Shoe Studs

donna brightside

New User
Visit site
Just had my boy shod and asked for stud holes as it's coming into the season for outdoor competing and general larking about! Has anyone got particular favourites when it comes to studs? Are some easier than others to get in/out? Also, what do people use to plug the holes? Everything I've used in the past is pretty rubbish at staying in!
Any other stud advice would be welcome!

Cheers

Donna

Fun Times

Visit site
I find supa studs the best. I would highly recommend cleaning them after use and squirting with WD40 as it makes it so much easier to put them in. As for plugging the holes I tend to just use cotton woll soaked in hoof oil. I have tried those plasticy rubber bung things and sometimes they work fine but sometimes they are a total pain to get out. I have been put off those blank sleepers that you screw in with an allen key as apparently they can get jammed in the hole. Have had a little research into the ardall pro fit studs but its a lot of money to fork out for the kit so I need to wait till I get some pretty unequivocal recommendations for them before I take the plunge.

Captain Bridget

Visit site
I was out eventing with Lex2501 last weekend who won a set of the Ardall Pro Fit studs and we were sceptical, and checking after each phase that they were still in and secure. They remained solid the whole time and are SO easy to put in and take out.

I don't know how they work but they're magical!

Fun Times

Visit site
Really? Thats interesting. I did post on here a while ago asking for views but no one responded so I assumed it was just good marketing by the company! Its the fact you have to get your farrier to buy the special drill thing that puts me off. Its a lot of expense to go to just to find they are a let down. Are they lots easier to put in than normal thread studs?

Captain Bridget

Visit site
I didn't put them in myself, but having watched Lex put normal studs in these were 100x simpler! Put stud on hole, tap a few times with hammer, done. And to get them out you just twist with the spanner. The hammer/spanner is one tool.

PM Lex2501 if you want more info, she won her set and bought the drill bit herself, but Ardall have sent her a shoe and extra studs so she can demo them for people she meets at comps.

donna brightside

New User
Visit site
Thanks folks, that's a great help. I think I will opt for the supa studs, I've read up on the Ardall and they do sound great but a bit out of my budget for the amount I'll be using them. Now to choose the correct studs!

Charmin

Visit site
Another one for supastuds - it takes me about 2 minutes to put them in when I'm there anyway.

Tbh I've found plugging the holes nothing really works, I clean them out the day before and have used little rubber plugs which were okay. Then in the morning I take the plugs out and and fit in travel studs which are just flat ones, then it's just a matter of swapping from travel to whatever size you want when you get there with no faffing of cleaning and rethreading etc.