Should dogs be banned at major events? What do competition riders think?

Sixteen Hands

Visit site
There is currently a poll in the "latest news" section titled:
“Should dogs be banned at major events? NEW POLL - ignore the previous thread/poll”

It would be useful to know what competition riders think as potentially they are the ones who will be most affected by a loose dog.

The poll and thread for any comments is at:

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=561765

Ali16

Visit site
Are we talking about spectators or ALL dogs, including the competitor's dogs??

If it were the latter, being an eventer, I would avoid going to places that I couldn't take my dog along with me to. It's a long day out (sometimes days at a time) and too long to have to leave your dog at home/make other arrangements for them.

Dogs are part & parcel of eventing IMO. I don't think spectator's dogs should be banned either, it would be a such a shame... events like Badders are so lovely to share with your family, human and canine alike!

MadisonBelle

Visit site

If it were the latter, being an eventer, I would avoid going to places that I couldn't take my dog along with me to. It's a long day out (sometimes days at a time) and too long to have to leave your dog at home/make other arrangements for them.

Dogs are part & parcel of eventing IMO. I don't think spectator's dogs should be banned either, it would be a such a shame... events like Badders are so lovely to share with your family, human and canine alike!

^^^^THIS!

kerilli

Visit site
Not banned, but ANYONE letting go of a dog should have a fine, and any dog that chases a horse should be impounded until the owner pays a HUGE fine (to MDIRF or similar), as a deterrent.
One day a loose dog is going to cause a horrible fall.
People sitting near the xc with a yappy dog should shut it up, too. There was 1 about 10 strides from Cottesmore Leap at Burghley, yapping like mad every time a horse passed, I wonder whether it made any rider or horse's concentration waver just for a second...

georgiegirl

Visit site
I don't think they should be banned but I do think there should be very strict rules to encourage people to keep them under control. No loose dogs anywhere inc lorry parks and a hefty fine for those that are loose would hopefully encourage people to keep them under control.

Likewise for big events ie badders and burghley I do think there should be a ticket system in place for dogs ie a fiver per dog to go to charity. It may well help keep the numbers down as its a nightmare tripping over dogs all over the place particularly in the shopping areas etc.

Dogs are fine as long as they are on a lead and under control but at the end of a day its a safety issue. Those with dogs that can't be controlled should stay away and hopefully fines/tickets would help.

mtj

Visit site
Not banned, but ANYONE letting go of a dog should have a fine, and any dog that chases a horse should be impounded until the owner pays a HUGE fine (to MDIRF or similar), as a deterrent.
One day a loose dog is going to cause a horrible fall.
People sitting near the xc with a yappy dog should shut it up, too. There was 1 about 10 strides from Cottesmore Leap at Burghley, yapping like mad every time a horse passed, I wonder whether it made any rider or horse's concentration waver just for a second...

Think I saw the same dog nearby. Owners were laughing......

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com

I don't see the problem myself of leaving dogs at home. You have stables after all, it's easy enough to put a dog bed in there with a bucket of water and know the dog will be safe and happy, it's not like they have to be shut in a house with no way of having a wee.
If competitors must bring their dog then they should be the same as everyone else and keep it on a lead which is a rarity around here.

luce1

Visit site
I love my little dog more than anythign but never take her with me to any of these events, nor does she come with me when I am competing! she doesnt enjoy being draged around in in the heat being trodden on by milllions of people or enjoy others peoples dogs trying to attack her.
When i was at burghley the xc commentator was reading out car registration plates becuase people were leaving dogs in ars as they were distressed! why bring your dog to Burghley and leave it in the car?!?!

Ali16

Visit site
I don't see the problem myself of leaving dogs at home. You have stables after all, it's easy enough to put a dog bed in there with a bucket of water and know the dog will be safe and happy, it's not like they have to be shut in a house with no way of having a wee.
If competitors must bring their dog then they should be the same as everyone else and keep it on a lead which is a rarity around here.

