Shoes on broodmares

MillionDollar

Visit site
I have had to put front shoes on my WB mare who is now 301 days. Believe me I didn't want to, but she has become so sore and uncomfortable on them (she used to have pads on when in work in the summer), and with the ground being so hard and with the extra weight she needed them.

However, my farrier was not happy with putting them on as he was worried about her standing on the foal once it was born
crazy.gif
crazy.gif
crazy.gif

so should I have them taken off in a few weeks?? Does anyone else have an in-foal mare with shoes on?

Thanks
smile.gif

Magicmadge

Visit site
Yes, my mare has to have them, she's 307 days now. Did try when she first got in foal to have her barefoot, but by about 10 days she was terrible, especially on the concrete yard. My farrier has never expressed concern and he breeds horses too.

nijinsky

www.xaraymax.co.uk
My mare's been without shoes for the past 2 years. She's due to foal in one month & a couple of weeks ago went extremely foot sore, so bad she could hardly walk. We had no choice but to put front shoes on & am glad we did as she was so much more comfortable. Rebooked the farrier to come back out to take them off a week before she is due to foal.

MillionDollar

Visit site
Yes, mine's been barefoot for about 12 months now, but it's in the last few weeks she has been really bad. Think it's this very hard ground and the extra weight.

Ok so I should have them taken off!?!?!

nijinsky

www.xaraymax.co.uk
That was the problem for me, the hard uneven ground had broken the hoof down too short. Am hoping she gets a decent amount of growth before baby comes, we're having some rain now so hopefully the ground softens a little.

I don't want my mare to foal with shoes on but that's my preference. If you are going to worry just ring your farrier & get him to come & take them off nearer her due date.

arwenplusone

www.freewebs.com

It is pretty uncommon In my experience for a mare to stand on her foal, shod or not. If you watch them they tend to do everything they can to not stand on their babies.

If you are concerned though (and I guess there IS a risk) I would have them taken off just before she is due.

S_N

Visit site
If a mare stands on her foal, shod or not, she is going to injure it!! B had fronts on for a while when Hector was a foal and many, many broodmares live with front shoes on all year round. Heck, I've known some that were shod all round for a time - though not behind with a foal at foot!

imafluffybunny

Visit site
My mare is always shod in front, I had her shoes taken off just before she foaled then had them put them back on 6 weeks later. Like S N said, its gonna hurt with or without!!

Partoow

Visit site
we have a broodmare that is shod, foal due in july , will remove just before and then put them back on once they re back out of the stable as she has a problem inthe pedal bone and needs the support.
yes shod or unshod its going to hurt should she by some chance stand onthe foal, but the shod hoof will cause much more damage as the suface area to is reduced and there is greater point pressure, Also nails and clenches can cut . Not common but it's not worth the risk.

CrazyMare

Visit site
I had my girls shoes taken off (she is shod all round) about 6 weeks prior to foaling, she had them all back on by the time foalie was about 6 weeks.

Although she has very tough feet, they are so hard there is no 'give' in them, thus making her very sore.

My farrier didn't have a problem putting them back on, after all, she would damage the foalie weather she had shoes on or not, but it was kinder to keep her sound and painfree.

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
Most of our mares have shoes on in front and we have no problems. TBF I have only seen one mare that almost stood on her foal within minutes of it being born but shoes or not she would have broken its leg.