Shoeing and uneven wear

not_with_it

Visit site
I have also posted this in NL but didnt get many responses so thought I would ask you knowledgeable lot.

I'm after some advice please as this has been niggling at me all weekend.

My horse is shod in front and barefoot at the back. She was last shod on monday.
On friday we went for a long hack and then I turned her out in the field. When I brought her in I was picking her feet out and thought the farrier had only put 3 nails in the shoe, all on the inside. I could see the clenches but no nail heads in the bottom.
I phoned my farrier and he came out this morning, picked the foot up and said there were 6 nails but the nail heads had worn down. Feeling very embarrased I apologised and thought I was just being stupid then I started thinking.
Surely there shouldnt be so much of a difference to the point where 3 nail heads are clearly visible and the 3 on the other side are worn and level with the shoe. And all in 1 week.

I think I know the answer but just wanted your opinions. After all the problems I have had with her back and her being out of work for 2 years I really dont need anything to upset her balance and put strain on her.

I am going to speak to the farrier tomorrow but dont want him to think I am a dizzy cow if there is a resonable explanation for it.

Britestar

Visit site
I would be thinking there was something not right, especially after only one set of road work. Mine are out on the roads on an almost daily basis and I would be able to see the nail heads for a good while after they were shod.

I would be thinking that there is a suggestion of un even balance that may affect her way of going. Definately speak to your farrier and find out if she normally wears she shoes unevenly.

Do you have an old pair you can look at and see if they show uneven wear too?

not_with_it

Visit site
Thanks for the reply.

That is my thinking too, that the foot is unbalanced.

She has only just started hacking out but she has never had problems with her feet before.

Its the amount of wear after just one ride that is screaming out to me that something is wrong.

DollyDolls

Visit site
There could be something wrong with your horse higher up. He may be walking to compensate for an old injury or poor muscle. I have a bad left hip & am forever putting more weight through my right leg & when I look at my shoes, my right one wears quicker.

It may be best to get an osteo or physio out.

not_with_it

Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

Dollydolls I am going to have the physio out as she has just coming back into work after a back injry.

I had a good look at the foot this afternoon in the light. It does look odd. I think they have taken too much off the outside of the hoof and the whole hoof looks to be twisting to the inside, therefore placing more pressure on the outside of the foot.