Shopping help - bridle cheekpieces

Pippity

Visit site
I have a Horsemanship Saddlery Orion bridle that I love. Unfortunately, it gets very little wear because the cheekpieces are too long for the bit I use when hacking. I've contacted HS for shorter cheekpieces but, because the bridle's no longer made, they don't have any.

Normally, just buying some replacement cheekpieces would be simple, but the Orion has really chunky leather - 3/8" of an inch rather than the 2/8" on my other bridle. This means that getting the headpiece strap into the cheekpiece's keeper is really difficult.

So, what I'm looking for:
- cob-sized cheekpiece (around 7.5")
- 5/8" wide
- 3/8" deep
- brown
- buckle attachment for the bit
- preferably quite textured leather. As you can see from the photo, the Orion isn't the sort of smooth leather you get from Fylde, etc.
- budget not much of an issue. I'm not going to pay £100 but I'm not refusing to pay more than £10.

1609926816945.png

Merlod

Visit site
I haven't been able to find a leather worker. I've asked for recs on here a few times and been met with echoing silence.

If you don't have anyone local contact Cirencester Saddlers - the workshop is remaining open for repairs by post.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
I know someone in North Cheshire. I'm sorry, I don't know where you are and he's retired so only does work for people who can drop off and pick up. No idea if he's taking work during lockdown.

Andrew657

Visit site
have you looked at Calcutt and Sons website (contacted them) - they seem to make bridle parts individually calcuttandsons.co.uk

pansymouse

Visit site
Shortening cheek pieces is an easy job which I do regularly - OP message me if you don't find anyone local who can do it.

It sounds to me like your bridle is made from harness butt (c.4mm thick) rather than bridle butt (c.3mm thick).

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
A Saddler will be able to shorten these, it's one of the most common jobs we get to do.
The leather thickness you describe sounds like it is is good old fashioned bridle butt. Rare to get it that thick now, most go to 4-4.5mm max.
5mm is good!
Breaking strain is around 5,000 lbs per square inch when new. Today's trend is thinner leather but anything under 4mm for bridlework is not recommended. Not be me anyway.
Oz