Shod v barefoot

Barefoot v Shod

• Total voters

Tiffany

Visit site
I believe that people should do what works for them and their horses but out of interest I just wondered how many people have their horses barefoot and how many shod?

Last edited:

ausipaliboi

Visit site
I have one horse who is shod in front only, this is due to the wet weather affecting his front hooves and also because of the terrain.

His pony paddock mate is unshod. My old horse was shod to start with but ended up without shoes and went much better.

I started my competition mare without shoes but ended up with shoes on her and made a huge difference to our competitions (many years ago now).

HuntingPink

Visit site
Five horses, all unshod. Two are TBs with 'typical' TB feet, had to use boots for those but they're fine now.

You do have to address the diet as issues show up barefoot when they're masked by shoes but then we all should be looking at their diets shod or not. The majority of horses can go barefoot, it's usually the owners who can't due to time, competitions etc.

forestfantasy

Visit site
2 Horses, 1 pony all unshod.
Pony never had shoes on, 22yr old horse had her shoes pulled in november with my 5 year old - both originally shod since 4 year olds. Both in work and improving daily unshod and on a low sugar high fibre diet.
I'll never shoe again :)

marmalade76

Visit site
I have two and both are unshod ATM.

Over the years I have ridden mine with a full set, just shod in front and not shod at all, I do whichever suits the horse and the work they are doing.

tango'smum

Visit site
one, pony.. unshod, was in shoes till last october. had laminitis, (cushings) best thing i ever did was to take them lumps of steel off... and i use a barefoot trimmer not a farrier....and i still ride him, hes in boots at the mo..

lornaA

Visit site
I have 3 horses 1 is retired but has front shoes only as she has navicular and very thin sensitive soles. I have tried her barefoot for a couple of years but it just wasnt working for her and she bacame more and more foot sore so have opted for fronts only. My 2nd one is in work and is barefoot she copes very well and i would never shoe her. My 3rd is my foal, he is only 10 months but i intend never to shoe him when he is a big boy.

Amy567

Visit site
Two mini shetlands, both barefoot, don't think you can even get shoes that size, plus they're just lawn mowers... and very good ones at that :p but We've always shod are horses, above 11.3hh :)

Though looking into barefoot all round when I finish uni and finally get a horse of my own, as I've heard good reviews etc. :) Having withdrawal symptoms already! haha

Skippys Mum

Visit site
1 horse in work, barefoot since november. Still using boots some of the time but the difference in his movement is incredible. He's got really good feet so I'm hoping to be able to do away with the boots by the summer.

RolyPolyPony

Visit site
1 26yr old TBxWB, still hacking out over all sorts of surfaces, barefoot with rock crunching feet!

1 rising 3 year old DHP, barefoot and will stay that way, not quite rock crunching feet but hopefully will be once she starts being introduced to road work.

BlackRider

Visit site
2 arabs both unshod.

My mare was shod when we competed as her hooves weren't that good, but she's not had shoes on for 9 years now.

I competed at a high level with my gelding when he was barefoot (and he still is)

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
I horse, 1 pony, both unshod. Pony has had one acute lami episode. No rotation and vet said that reason we caught it so early was down to her (i) being unshod so it showing up (ii) the fact she was regularly ridden not standing in a field, again it meant we detected it early. She is now sound again and ridden regularly after a slimming programme and a very careful feed and grazing regime.
Older horse 19 yo 17hh IDxTB isnt ridden very much and little roadwork so after 16 years of shoes they came off last year, first the hinds and then the fronts. He didnt seem to notice, he has beautiful strong feet and I wish Id taken them off years ago. I was frightened to as he did so well in shoes, but guess what, thats cos he has good feet and they are still good without shoes!!!

wyrdsister

Visit site
Hi. I have four horses, all unshod. Two are retired, one's just rising 3 and so far has done nothing much other than stand in the field and look pretty, the fourth I regularly hack out, do dressage, show-jump, and XC with!

It's each to their own, of course, but without an incredibly good reason I'd never go back! (Not least because one of my retirees is that way after my former farrier pretty much crippled her. Yes, I'm still cross about it! :( ).

lynnandbella

Visit site
my last pony was a newforest and always barefoot just used boa boots for when she has a trim to stop any sharp stones, my youngster is currently barefoot but unbroken , shes an irish draught x zangersheider i hope her feet are good and wont need shoes!!:) again i think its down to the horse,conditions,conformation, work load,work type and diet.

Tiffany

Visit site
I know there are a lot of people who have their horses barefoot although would be interesting to know how many horse are shod v barefoot in UK. I'm thinking majority are shod although could be wrong?

showingmadfilly

Visit site
I think it comes down to what works for each horse or pony. I personally prefer bare foot but fully can understand why some if not most need shoes. I don't do much other than showing so not needed with me.

Baluga

Visit site
I have 3 and all are barefoot. Two are in a full work and will keep them barefoot for as long as possible.

If my horses end up having shoes on over the summer I do convert back to barefoot in oct/nov time.

Theresa_F

Visit site
Over the years

Delia - TB - had to have fronts on even when not in work

Fleur - Hann x TB Had just fronts on and then went to no shoes

Cairo - Clydesdale - taking his shoes off was the best thing - no more thrush. Did need shoes on the first summer, then just fronts for 16 weeks of summer and then never shoed again.

Jemima - gypsy cob - feet like iron, no shoes

Farra - Clydesdale - came with shoes, immediately taken off and never needed them again

Chancer - Gypsy Cob - never had shoes.

I feed only fibre, plus linseed, brewers yeast and black sunflower seeds. In summer I use Kevin Bacon when it turns hot and dry. Trimmed every 6 - 8 weeks depending how how feet look.

Horses do hacking, schooling, and compete at showing, dressage and jumping