short coupled pros and cons?

Copperpot

Visit site
Both of mine have mean bucks on them. Both are also good at jumping too. The one that is a smidge under 17hh and can wear 6ft 3" rugs has a particularly exuberant back end!

MagicMelon

Visit site
I love short coupled horses, find them so much more agile and easier to contain (and jump, they can generally shorten up and turn easier). My 16hh grey is short coupled, I ended up having to get a WOW as he can only take a 16" so the panels are 16" and the seat itself is 17" for me ;) Works very well so consider that (you can buy the WOW bits seperately 2nd hand off Ebay etc. that's what I did - much cheaper than buying brand new).

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of a short coupled compact welsh D, seems my boy is one and can only take a 17" saddle max! He is in a 6ft rug.Normally am better suited to a 17.5 saddle.Am hoping to do dressage with him, he's naturally uphill and has good hind leg action but nice flowing paces.Only been backed acweek and now hacking out quietly.He is 3 yrs 8 months.
Does anyone else have a short coupled horse, what do you do with yours

Don't forget that at his age, his spine hasn't finished growing yet. The spine finishes at 5 1/2 years minimum with the top of the neck (atlas and axis) being the last growth plates to close.

pennyturner

Visit site
Simple physics says the back of a short backed horse will be able to support more weight than a long-backed one. Think of trestle tables and a plank. The closer the trestles, the less stress is on the load-bearing plank.

Bucking is presumably easier with a short back. Mine had a cracking rear for the same reason - his back legs were almost under his front ones to start with!

The Fuzzy Furry

🦄 🦄
Visit site
OP, you have a welsh D - its a sin for the males to be long backed, in that breed.
Many natives are short coupled, KS is not often heard of in native (yes, there are exceptions, but its quite rare).

I'd give it time before you worry too much - he is really going to keep changing shape over the next 3 yrs.
For what its worth the 14.2 native I currently have in, is in a selection of 6 ft & 6ft 3 rugs - std sizing for heavy M&M :)

khalswitz

Visit site
Well why on earth didn't you tell me that lot before :) ? Very interesting thank you.

It's such an interesting defect because it is so hard to pinpoint exactly why they get it... the actual cases show very little correlation. And there is even more debate about whether it is increasing in incidence or just increasingly being diagnosed... after knowing a few KS horses and having had one of our vet school horses diagnosed, oped on and then being involved in the physio and rehab it's something I am very interested in. :D

cob&onion

Visit site
OP, you have a welsh D - its a sin for the males to be long backed, in that breed.
Many natives are short coupled, KS is not often heard of in native (yes, there are exceptions, but its quite rare).

I'd give it time before you worry too much - he is really going to keep changing shape over the next 3 yrs.
For what its worth the 14.2 native I currently have in, is in a selection of 6 ft & 6ft 3 rugs - std sizing for heavy M&M :)

Yes hecis veryvyoung yet and has filling out to do ;)
My last tb mare had ks and wasnt short coupled nor long backed. I have never heard of ks neither in a native.
Hoprfully in time he maybe able to take a 17.5 saddle. We are due the saddler soon, looking for an adjustable to last him - depending on the amount of over time I can work this month am hoping to stretch to a native pony saddle for him. Allbi know is that he has big shoulders like my girl so needs something cut back .

cptrayes

Visit site
It's such an interesting defect because it is so hard to pinpoint exactly why they get it... the actual cases show very little correlation. And there is even more debate about whether it is increasing in incidence or just increasingly being diagnosed... after knowing a few KS horses and having had one of our vet school horses diagnosed, oped on and then being involved in the physio and rehab it's something I am very interested in. :D

Ooh, do you want my detailed rehab notes for a ligament resection? I completed ignored the instructions I was given, for good reasons, and have had a fantastic outcome with a complete gait change in the front and back legs, all on video. I'd be happy to email you it when I've finished writing it up if you PM me your email address.

cambrica

Visit site
Interesting post and lovely 'Pally' there Siennasmum!

Although I know many riders who really don't like the short backed compact horses, I personally much prefer it having had/have 3 Sec D's.
None of them have ever fitted a 17.5" saddle. My 14.2 has a 17" with a fairly straight cut.
As for the ride I love short backed, compact, higher head carriage and shorter length of rein. I love the energy and bounce, the agility and ability to turn on a sixpence. In a nutshell I feel more connected.
Remember a Sec D has to have that 'pony' element to its breed for it to be true to its type.
The fact that a Sec D cannot be re-registered as a Sec C until it is at least 7 years old reflects the fact that many will not stop growing in height until that age.

khalswitz

Visit site
Ooh, do you want my detailed rehab notes for a ligament resection? I completed ignored the instructions I was given, for good reasons, and have had a fantastic outcome with a complete gait change in the front and back legs, all on video. I'd be happy to email you it when I've finished writing it up if you PM me your email address.

Yes please, would be very interested. Will PM you :D

EquestrianFairy

Visit site
I have a very compact cobxarab. Never been sick or sorry and luckily, has never been a bucker either.

Currently competing and winning at BSJA. He's got a jump to die for and I think it's partly helped by the fact he's so compact (he's 15hh)