Shooting peeps - advise please

Slinkyunicorn

www.rutlandhorseextras.co.uk
In short my neice has started going beating (with new boyfriend - she gets to take his old very well trained spangle ) so for Christmas I thought I would buy her some of these - she is 16 and is quite girly ie like pink whlist being a bit of a tomboy/horsey/country girl

Are these good bad or indifferent - thankies

http://www.shootingsocks.co.uk/acata...Stockings.html

Ruddyreindeer

Visit site
I think you will find it is usually the 'guns ' who wear the good gear, as the beaters end up in the brambles / bogs / mud, and tend to wear less 'designer' clobber ! ! ( Speaking from first hand experience as a seasoned beater )

:D:D ;)

Ravenwood

Visit site
LOL - RR, I guess it depends on what kind of shoot you go to ;)

At most of the shoots round here even the beaters wear shooting socks and Chemaus, shirts and ties even though they are covered up with waterproofs ;) Employees of the shoot wear full tweeds.

ETA SU - got the link - they look fab :D Pricey though :eek:

Highly likely she won't bother with the garter (I don't) but lovely to have as a present :D

Ruddyreindeer

Visit site
:eek: Ravenwood, better not name names here ;), it is a large estate shoot and all the keepers wear tweeds etc, but we lowly beaters spend so much of our time struggling through the undergrowth that I doubt if anyone would notice what we were wearing ;) I actually treated myself a couple of years ago to a pair of Aigle wellies with the neoprene lining, to keep my tootsies warm, but it really wasn't neccessary as I get soo hot (not an age thing :p) that I end up looking for ponds to stand and cool my feet in :D
OP have you thought of pink wellies ? ! :D

Ravenwood

Visit site
:eek: Ravenwood, better not name names here ;), it is a large estate shoot and all the keepers wear tweeds etc, but we lowly beaters spend so much of our time struggling through the undergrowth that I doubt if anyone would notice what we were wearing ;) I actually treated myself a couple of years ago to a pair of Aigle wellies with the neoprene lining, to keep my tootsies warm, but it really wasn't neccessary as I get soo hot (not an age thing :p) that I end up looking for ponds to stand and cool my feet in :D
:D

LMAO - good reply :D

Have a gander at this site - you might find it a laugh :D

http://www.countrytalk.co.uk/html/beating_line.html

If you are really bored you may find an article or two from me ;)

giveitago

Visit site
'father' would never have allowed pink socks...i had to take my nail varnish off one day before going beating.

Tis customery (although a tad old fashioned) to wear green, possibly brown and only rarely blue wellies, with a tidy green or brown barbour shooting, possibly allowing a smudge of colour on your shirt collar or head atire, Blue wellies and/or wax jacket would only be worn if you were a horsy person too...traditions eh!

Clodagh

Visit site
I've just dropped off my 10 year old for a days beating, now he wouldn't thank me for pink socks! My OH made me go and buy him green wellies, said blue wouldn't do! He wears full camo gear with overtrousers and a trappers type hat thing, the ones that make me look like Fred Bassett.
Great socks for a teenage girl though, even if they can't be seen when shes out and about...its like sexy knickers...if you know they are there then they work!!!

Spudlet

Visit site
Ha, the last time I went beating someone was wearing hi-viz yellow road menders over-trousers! We don't stand on ceremony round here :D

islander

Visit site
Too true! 16yr old girls have their own rules!
On this shoot we wear mud coloured and warm clothes when beating but the guns occasionally sport a natty coloured set of socks. There are some young girls out who tend to wear more horsy-type jackets and boots, eg: Dubarrys, but haven`t seen much pink. Wouldn`t stay pink for long!