Sorry, but I couldn't do that to my dogs. We are often gone for the entire day, and quite often stay away, this is just not an option for me. Also, my dogs have been taught NOT to do their business in stables! Imagine if a livery came up to see a dog pooh in their horse's nicely made bed?! :eek:

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
No, just ban irresponsible people. The dogs are fine but stupid adults should not attend.
Dogs, children are all good. I'd hate to see these events so sanitised that they stop being a family day out.
I don't think leaving my dogs in a stable would make them happy at all and wouldn't appreciate them using it as a toilet, unless it was an empty stable.

If the day is too hot for a dog to mooch about and lie under a tree, then travelling and competing a horse would be even more questionable.
Notices for a dog code of conduct and reminders from the commentator should suffice.

tiggs

Visit site
I don't think they should be banned but I do think there should be very strict rules to encourage people to keep them under control. No loose dogs anywhere inc lorry parks and a hefty fine for those that are loose would hopefully encourage people to keep them under control.

Likewise for big events ie badders and burghley I do think there should be a ticket system in place for dogs ie a fiver per dog to go to charity. It may well help keep the numbers down as its a nightmare tripping over dogs all over the place particularly in the shopping areas etc.

Dogs are fine as long as they are on a lead and under control but at the end of a day its a safety issue. Those with dogs that can't be controlled should stay away and hopefully fines/tickets would help.

I agree, I would hate them to be banned as it would severely limit the events I could attend as it is really difficult to get dog sitters at the weekend, but I would happily pay £5 to take her to big events.

We went to Blenheim on Saturday and had a fantastic time,we had a picnic pass and parked under a tree and sat in the shade at lunchtime. We shopped early and late and the dog wasn't stressed at all.

I agree with Kerilli's point about huge fines for loose dogs and if your dog chases a horse you should also have to refund the riders entry fee. However 99% of the dogs I saw at Blenheim were well behaved and enjoying a family day out.

ihatework

Visit site
No, I don't think there should be an outright ban. But I do think it would be wise to make things a little more regulated, especially at the big events. Benefits the dog & their owner but also the rider.

Personally, if I were organising, I'd ban dogs from the tradestands, ban them from the food areas.

I'd charge an admission fee for each dog, but would have 'pit stops' dotted around the course with poo bags & bin, and water containers.

And as Kerelli said, come down on the irresponsible dog owners like a ton of bricks.

Bestdogdash

Visit site

If you think it ok to leave a dog on its own locked up in a stable from 6.00am til 8.00pm (my standard event day) the you really shouldn't have a dog. If I have to explain it to you, you really should have a dog. Try a cat!

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
I think it would be ridiculous to have a ban, most dogs off lead at events are the competitors dogs around the stables and lorry parks, a very small minority of dogs cause problems. Banning them would be like banning the bars, just because a minority of people get too drunk imho.

I wouldn't take my dog to an event unless I had no other option, but thats because he's big and would struggle to be active all day imho. He also has a thing for running horses atm (mine!) so I won't take him anywhere until that phase is over (if it ends) as I would be mortified if he escaped off lead :eek: That said he would love to go, all those people to meet, and all those picnics to raid :rolleyes:

Perhaps more signage is needed at events to help owners with their dogs, re avoiding shopping areas, rest breaks, shade, water etc, and a steward (not the jump judge) should have the right to ask people to leave fences if their dog is creating an issue.

That yapping dog at Burghley did wind me up too :mad:

TarrSteps

Visit site
If you think it ok to leave a dog on its own locked up in a stable from 6.00am til 8.00pm (my standard event day) the you really shouldn't have a dog. If I have to explain it to you, you really should have a dog. Try a cat!

How is that different from dogs that live in kennels for all or part of the day? I, personally, would not do it to my dogs as they are used to being with me and I don't have a suitable facility, but I certainly do know people whose dogs live in kennels while they're out at work and don't die. And mine probably spend more time in the car than ideal - that is their kennel - if they are with me on a working day.

Anyhow, I don't think you can ban dogs outright but I would be very pleased to see a ticketing system for any event large enough to charge admission and an adoption of a fine for loose dogs. It's quite common for North American events to charge $50 or even $100 for loose dogs - it's funny how all those people who can't possibly leash or contain their dogs can all of a sudden do it if they think they'll be out of pocket. After all, you don't see loose horses at dog shows.

