Short term loan of youngster while pregnant - am I dreaming...?

Turks

Visit site
Hi, I'd like to know if this sounds reasonable and what I could charge if at all!

I have a lovely young horse (16'1 WB 4 yr old) but have just found out I'm pregnant and would rather not risk it on him when I'm bigger. I will ride my sister's who is safe as houses and needs more work.

My boy enjoys a bit of work and I think he'd be better for continuing in work rather than being turned away so I wondered whether a competent rider would like to ride him for the 9 months or so before I'd like to get back on him.

If I advertised that short term loan would that be frowned upon as asking for free schooling?

He hacks, does basic schooling and is lovely ride round the farm recently jumping some good jumps incl. ditches, tiger traps, banks, etc. They could compete him within reason. He's a very special talented chap to me so I'd have to be very careful who I chose. He's still green so for everyone's sake they'd need to be competent.

Question is - is there a market for that on a short term basis?

There would be an option for someone to ride him at our farm. They then get a number of fields, a large outdoor arena, show jumps, xc jumps (albeit a bit makeshift!) and xc jumps in the fields.

What would the going rate be for that?

Insurance-wise - would his NFU horse insurance cover this?

Any pointers appreciated...

zaminda

Visit site
If you are wanting him to stay where he is it sounds like you are more looking for a sharer than someone to loan him. It is possible, and I suspect if you are easy on the price, you may find someone at college or similar who can't currently afford their own who would jump at the chance. As with any arrangement like this, I would suggest making sure they have there own rider insurance, as most horse policies don't cover minor damage to the rider which results in loss of income, and notifying your insurance company that you have a sharer may be worthwhile.

Turks

Visit site
Thanks Zaminda. I would have to sort some sort of contract and should note that in it I guess. I'd prefer him to stay at home but for the right rider would consider letting him go elsewhere.

zaminda

Visit site
Its amazing the amount of short term loans people are looking for. Shame he isn't a bit older, a college might have been useful!! How far are you from Lackham? You may find a suitable rider there.

twiggy2

Visit site
i think the risk of getting a ruined youngster back would really put me off, it is why mine was not fully backed till I had the time to consistently work her and at that point she was 6. she has really benefitted from being left longer too

Theocat

Visit site
You might find it helpful to have a sharer / rider to take some of the pressure off you after the baby arrives, so I wouldn't be too quick to talk of it as a definite short term thing - you might find you 'd like to keep them on if they're good enough to share in the first place!

ihatework

Visit site
I doubt you would find anyone competant enough who was also willing to pay.
I'd suggest keeping him at yours and hopefully find someone who is short of a nice ride who will do him for free for you.

Polos Mum

Visit site
I wouldn't let him go at such a young age, someone to hack him out a couple of time a week under your supervision might work. Very impressionable age to let someone random jump/school him IMHO.

Personally I'd give him a year off, in my experience it does them the world of good and with his breed/ size he'll still be maturing a lot so time off won't do him any harm at all. I've had 2 kids in the lest 3 years and my boys had time off for both - he came back better for the break

chocolategirl

Visit site
If it where me I would either turn him away for the duration or maybe get your sister to keep him ticking over as you are going to be riding her horse while you're pregnant? I just think he sounds so lovely with great potential, it would be a shame if he fell into the wrong hands. Good luck with whatever you do in the end!

Cobiau Cymreig Wyllt

Visit site
I'm in virtually an identical situation as you and have considered various options...my youngster however, is quirky...tho safe and I've only got as far as considering one young talented trustworthy local person, daughter of a good horsey friend to ride him on an ad hoc basis.
But ultimately, as I've put so much into him and he's actually only just turned four (and a bit behind yours educationally) I've pretty much decided to turn away now instead of working him as planned for another month or so...I'm due early March so am plotting a return to riding coinciding with bringing him back in the spring, after I've got myself upright after bubba.
I know what you mean about continuing work might be better...and I have agonised a bit about it...but think in my own case, youngster ultimately will not come to harm turned away and even if it feels like starting from scratch in spring, I know he will get back into the swing of it quite quickly and we can get on without any interruptions. ( *touches wood!*)
not sure if that helps you any, but just thought I'd share it as so similar

MiniMilton

Visit site
I personally think that if someone has a horse on loan for a relatively short amount of time, they'll want to cram in as much as possible quickly and may rush his education.
Pausing his education would be my preferred option rather than potentially having to spend months righting someone elses wrongs.

mandwhy

Visit site
I think finding someone just to hack him out, for a small contribution or maybe free depending on the person. Most horses I have shared before were for hacking and I was happy with that (although I did like fast hacking) because I just wanted to spend time with a horse really and didn't have much money being a student etc. Once you've ascertained that they are sensible and good for the horse you could ask if they want to do a bit of jumping and schooling if they want to.

Turks

Visit site
Many thanks for all the help.
It has made me stop and think that a sharer might be useful to continue when I'm back riding but tight for time.
I am a bit frightened at the thought of turning him away given that he can jump the odd fence if he's in the mood (rarely but happened). I think he's the type to get bored and mischievous and might start creating a bit of mayhem with the other horses. I'd hate for any of them to get hurt.
I'm also concerned that on my return to riding I could do without an extra fresh, excitable youngster to work with. I'm sure my riding will be shaky enough then! I'd have to enlist a bit of help then I think.
I am already reducing feed to basics (he's blooming on this late flush of grass).
My sister loves her horse far too much to be dragged away to do mine which is fair enough. No way she could fit any more in.
Whilst it would be nice to have someone just hack him and broaden his horizons that way, he is a green youngster and needs someone competent. Plus I want the schooling to continue out hacking. I don't think I'll find a really competent rider who's content to do that alone.
From reading the above I think at this stage I might try a local sharer that I can fully vet and keep an eye on. Hopefully, I'd nip anything in the bud and put a halt to things before any real harm done.
I think there's a lot to offer someone. The right someone is paramount. If I can't find them then he gets no go-faster grub and lumps it in the field and I pray that he stays in one piece!
I'm having a lovely time bringing him on at the moment but I'm honest enough to know that I'm no amazing rider and there are lots of better riders out there - hopefully, one who happens to need a nice horse to ride...