Shoes and PSD

lensmith7

Visit site
Yet another PSD q from me! Sorry

Those of you who have horses that have had PSD, in hind leg, what shoes do yours now have on their back feet, and how much do you pay for the full set?

Josie has never had shoes on the back, so now I've got to find the money for the whole set, which dont sound like they're going to be cheap!?!

Ho hum

x x x x

dieseldog

Visit site
Normal shoes, my vet said there was no need to shoe her differently. I would think it is double or just under double what you pay for fronts.

lensmith7

Visit site
Ah ok thankyou.

There was talk of bar shoes and rolled toe thingies and all sorts the other day. I'm not at all clued up on shoes. Luckily I have a wonderful Farrier who has an excelent working relationship with my vet.

fingers_crossed

Visit site
Mine has his toes rolled about £70 a set - no more than normal.I think he sets the shoe with a bit more heel support than he used to as well - not sure about this tho. I have to say to my horse, rolling the toes as he came back into work after the op made a noticeable difference. H e was diagnosed with arthritis in his stifles 18 months later so don't know if this had anything to do with the difference shown tho!

TayloredEq

www.tayloredequestrian.com
My boy has remained barefoot throughout.

Was your PSD caused by poor conformation in the first place?

My vet said that as my boys feet are so good, correctly balanced and that his conformation is good there is no need to shoe him.

lensmith7

Visit site
Yes we think it probably was. She's done such a wierd injury, high proximal and main body also, thats usually only found in race horses, that it looks like it must be a conformation problem
frown.gif