Shocking case of violence and abuse in Argentina

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Please comment/share as much as possible. This kind of violence and cruelty should NOT go unpunished

By Mr Carlos Cordoba (C&P from his post in Chronicle of the Horse)

I'm am sorry to post this, and I know it has not even happened in your country, but it is important that we all revolt against terrible acts of cruelty in our sport, no matter where they are. I am embarrassed, to say the least, that this person is registered in our National Federation and owns of a breeding farm. I am embarrassed of how low a human being can go, leaded basically by his ego.

A few weeks ago a fantastic, beautiful stallion was shot to death by his owner and amateur rider because he refused and reared in front of an obstacle during training. This rider was thrown off and in a barbaric act, went to his car, got his handgun and shot the horse. Unfortunately, he did not die immediately but had to be shot later, a second time, to put him out of his misery. All this happened in front of his trainer and rider at the farm belonging to said amateur.

As of now, a group of amateur riders are trying to make our Federation react against this act, to no avail. Unfortunately, he is a wealthy sponsor and multiple horse owner with various pros in the ring, which makes things harder and slower. We are still working on trying to get written testimony of the act, although this man has admitted to the crime in front of Federation representatives. We have contacted FEI in regards to actions that should be taken by our Federation, although we have no response from them yet.

I surely hope that there will be severe sanctions against this person. This is not the type of co-competitor I want or need. This is not the type of breeder I would buy from. This is not the type of human I would like to be share the world with.

I am posting a beautiful round of the stallion (not ridden by his amateur rider but by a pro),

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQqkhQ3yG-Y

https://www.facebook.com/haras.ambato
(scroll down, after five horse videos, since it was posted today. I am copying the spanish text below):

justabob

Visit site
Whilst this is shocking and horrible, it's not illegal to shoot horses.

I am sure it is when done in temper, also to not allow his grooms to help the horse that was half dead, must surely be a cruelty case if nothing else.

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Surely it is illegal to shoot them with a hand gun as that is inhumane?! Or does that only work for livestock and not pets?
Mr Cordoba, who is making the complaint, is by profession a lawyer and he says that whilst there are laws against animal cruelty, he has not been able to find any convictions :( It is not the legality he is arguing, but the violence and inhumanity of Mr Martinez's actions, not least allowing the horse to suffer before it was put to sleep. He has taken the case up with the Federación Ecuestre Argentina to have Mr Martinez banned from competing and breeding horses in Argentina. His complaint was first ignored but he has now succeeded in getting them to meet and discuss the matter. He is also taking the matter up with the FEI. Mr Cordoba is a very well respected showjumper and breeder in Argentina.

Jesstickle

Visit site
I quite agree PF. It doesn't really matter I just wondered.

I know in this country he would absolutely be pulled up for cruelty. I do hope something can be done :(

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I did not say it wasn't bad! It's horrible, but not illegal (although would need to check up on Argentinian law). The cruelty aspect is another thing entirely. And technically a humane killer is a hand gun, even though it's captive bolt.

justabob

Visit site
Whether it is legal or not, to shoot a horse out of spite should be punishable. Who or what is this disgusting man going to shoot next?

justabob

Visit site
I did not say it wasn't bad! It's horrible, but not illegal (although would need to check up on Argentinian law). The cruelty aspect is another thing entirely. And technically a humane killer is a hand gun, even though it's captive bolt.
A humane killer is normally used in conjuction with a pith rod.

HBB

Visit site
It is not the legality he is arguing, but the violence and inhumanity of Mr Martinez's actions, not least allowing the horse to suffer before it was put to sleep.

I saw this today on a friends FB page, it is absolutely vile beyond belief! To shoot a horse out of temper, then leave it still alive in agony and not allowing his groom to tend to it. A vet eventually destroyed it some time later.
I hope there is a successful punishment/conviction for this disgusting excuse for a man!

bearTessy

Visit site
If he has no remorse for shooting an animal for what was most likely human error, then I would hate to see what he is capable of doing if another human made him angry !

Poor horse, last few hours ( I presume) on this earth were spent suffering at the hands of a brute.

Jesstickle

Visit site

Was definitely not saying you thought it was ok C!! Was just wondering whether there were laws about using appropriate firearms to dispatch animals or whether anything goes.

amandap

Visit site
Technique is also important along with appropriate weapon. Not a way to try and dispatch any animal unless you know what you are doing!

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com

Who said it was illegal? No one is talking about the legality but the unnecessary cruelty and violenc of the act. IMO (and that of everyone I know) he should be banned from keeping, breeding and competing horses for life by both the FEA and FEI.

vanrim

Visit site
This sort of thing cannot be allowed to go unchecked. I would expect that if I shot a perfectly healthy cat or dog in anger I would be prosecuted for cruelty. What the authorities in Argentina should be concerned about is the fact that if he will shoot a horse in anger could he shoot an adult or child too if angry enough. Good luck to the breeder who is trying to get him prosecuted and banned from competing. If nothing else the publicity should make him an outcast.

Mithras

Visit site

I think the point is that they are trying to remove the owner from their national federation, not secure a conviction for animal cruelty. i.e. they are trying to at least take some action which will affect the owner of the stallion and perhaps help raise animal welfare standards in their country by showing that this is an internationally abhorred act - to shoot a horse, in front of trainer and staff, in a fit of temper.

lucyrebecca94

Visit site
I think it's illegal to kill them inhumanly, so technically having to then go back and shoot the poor thing again is leaving to suffer unnecessary cruelty which you can get done for, think it might be classed though as 'Aggrevated cruelty' (I watch far too many law and RSPCA programmes :))