fall off, I fell off my old mare on the road once & she started running for home, I felt sick seeing her trotting off down the road on her own.
I called her & bless her, she turned round & trotted back to me! Such a relief, as she could have could to serious harm.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Me personally I would leave it a couple of weeks, then walk past said owner with your hat in one hand and when she's least expecting it raise your hat high in the air and very quickly near her and say in a loud voice "it's not nice is it ! " then walk away, hopefully give the old bat something to think about. People like that really infuriate me.

Please don't call fifty year olds "old bats" it gives me a headache a vague feeling of depression and generally ruins my morning.

glamourpuss

Visit site
Foraday, I honestly don't mean to be nasty but if your horse has a reputation for coming home on its own I think there are some hacking issues you really need to address if you have to hack alone.
I would hate to think your horse would get injured or injure someone else particularly if they're coming home at such a speed as to be lathered up.
I've probably misconstrued your post but it does read as if you fall off & your horse bogs off home regularly.

Littlelegs

Visit site
I hate people like that, & imo unless she suffered brain damage in the fall & is no longer responsible for her actions, then shock or concussion isn't any excuse. I just hope she tries it with a very dominant horse who will put her in her place instead.

MissSBird

Visit site
I'm trying to work out why I didn't act, I too years ago saw this type of thing I was so confused I just didn't know what to feel. They I questioned myself is she doing the right thing? Hence me being shocked, feel even worse today. I've got a friend turn out for me this morning. Lets see if that woman says anything to me later? x

Please don't be too hard on yourself OP.

It's very easy for people to sit behind the protection of a computer screen and say they would have done something/said something. Whether or not they would actually have done so under your circumstances is entirely different.

You witnessed a shocking scene. That in itself is enough to stop you thinking absolutely clearly, and it's really common to be stunned into silence and inaction. It doesn't make you a bad person, it just makes you perfectly human.

A sense of self-preservation will also have kicked in. Our sub-conscious instinctively tells us to avoid situations where we might get hurt. You witnessed violent and irrational behaviour from her - a natural part of your mind was telling you to stay away incase she turned that behaviour on you. This instinct is very difficult to over-ride.

Your reaction is totally normal and natural, so don't beat yourself up about it. The only person who should feel guilty is her.

3OldPonies

Visit site
I wouldn't have let her get away with that, she'd be picking herself out of the muck heap if I'd been around - and I would certainly make sure that word went round about her attitude. If she can behave like that after a mere 'coming off' incident imagine the damage she could do with dentistry tools if things weren't going according to her plan.