Shocking - Burghley and dogs

Heidi1

Visit site
I thought I would post this, I know it's regarding dogs, but it does have an equine connection. On Sunday at Burghley myself and my mum got talking to one of the RSPCA Officers and he was telling us that they have had "so far" (it was lunchtime), 77 cases of dogs left in cars, please please would somebody tell me why people do this, Burghley provide a dog creche, so if you are so fed up with your dog then put it in the creche not the car. I just can't believe people........ Sorry had to post this......

Baggybreeches

www.photobucket.com
The easy answer is don't take them. Dogs couldn't care less about a day out, unless it is running up a hill or along the beach. When people take them to busy events they get crowded, trodden on, stressed and it's all because their owners are selfish
mad.gif
. Oooo you hit my mad button then. I do not think they should be allowed to take dogs anyway. My dogs would all sooner be at home in their beds asleep than dragged round a crowded shopping village as a fashion accessory.
mad.gif
mad.gif
frown.gif

Puppy

Visit site
Oh don't get me started on the dog situation at Burghley.
crazy.gif
Yes, I saw some stuck in cars, but also many of those been dragged around all day can't atually be enjoying it?!

Little dogs, fair enough, they're not so bad, I don't think they're so out of place. But some people were hauling round large dogs which were barking at others and totally anti-social. My legs were aching terribly by the end of the day - so goodness knows how the dogs with only three legs were coping (yes, we saw more than one of them
crazy.gif
) Or the very tiny puppies we saw who must have been exhausted. And taking dogs into the packing shopping area, including in the trade stands (think Joules at the busiest part of the day) is just asking for the poor pooches to get their toes trodden on!
frown.gif

I would never subject Puppy to that - she'd much rather spend the day lounging around at home asleep.
smirk.gif

And certainly don't get me started on the amount of dog muck at Blenheim the weekend before - why take the dog out if you're not prepared to clean up after then?!
mad.gif

SSM

Visit site
I heard an announcement over the speakers re two dogs in distress in a car in the members car park, I have one way of dealing with this and one way only - break the car windows and get the dogs out - Maybe the owners would learn if they have to dig into their pockets.

Bumble Dog came along and had a wonderful day, she loves the opportunity to meet and greet hundreds of other dogs, she did get tired - so we carried her, we also carry her in busy shopping areas. I was surprised at seeing dog poo in the car park (big dog by the size) It is so easy to clear up after them.

I would like to add that if you have an aggressive dog it should stay at home, like the boxer that went for my baby when we walked past them on the course
mad.gif

sunflower

Visit site
Completely agree - little dogs are fine as long as the owners are prepared to carry them when they get tired not drag them around and as long as they don't have them walking round the busy shopping bits and then glare at people when they get trodden on - it's hard enough to avoid people let alone a dog you can't see. My other pet hate is people who can't control their dogs - I've lost count of the number of announcements I've heard this year about loose dogs on the cross country course - there's no excuse for it.
Also agree about breaking the windows of cars with dogs in, saw one dog shut in a car at Blenheim on the sunday with the windows open a crack and this was only at lunchtime - I'm guessing they brought the dog and then found out that dogs aren't allowed in the grandstand
mad.gif

airedale

Visit site
I cannot understand why there is any need to take the dogs in the first place

they will be quite happy out in a back garden for the day

at Aachen there were no dogs allowed (and someone commented that there was no rubbish left lying around the XC course on the day - unlike the mess left over here

Puppy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
My other pet hate is people who can't control their dogs - I've lost count of the number of announcements I've heard this year about loose dogs on the cross country course - there's no excuse for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh and loose children on the course!
mad.gif

And as I believe you are aware, my other pet hate - pushchairs.....!
wink.gif
grin.gif

Heidi1

Visit site
I agree with you totally, hit them in the pocket and perhaps they may think twice about it...........poor dogs........

Alfie dog came three days and thought it was great, although on Friday he had to be carried a little way because it was rather packed, poor Tony.

I noticed alot of big dog poo, obviously it's a different rule for big ones!!!!

Puppy

Visit site
LOL! I embarassed some HHOer by deciding to rant about them loudly while someone with a pushchir was stood right behind us!
smirk.gif

My real problem is whenever I take Star out to a competition I put a red ribbon on her, purely as a precaution, shes not that bad, and yet people still all day seem to park their pushchair behind her!!
mad.gif
(and children riding their ponies into her
mad.gif
)

My word, I get soooo fed up with telling them!
mad.gif

Puppy

Visit site
I am glad you all find it amusing, I usually get told off by people for being so intollerant!
blush.gif
But really, you take a pushchair to an event, even if you don't know what a red ribbon means, ifs pretty friggin obvious you should keep a good distance from the horses!
mad.gif

miss_bird

Visit site
Pushchairs and babies at horse events just dont work. Other year at olympia couple of rows behind me a group with a young baby that kept crying, it drove me up the wall, why not pay for a f**king babysitter like everyone else, its not as if the kid is going to remember the show. Then they run over your toes in the shopping areas coz they think we have a baby in a bugy eveyone else should move GRRRRRRR. LEAVE THEM AT HOME

_April_

Visit site
It's not just at events that this can be a problem.

I once went out to find a woman and her toddler patting the horses, which is of course totally fine, except the toddler was inside the field at the horses' feet!!
Luckily the horses were quite calm that day but I mean come on, they aren't robots and could have quite easily spooked and trampled the kid.
Then who would be to blame?!

katelarge

Visit site
I was surprised watching the coverage how LOUD the dogs were - I'd not have been happy had I been riding there! Also I noticed dogs being aggressive to each other - just from the TV. I can't believe "horsey" people would be so dim as to leave a dog in a car, what total idiots.

