shoes on my youngster being backed?

princestar

Visit site
Jsut sent my boy away for 6 weeks, hes barefoot but has a few cracks in his front feet. They go up about 3/4 of an inch. Not lame completly fine and farrier said other than the cracks he has good feet. But I do think 6 weeks work will end up having a negative effect.... going to leave ut a few weeks as due farrier end of the month and decide with trainet if to shoe or not. But when he comes back I want to get him on the little lanes so we can get to the local saddlery with miles of bridlepaths.

So, would it be better to shoe on front now (wont have back shoes, personal choice but safety too) when he has never had shoes in, will it effect the cracks and if i keep them on over summer and take them off october november time would that be okay?

Onky ever had a barefoot so never bothered with shoes. Thanks

Oberon

Visit site
Need pics really.
Cracks in a barefoot horse are usually either dietary or (more likely) by an over long wall that is trying to chip away what it doesn't need - which will be fixed by work.

Cracks rarely involve the internal structures so I wouldn't fret about hooves dropping off just yet :eek:.

You can always try some linseed as that tends to moisturise the wall nicely from the inside.

princestar

Visit site
Hi, when I got him he hadnt really had the farrier.. he was 5 1/2 when I got him. He was left out in a natural heard so only probs hsd his feet done a couple of times. Hes on linsead to try and improve over time... erm have no pics as hes away :( havent seen him for a week - cant wait until tomorrow to see him again :) but thinking he might get sore over a few weeks doing work... thanks ;)

Oberon

Visit site
My Tank was a feral 2 year old when I got him and he had never seen a headcollar, never mind a farrier.

His hooves were very cracked and split when he arrived but it was purely cosmetic.

At rising five he was doing 20 mile rides barefoot.