Should cyclists be allowed to race on public roads?

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
There's a somewhat defensive update on the Windsor triathlon's organisers page.

http://humanrace.co.uk/news/press-statement-incident-windsor-triathlon/

Including 'KEY QUESTIONS

1. Why can you organise a Triathlon on open roads?

We follow best practice as per guidelines from British Triathlon. Throughout the planning process we liaise with the local council’s highways department and with the relevant Safety Advisory Groups about the event and its routes. The bike course takes place on open roads so individual participants are required to always ride within the rules of the Highway Code, and act with due care and to ensure their own safety as well as that of all others also using the road.'

I think it's a very good statement, not defensive at all, given the circumstances.

I find that "individual participants are required to always ride within the rules of the Highway Code, and act with due care and to ensure their own safety as well as that of all others also using the road" is a way of saying "we don't want to go to the trouble of organising road closures, individual riders have signed up to the race acknowledging that they are individually responsible for following the law, and we absolve ourselves of all responsibility in the event of an accident".

I was unable to find any document with a name resembling "best practice as per guidelines from British Triathlon", but I was able to find the official 2018 rules, here.

It looks to me as if a disqualification under 3.6(a)(ii) would require a conviction or issuance of a fixed penalty notice by the Police (and payment of the charge by the offender, to serve as admission of guilt).

Under 3.6(a)(iii), the organisers could disqualify the participant on the basis on the video and reported collision.

Failure to disqualify riders who break the rules is an encouragement to others to break the rules.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
"
we don't want to go to the trouble of organising road closures

I thought we had already agreed that road closures for an entire day for a local, not even a national, event are not feasible?

Triathlons couldn't be run of the roads had to be closed, other road users would not accept the scale of closures or the frequency.

It is very doubtful that councils would give the required road closure licenses.

It's nothing to do with them not wanting to take the trouble.

Last edited:

Goldenstar

Visit site
It’s a question of balance isnt it .
Closing roads for a mayor international event that brings a lot of trade and excitement to the area is one thing but there’s a lot of these time trail things that’s just not fair on those who live where the roads are suitable to hold them.
It’s also going to add huge expense to each event .
However I am extremely concerned with the comment further up the page from someone’s OH who cycles that he will have had his head down because he’s going fast ...now that to me is the nub of the problem these riders are trying to go as fast as possible on a public road .
The use of the roads for recreational purposes that encourage exercise is a good thing , to be encouraged but the head down fast as you can type exercise buoyed along in a big group is something else .
Are these the young men who we see as riders and drivers behaving the worse because that’s their mind set they are training to race .
No body is allowed to view a road as a race track that’s clear .
I do think there’s an issue with these type of races and it needs looking at .

Wishfilly

Visit site
My local endurance GB ride has road sections, and the roads are all closed. It happens for one weekend once a year, and is a long running event. They are also careful to ensure no farms/houses are left without an exit route. This works well, as obviously lots of riders (ranging from pleasure to serious competitors) are out on the roads all day. Luckily, much of the route can take place off road over private land by kind permission of the land owners.

I have also started road running recently and run a few half marathons. For these, road closures seem to be the norm, with roads being closed for the morning. These are big events with 1000s of competitors plus supporters, so I guess it brings money into the cities/towns involved, and as it's once a year, people cope with the inconvenience.

For bike races/triathlons it seems like people are racing on the roads at speed with no closures. To me, this is not safe, and racing shouldn't be allowed on roads open to other members of the public. Obviously, in this case, signage wasn't sufficient as I can't believe the rider would have chosen to ride that way if she had seen signs that clearly explained what would be going on. If this means there are less events, or people have to travel further to go to events then unfortunately, I think that has to happen.

Racing isn't an activity compatible with other traffic.

Carlosmum

Visit site
I was caught up in a triathlon time trial near Henley on Thames this morning ( I was in the car), hundreds of riders on the road in all directions obviously riding one way round the roundabout & riding back. Cars could not pass because the bikes were on both sides of the road. I was feeling rather grumpy when it occurred to me that as a horse rider, if I want to compete I have to go to a venue which has been hired for the purpose, I don't go eventing along the road verges, and what little experience I have of Endurance riding it seems to be held 'off road'. Why cant the cyclists hold their time trials at a race track like Silverstone or Donnington? I am sure the organisers could add a few pretend junctions or roundabouts and they could go round & round for as long as they liked! Why should they use our public roads for free for their competitions? I am sure the local council don't charge the organisers, but just insist on safety measures.

Okay Rant over!

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Why cant the cyclists hold their time trials at a race track like Silverstone or Donnington? I am sure the organisers could add a few pretend junctions or roundabouts and they could go round & round for as long as they liked!