Our dog is a total delight with people but is terrified of other dogs, which comes out as aggression - so we don't bring him to these things! He'd either get bitten, bite another dog, cause noise and distraction - all things I know people can do without when they are trying to jump fences the size of houses!

MagicMelon

Visit site
Sorry but I firmly believe dogs should be BANNED from all horse events. I mean, why the hell do they need to be there anyway? Especially if they're left in cars all day, they'd be better off left at home. Ive seen too many mutts running about causing a danger to horses and their riders. They assume that even if they ARE on a lead then they're no problem - what about horses who arent used to dogs? I remember one time doing XC on a youngster, he almost fell over a fence as he was too busy balking at some nasty yappy mutt.

Heidi1

Visit site
They just do not care, or are too thick to undestand what could happen. I remember going to a show and warming up for my class and a women pushing a pushchair across the warm up ring with a child in tow.

Sooty

Visit site
Sorry, I haven't read all the thread, and apologies to anyone on here who does this, but I simply cannot understand why anyone would want to take a dog to an event like Burghley. Apart from the fact that they cannot go into half the shops and stands, it really can't be much fun, especially in the hot weather. I am convinced some people see their dog as an essential countryside accessory. We always leave ours to sleep in peace and quiet at home, where they are happiest. As for taking them and leaving them in a car - words fail me.

Capriole

Visit site
Ginny Elliot mentions an incident in one of her books, where she was on the approach to a fence when a muppet with a pushchair tootled along behind the fence, Ginny screamed, the woman ducked, and the horse cleared fence/woman/pushchair....some people shouldnt be allowed out on their own

katiejaye

Visit site
When I was at Burghley on Saturday someone had neglected to hold onto their dog and it ran onto the XC course and chased one of the horses. luckily the horse didn't spook it just jumped sideways but can you imagine if something had happened!?

weevil

Visit site
Oh god, last year at olympia there were some utter brats behind us who were whinging and whining all day. THEN at the end during the christmas finale one kid was so freaked out by the clown that it was in hysterics and the parents did nothing
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

If kids/dogs can't behave themselves in public then they should not be taken to places like this

Judziah

eumenides.deviantart.com
I took my young dog to Burghley, I kept him on an extending lead (so in more open areas he could trot about) I cleared up after him, I didn't take him round the shops, I didn't leave him in the car, we carried water for him, he didn't bark once, he didn't want to chase the horses, apart from course crossings where there were lots of people around him, he had his tail up and wagging all day

Just because some people cannot control or look after their dogs, doesn't mean we all should be stopped from having a day out with our canine companions. It's the same with children...some were perfectly quiet, respectful and polite...others were brats...should children be banned from events?

It was a great learning experience for him as he met lots of people, children, horses and dogs...something he very rarely gets to experience in his daily routine.

sammys ma

Visit site
yep...I saw more Dogs at Burleigh than bleedin horses!

And i also heard the tanoid announcement about dogs in distress....disgusting!
Answer to that....lock the owners in a car for 8 hours in blazing sunshine with no air or water...see how they like it!!!!

I nearly tripped over a number of them and thier leads while their owners stood oblivious, and i did actually get rammed in the shin by a pushchair! And as for the dog sh*t i nearly sat on...well!!!!!
mad.gif

don't get me wrong, there were loads of responsible owners there, of dogs and kids, but an equal amount of irresponsible ignorant ones!

SSM

Visit site
I did just want to add that Bumble Dog HATES and I mean HATES to be left at home, she will sit and howl on the doormat if we go off together without her. She is well behaved and loves crowds of people so I do not mind bringing her. I actually love seeing all the dogs there, most of them are fit so a days walking should not be too much. I would have thought twice about coming and paying that extortionate admission and parking fee if I could not have bought her.

Prudence

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
LOL! I embarassed some HHOer by deciding to rant about them loudly while someone with a pushchir was stood right behind us!

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I wasn't embarassed, just had a mental image of how upset/annoyed (emotions we can all do without) my sister would have been if it had been her standing behind you. My youngest nephew is 2 yrs old and adores horses - should he be expected to walk around a showground (not nec somewhere like Burghley), He's too damn heavy to carry for long + having a buggy means you don't have to carry your shopping!

Heidi1

Visit site
I don't have a problem with people taking there dogs, I took my Jack Russell for three out of four of the days and he loved it, made lots of new friends. He not into sharing drinking water, so we had to carry his ow supply around with us..........What gets me is people who get fed up and then put them bakc in the car.......

As for children, well what can I say...........should be seen but not heard.......I heard so many selfish and ungrateful kids, I would have turned round and told them to forget anything they wanted...........

eohippus

equi-librium.mysite.orange.co.uk
I think their are a lot of responsible dog owners taking their dogs, but there is still to many who just do not act like it. I felt the same last year at badminton. I felt that is was uneccesary to take dogs. I did send a letter of concern to the organisers as most of the dogs I saw were hot and bothered stood by the fences, or being dragged around the shopping arena. But leaving them in cars is just cruel and pointless, what is the point of taking them at all in this case.
Babies and very young children is a bit of a mute problem as the parents can not always get sitters for the day, however, a constantly crying child who has no interest in or knowledge of what is going on is not only annoying for others but unfair to the child.
rant over
best regards
Dawn

piaffe

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Don't get me started on pushchairs.............. Mothers should have to take a driving test for them............

[/ QUOTE ]

NO!
mad.gif
people walking towards pushchairs should understand that they unable to move their pushchair as quickly, out of the way as someone without one. or, here's an idea; try walking around the pushchair instead of expecting them to?