Shoeing...... how much do you pay?

Visit site
Have just been told by farrier that my shoeing is going up to £65/set plus £10 visit, plus £1 each for road nails. Upside is they always turn up on appointed day and are happy to shoe with just my Mum supervising and not holding the horse, and always come the same day or next day if he throws a shoe..... (which they also never charge for) However it will be £79 a visit for one horse which seems a lot - just wondered what you guys pay?
confused.gif

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
I pay £122.20 for 2 bog standard sets in warwickshire. I did pay £76.20 for 1 set but that farrier did a god awful job and didn't keep appointments so he didn't last long!

Louby

Visit site
£60 for a set including 4 road nails with an excellent farrier. I wont moan again, thought mine were expensive.

JessPickle

Visit site
£75 for a full set- hot shod

I also have to call up the farrier a week at least in advance so he can order pickles shoes as he has such big feet they have to be specially ordered.

Oh and because it is a RS we have a weekly visit so dont pay any callout because he always does at least 5 horses every time he comes

ladylisa

Visit site
Just in the middle of changing farrier at the moment, old farrier was £45 but if my mare got i loose shoe it would be nearly a week before he could turn up to sort it out, new farrier is £50 but can turn up quicker than other one if needed.

MillionDollar

Visit site
My farrier charges £55 for new set (hot shoeing)
if he has to make special shoes these are £10 extra. He is VERY good and doesn't charge call out and ALWAYS comes the next day!

The other farrier i HAVE to use (for horse on loan) charges £68!!! AND its only cold shoeing! Hes a lovely man but i hate having him, hes not that good and i pay loads!

miller

Visit site
£55 for new £57 removes, hot shod - brilliant bloke, turns up on time or early
shocked.gif
does them very well, no fuss and books next visit before he leaves.

South Lincs

sharni

Visit site
£45 inc road nails.Hot shod. £5 for a trim. Shropshire. but the farrier takes AGES 1 set of shoes and 2 trims took 2 1/2 hours. plus hes quite nervous around the horses. they get fidgetty and fed up and it spooks him.
I want to change but his shoes stay on and he does turn up on time and hes cheap. dilema really.
used to pay £65 a set and £15 a trim but I dont think the shoeing was actually as good. used to get the apprentices as it is a big enterprise and the guy trains lots of lads, I dont mind apprentices but I do object to paying that much for them to practice on my horses.

JessPickle

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
tee hee..... a big'orse called pickles, thats just brilliant name.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know AWFUL isnt it! he recognises it and had the name when I bought him!

Pickles just doesnt suit a 17.1hh cyclesdale x! sounds like a cute shetland doesnt it!

Skhosu

Visit site
36/38 for a set. Think its 38 w/ stud holes.
44 for hot shoeing.
He's very cheap I think, but think around here all are?
I'm very lucky! But he is rarely on time and hard to get hold of, but always comes when we need him!

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Mine's gone up to £55 from £50 for new set, hot shod.

I think it's a bl***y cheek some charging a turnout fee on top... alot of them haven't got facilities for you to take the horse to, so how they have the cheek to charge turnout I don't know!
confused.gif

Oh, stud holes I think are either 50p or £1 each on top.
smile.gif

timeandchance

Visit site
£55 a set of 4 (hot shod)....he's a great farrier, but he is always late and chats the whole time coz he knows so many people at my yard. But he's good with my horse so can't complain!

equibabe20

Visit site
i pay £49 for a set with road nails, but my farrier doesnt charge me for road nails i get them free. He also get me all my foot supplements at cost so I save £12 a time!!