I've ridden my motorbike around Oliver's Mount racetrack at Scarborough, there are Silverstone and Donnington that you mention, then there are circuits that are no longer used, such as Brooklands.

The bottom of the Wikipedia page about Oliver's Mount has a list of former racing circuits in the UK. Maybe some of those could be brought back into use for cycling races.

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
I was caught up in a triathlon time trial near Henley on Thames this morning ( I was in the car), hundreds of riders on the road in all directions obviously riding one way round the roundabout & riding back. Cars could not pass because the bikes were on both sides of the road. I was feeling rather grumpy when it occurred to me that as a horse rider, if I want to compete I have to go to a venue which has been hired for the purpose, I don't go eventing along the road verges, and what little experience I have of Endurance riding it seems to be held 'off road'. Why cant the cyclists hold their time trials at a race track like Silverstone or Donnington? I am sure the organisers could add a few pretend junctions or roundabouts and they could go round & round for as long as they liked! Why should they use our public roads for free for their competitions? I am sure the local council don't charge the organisers, but just insist on safety measures.

Okay Rant over!

That's a really good point.

Crackerz

Visit site

Okay Rant over!

This would be fine for road races, but not for triathlons as they need a lake or pool next to it!

I'm not defending cyclists though, they irritate me immensely

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I always presumed there weren't many hills on car race tracks?

Re. eventing no on verges, I'm too young to remember much of the long format but did they not use public roads then out of curiosity?

Velcrobum

Visit site

Okay Rant over!

No other type of sport is allowed to race be it against themselves or other competitors on a public road so why is an exception made for bl**dy lycra clad road warriors. As Carlosmum says if you go eventing you pay for a facility, if you race cars or motorbikes (I-O-M TT excepted) you race on circuits and pay for the facility. ****** do race carts but they seem to be above the law anyway.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
I have nothing against cyclists or any sport on the roads for that matter - well done for getting off your butts and doing some exercise!

A consensus does need to be drawn over how these events are organised though so people taking part can enjoy it and not put other people at risk, that is unfair.

Velcrobum

Visit site
I always presumed there weren't many hills on car race tracks?

Re. eventing no on verges, I'm too young to remember much of the long format but did they not use public roads then out of curiosity?

No as far as I can remember roads and tracks was generally on grass with some road crossings but usually those were private roads within the large estates that hosted the long format competitions. Badminton, Burghley, Blenheim, Chatsworth, Blair to name a few.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
yup, I wasn't sure how widespread long format even was, ie whether it was just the bigger ones that could use their own estates or not.

Crackerz

Visit site
No other type of sport is allowed to race be it against themselves or other competitors on a public road so why is an exception made for bl**dy lycra clad road warriors. As Carlosmum says if you go eventing you pay for a facility, if you race cars or motorbikes (I-O-M TT excepted) you race on circuits and pay for the facility. ****** do race carts but they seem to be above the law anyway.

95% of running races are on open roads too....

Velcrobum

Visit site
I emailed the organisers received a generic acknowledgement but as yet no response. They have also deleted all posts relating to the incident. Lift carpet brush under methinks.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
I emailed the organisers received a generic acknowledgement but as yet no response. They have also deleted all posts relating to the incident. Lift carpet brush under methinks.

I think MPs and the BHS would be good to contact too.

Velcrobum

Visit site

I have received a response: the investigation is ongoing and once completed a statement will be published. Fingers crossed the perpetrators will be punished appropriately.

Hack4fun

Visit site
I too have contacted them ... twice. No reply on either occasion. They are advertising for entries for next year today, which is disappointing given they have not said how they will stop this from happening again.

Velcrobum

Visit site
I have received a response: the investigation is ongoing and once completed a statement will be published. Fingers crossed the perpetrators will be punished appropriately.

The next day I got an email requesting a rating for their customer service..............

Velcrobum

Visit site
Just been to their FB page and there are a fair few posts in response to opening entries for next year. Many asking how safety is going to be managed and also asking what is going on with this years hit and run. Apparently all the evidence is being reviewed independently. I hope that is the police and that a prosecution will happen as that would reverberate through the cycling world and might induce more consideration towards other vunerable road users.

Locally a bridle path which has been well used by walkers and riders for many many years got partially paved and became part of a cycle route. The cyclists felt the previous users should not be using it as it was a cycle path, this was not taken well mainly by the pedestrian users.......

onemoretime

Visit site
From me its a resounding "NO" to racing on public roads.

In my local town, the Tour of Britain is coming in September. Everything will stop. Potholes will be filled, traffic lights (temp ones, of which there are plenty right now!) will disappear miraculously, all the nasty dog poo which everyone grouses about will miraculously disappear. You'll see at least one copper on duty (unknown hitherto).

The cyclists will, we have been told "bring foot-fall to the town" and bring money in on the day from spectators. In other words, the arrogant gits will Shlt miracles and go so blimmin fast through the town that they'll disappear up their own backsides (hopefully).
. Ha ha ha this is brilliant and so true.

onemoretime

Visit site
Racing should not be allowed on any road or right of way, and why should roads be closed and so disrupt the life of everyone in the area. If I compete my horse I go to a venue that is on private land, and the same goes for everyone competing in other sports - no one expects to play foot, cricket, golf or whatever else on the highway - so why should cyclists be a special case.
. Agree with this.

twiggy2

Visit site
Horses are very dangerous on the roads without cyclists.

Should we all just retire inside and enjoy sports in a virtual dimension and leave the roads to become racetracks for motorised transport?

No. Minority road users unite!!

Yes some are idiots, but none more so than oblivious dangerous people hacking horses on the buckle end

This

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I don't mind cycle races provided there are sufficient warning signs for other road users, both in advance and on the day, so the route can be avoided.

Suechoccy

Visit site
Agreed. We minority users are stronger in voice and action if we stick together and work together. Don't let "Divide and Rule" be used from within our own ranks to weaken the safety and enjoyment which minority road users get from their way of life.

luckyoldme

Visit site
Last year hubby and i dragged our fat arses onto our mountain bikes and went for a bike ride. we huffed and puffed around a few tracks and back roads then headed back for our pickup. We noticed the traffic building up, and also the appearance of a few police motor bikes. As we cycled the last stretch towards the car we had police outriders along side us..telling us to get a move on as the tour de britain was behind us. We cycled as fast as our fat legs and purple faces would go . It was totally humiliating to come round a corner and see people waiting for the race and to hear them swear when they saw us. we waited for the race congratulated ourselves on how slow they were compared to us (not) and made our exit as soon as we could. It still makes us laugh now though..the day we led the tour de britain!

Velcrobum

Visit site
Last year hubby and i dragged our fat arses onto our mountain bikes and went for a bike ride. we huffed and puffed around a few tracks and back roads then headed back for our pickup. We noticed the traffic building up, and also the appearance of a few police motor bikes. As we cycled the last stretch towards the car we had police outriders along side us..telling us to get a move on as the tour de britain was behind us. We cycled as fast as our fat legs and purple faces would go . It was totally humiliating to come round a corner and see people waiting for the race and to hear them swear when they saw us. we waited for the race congratulated ourselves on how slow they were compared to us (not) and made our exit as soon as we could. It still makes us laugh now though..the day we led the tour de britain!

That went past us last year with a rolling road block. Never seen so many police motorbikes and as for the entourage excluding the team support cars there were ambulances, fire van, police cars and even an AA van! I got hit by a drinks bottle hurled to the side of the road by one of the competitors. It caused absolute chaos locally and while might have brought in "tourism" money at the towns which were start and finish stages did nothing for the local economy in the bits in between. Still I have witnessed the tour of britain and it will not be coming near us again. Interestingly the route took them down a single track country lane that has a steep hill down to a river then back up the other side. It is potholed covered with gravel that washes down when it rains hard and has badger setts in the steep banks either side.

Fragglerock

Visit site
That went past us last year with a rolling road block. Never seen so many police motorbikes and as for the entourage excluding the team support cars there were ambulances, fire van, police cars and even an AA van! I got hit by a drinks bottle hurled to the side of the road by one of the competitors. It caused absolute chaos locally and while might have brought in "tourism" money at the towns which were start and finish stages did nothing for the local economy in the bits in between. Still I have witnessed the tour of britain and it will not be coming near us again. Interestingly the route took them down a single track country lane that has a steep hill down to a river then back up the other side. It is potholed covered with gravel that washes down when it rains hard and has badger setts in the steep banks either side.

My Dad went to see the Olympic cycling. Nearly a 4 hour round trip and they whizzed past in a few minutes. He laughs about it now :) Some friends of ours live in the area and the disruption leading up to it was incredible including a 'practice run'. His local business didn't notice any increase in takings either. They still have a lot of cycle rides near them, one advertises that the circuit is all left hand turns so no need to stop at junctions - each race consists of 12 or more of these circuits. The locals are now fed up with them.

We get a lot of cycle rides around here and for the first time today I actually saw someone removing the route arrows from yesterday's ride. Generally the cyclists we meet are considerate and we don't have a problem with them, although one fell off as he was cycling too close behind and didn't expect us to stop and let him past.

Rollin

Visit site
Fragglerock got the same T-shirt. Very excited when we discovered the Tour de France would pass through our local village. We waited for some time in the hot sun - they went passed in a flash. Saw nothing. For me the best bit of the Tour is helicopter views of chateaux and the glorious French Countryside.