Shoppers - hoof file

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I need a good quality one that can deal with really tough, dense horn. The cheap ones from my local tack shop just don't stay sharp enough. I'm happy to buy online. :) Thanks.

cowgirl1969

Visit site
Hi, I have two barefoot ridden horses and although I have a farrier now I went a long time without as I’m in a rural area and only want trims! I bought several useless rasps, found an excellent one only available from Ireland brand Wolsey but now bingo! On Ebay a couple of people are selling lightly used rasps that are brand Heller from USA, top quality at about £5 ish each. Makes the job so much easier. I also have a Hoof Jack, it was imported from USA and v.expensive but so much easier on my old back and will last a lifetime. All the best.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
there's an ebay seller-sells save edge and mercury rasps, very fast delivery (farriersupplies or somesuch, can't look it up atm but if you search for aforementioned rasps he should come up)-doesnt always have singles though.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I use a save edge, mostly just because I get both edges in one and it's a nice size! I usually get them from atlantic equine just as they come up cheapest. Hellers are pretty good too. It is interesting reading farriers comments about their rasps, they often get quite attached to them ;).

I snaffled up a second hand hoof jack which is amazing.

Polos Mum

Visit site
Save edge for me

For a jack I use the car axel stand with the hook bit at the top taken off - it's lower than a proper stand but works for my oldies !

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I used to use a car axel stand, with neoprene added on top but we were both struggling with it as he got older, wasn't stable enough for him and too low for me when my back is pretty dire to start with! I sent it for rehoming with my trimmer when we were both just getting cross with each other!

chaps89

Visit site
Maybe try total foot protection based in Sussex, I know they sell farrierry tools and as it's run by farriers I'd expect them to be up to the job

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
My farrier sold me one of his commercial ones. Better than any I bought from a shop. They only come in big boxes, but he was happy to sell me a single.