Should a horse of 15 be classed as veteran?

billy2

Visit site
Yes I do think it should be raised: Equines (and by that I mean horses AND ponies) are routinely living longer. My current oldie was retired at 33 _ he is now 37. His new companion was bought aged 16 to be my new ride, and I confidently expect him to last many more years. Of the 4 other ponies I've had, I haven't lost one under the age of 25. 20 should be the new minimum.

T_K

Visit site
I also thought that vet classes were supposed to be judged on the condition of the animal based on its age? ie: a 24yo in better condition for its age than a 19yo or a 30yo.

That's what I thought until I witnessed the VHS Champs at Olympia this year.... IMHO the pony that won in the ridden looked older than it's actual age....and older than some of the horses 10 years it's senior.

Pidgeon

Visit site
I think one is pretty lucky if one has a healthy and sound horse which is over 15 and is able to compete and travel long distances because at that age most of them will start to go downhill I am afraid. Being able to regularly ride a horse beyond the age of 15 is excellent but being able to regularly compete a horse over 15 is a serious result. I think those who keep their horses going beyond 15 are brilliant.

:eek: Does this mean I should not compete or travel long distances from April then? I think Pidge might have a moan or two if I tell him he can't compete in ODE's or HT's or go XC schooling on a regular basis :rolleyes::eek:

kildalton

Visit site
I think one is pretty lucky if one has a healthy and sound horse which is over 15 and is able to compete and travel long distances because at that age most of them will start to go downhill I am afraid. Being able to regularly ride a horse beyond the age of 15 is excellent but being able to regularly compete a horse over 15 is a serious result. I think those who keep their horses going beyond 15 are brilliant.

My daughter's 20 yo looks better than she ever has done,and has been a complete lunatic today, I must tell her she's going downhill .

violethillx

Visit site
I would class about 20 as a veteran depending on the individual horse's condition. My pony is 14 and nothing about her or her character is veteran-like! x

overtherainbow

Visit site

i had an england trial on my horse when she was 26, my other pony may be going for one at 16, neither of them act old and people regularly dont believe the now 30 year old age.

im sorry but i have to wonder how much hammer you put on a horses legs at a young age to expect problems from 15 onwards??

Ladydragon

Visit site
Calling a 15yr old horse a veteran is akin to telling a 40yr old adult they are... I'm well past that but would still object... :)

A healthy 15yr old should be in the same bracket as a hale and hearty 25 yr old imo... Unless a pensioners group was tagged on after veterans or a middle aged class shoved before those of 20/25+...

:)

Last edited:

Piglet

Visit site
Yup definitely but purely for selfish reasons!!! Can't wait for my boy to turn 15 on 28th April as it means it now makes it worth my while to go to horse shows and do more than 1 class!! Please don't campaign fir a change!!

silverghost

Visit site
I think it depends on ur horse. Ponies tend to live longer & keep active longer. I have a coloured cob who is 21, until 17 he was fine, now has arthritis & prone to colic & needs careful management. Maybe raise the age of ponies. There are very few 15+ yr old cobs on the circuit due to their build they tend to retire earlier.