Shocker.....Vet just been out to colicking horse & found.....

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
.....she is 6 1/2 months in foal :eek:

Sent her to stallion last June, breeding peeps will remember me posting that she would not stand to allow stallion to cover her (she was running with stallion) so I though I would have to go down AI route.

Anyway, turns out she has insulin resitance and contracted lammi straight after the attempted covering, so to be honest the idea of breeding from her was then crossed off the list.

So we never got her scanned as a) she wasn't covered & b) my vet advised that even if she was covered, and if she had conceived the lammi related hormones etc would have seen the little fella off!

Pony was a bit poorly last night, v mild colic symptoms so vet came this pm (did talk to him last night & first thing but she was not really colicking, just not 'right' so he decided visit was good idea) and had a listen and said he was going to do an internal..... jokingly I said, 'oh good you can check there is not a foal in there' up goes the hand, and vet say 'yes well there is a foal, its kicking and squirming about lots'

Jaw.floor.

So fingers crossed, mare picked up a bit now she has had some drugs (foal friendly ones) but we still don't know what is up with her, she doesn't seem to be aborting or colicing, just is not right. Will be getting results of her bloods tomorrow so everyone keep stuff crossed for poor black pony & her sneaky stowaway foal :(

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
:eek: Fingers crossed for you.

Mine has had colicky episodes before, where he has just been a bit quiet and weird, and curling his lip up a lot like he was uncomfortable and didn't know what to do (wasn't rolling or kicking or anything) vet gave mine bute which seemed to straighten him out. Think mine just gets a bit gassy on spring grass the big fatty. Hoping she'll be back to normal tomorrow, maybe she just wanted to she the vet to let you know she was in foal? :)

Tickles

Visit site
Sounds like you made a responsible decision not to breed from her.

But nature got in there first... best of luck to all three of you!

ElleSkywalker

Visit site
Sounds quite similar to your horse tinselface, she wasn't eating much, still drinking wee-ing & pooping just not happy. Even the vet is a bit stumped!

Think you are right and she just wanted vet to come tell us so she can get more food. Not going to work tho, she is spot on right weight now so no extra food for her till she pops it out ;)

ElleSkywalker

Visit site
Sounds like you made a responsible decision not to breed from her.

But nature got in there first... best of luck to all three of you!

Indeed :eek: !

I was planning bringing her into proper work again in Jan as the breeding idea was a no go-er due to the lammi, but she obviously doesn't fancy being a dressage pony again & though having a foal would be better idea :rolleyes:

Rosehip

Visit site
Crikey! What a supprise for you!
Is she a maiden mare? If so, and the foal is doing the can-can, then she could just be feeling down and wierd about that?
Seren was really jumpy and quite touchy when her foal (now resembling the beast of bodmin btw!) first started kicking! She would stamp her hind feet and look at her stomach quite a bit, and was a bit off colour for a couple of days until she had settled into the wierd new feeling - perhaps your mare is the same?

On another note - how is your girl bred, and who did you put her to? They must have done the dirty whilst no one was looking!!

ElleSkywalker

Visit site
Is she a maiden mare? If so, and the foal is doing the can-can, then she could just be feeling down and wierd about that?
Seren was really jumpy and quite touchy when her foal (now resembling the beast of bodmin btw!) first started kicking! She would stamp her hind feet and look at her stomach quite a bit, and was a bit off colour for a couple of days until she had settled into the wierd new feeling - perhaps your mare is the same?

Thats exactly what my friend said, as foaly is bit bigger now maybe its squirming is upsetting her, vet did say it was kicking the hell out of his hand! Least thats a good sign that its lively even after all the drugs!

Mare is my little NF dressage pony, she is a maiden, stallion is same as my other foal (Rainbow Warrior). He got my other mare in foal after one covering too, and this one apparently after none! Sneaky Boy!! :eek: