Shocked

Visit site
I have read posts on here about livery yards that take liberties and could never understand what type of livery owner/manager could do things like the ones described before.

I have always had lovely livery yard owners and managers that would do what they could to make their clients happy.

Well to my point. My firend has recently moved to the States and has every intention of moving the horse once she is settled. In the meantime I will be looking after him once his one month livery notice is up. Last night I was browsing the social media sites (don't we all love these!) and saw an advert for the horse that I am taking on to go out on loan apparently with owners permission. Naturally I contact the owner and find out she knows nothing about this (very trusted friend).

I understand that the yard doesn't want to lose a livery but to do something like this behind a livery owners back becuase she isn't in the country is terrible. More so if someone comes to try said horse there will be no insurance in place as no permission has been passed down to ride the horse.

Would this shock anyone else? I'm not out to bash livery yards so please don't turn this into a livery bashing thread.

be positive

Visit site
If this is true and the horse is due to move to your yard anyway I would move him immediately, to offer a livery on loan is dishonest, the next step will be to offer it for sale!!!

Visit site
I am sorting out with the owner today to collect him asap. We don't want him dissapearing (you hear this far too often these days).

She has every right to disregard her notice now they have lost her trust and confidence.

She will be calling them as soon as possible (6 hours difference made it a little difficult as she didn't find out until 1am our time).

I'm glad you all feel the same way as me and I will be directing her to these replies for reassurance.

Clare85

Visit site
If I was the owner I think I'd be asking you to go and collect him ASAP, without warning. This is despicable behaviour on the livery yard's part and IMO they have waived all right to any kind of notice period being honoured. I'd want him out of there right now. Have you got someone you can take with you when you pick him up, in case they get a bit nasty? You can never be too careful in these situations. Also, get the owner to email you giving her express permission to take him to your yard ASAP and print this off to take with you as proof. Might be worth her giving you a list of belongings as well so you can ensure they aren't trying to keep any of her stuff.

Visit site
Oh screenshots have been taken.

Yes I have someone to go with me, my OH is very good in situations that get out of hand as he manages to stay very calm and impartial.

I agree they have waived their right to notice period being seen out. I will also get her written permission to take him and a list of his things.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
I'd have a chat with the YO after your friend has got back to you. It might be a misunderstanding. Perhaps she made tentative arrangements for the YO to look after the horse and find a loaner before you agreed to definitely take him on.
Do you have a loan agreement and authority to take the horse, and have you a plan for the horse, if your friend is unable for a number of reasons, to take the horse to the USA ?

Visit site
There has been no missunderstanding hence the shock as the topic of loaning out has come up and the owner said no as the horse isn't the easiest.

We have all the correct agreements in place and I know what I can and can't do (not everyone does everything the same way!).

We have agreed the horse can stay with us as long as needed so she is in no rush to find a solution.

Char0901

Visit site
That's dreadful! Surely there are some legal issues here?
Thank god you found the advert. Poor horse could have ended up anywhere, never to be seen again! Heard a lot of this happening at the minute.
You're a very good friend. Hope all works out x