PiggyB

Visit site
I don't think dogs should be banned from events, most that I see are well behaved and polite, and usually used to being around horses.

However, when trying to watch the XC rounds at Burghley on the internet this year, I had to turn off the sound because of the incessant yapping, which was all I could hear! I thought at the time how annoying that must be for riders (and horses). Kerilli mentions a yapping dog sitting right next to Cottesmore Leap, can you imagine trying to focus for a fence like that with a dog shouting it's head off right next to you?

The main problem seems to be that many dogs at the major events are not used to seeing horses running around and as such, can't contain themselves. I don't know why a dog owner would take an animal like that to sit next to the XC course.

My last visit to Badminton was also a little spoilt by the number of dogs I was tripping over. It's busy enough as it is...at one point I got knocked over at Hunstman's Close by two St Bernards who were jostling for viewing position.

H-J

www.piczo.com
No I dont think they should be banned my dog had a wonderful day at Burghley. He is a highly strung dog that I couldnt leave at home all day, he loves to be out walking. He did not make a sound and behaved impreccibly.
Its the people that are to blame I saw a lady sitting down with 3 yappy dogs who barked and barked everytime a horse went past and she did nothing!

Its not just dogs either, maybe children should be banned! I saw many children screaming beside the fences and quite frankly out of control!!

Nicnac

Visit site
PiggyB - if you're are tripping over 2 St Bernards, you need to get your eyes tested :p

Fine owners definitely - loose dogs are a nightmare at any event. But then can we fine owners of yappy dogs too?

As for the person who said dogs should be banned from shopping areas at busy times at events; can we ban pushchairs too? Oh and ban people who huddle in groups checking out things so making other's shopping experience less pleasurable :p

It's a day out for everyone - and as long as dogs are well behaved, no reason to ban - the majority of dogs are fine, but it's the usually very small number who aren't that are noticed.

PiggyB

Visit site
Nicnac, as I said, I was knocked over, and also squashed against the fence at one point!

I couldn't agree more about pushchairs!!

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
PiggyB - if you're are tripping over 2 St Bernards, you need to get your eyes tested :p

Fine owners definitely - loose dogs are a nightmare at any event. But then can we fine owners of yappy dogs too?

As for the person who said dogs should be banned from shopping areas at busy times at events; can we ban pushchairs too? Oh and ban people who huddle in groups checking out things so making other's shopping experience less pleasurable :p

It's a day out for everyone - and as long as dogs are well behaved, no reason to ban - the majority of dogs are fine, but it's the usually very small number who aren't that are noticed.

Yes, lets go for zero tolerance.
I'd ban people who meander along and block everyone walking behind, people who increase the queue for the toilet by having a weak bladder, and anyone who wants to leave the carpark at the same time as me.

Twiglet

Visit site
The thing that I don't like about dogs at major events is how miserable most of them seen. At Blenheim on Saturday I lost count of the number of hot, exhausted and generally unhappy looking dogs (and a couple of sunburnt ones!). I know some enjoy it, but I wouldn't consider taking mine for a second, he would hate it.

After the loose dog in the water on Saturday the announcer made the comment that the dog had been caught but expected that a 'large donation should be made to the Dogs Trust' by the owner.

renegade

Visit site
I don't think dogs should be banned but do agree with on the spot fines for off lead dogs. I'd also ban leads over a certain length. A dog on the end of a flexi lead can be just as out of control as a loose dog imo.

BronsonNutter

Visit site
I think extendable leads should be banned, after nearly getting wiped out by a westie running in front of me at Burghley on an extendable lead whilst I was rushing to get some event grease before the rider went XC - somebody a bit less agile (eg. old lady) or paying less attention to where they were going could well have ended up flat on their face. Also, those kinds of leads break far too often - if I had my way everything would have to be in a correctly fitted collar/harness with a clip on short lead, or a sliplead and collar.

I love my little dog more than anythign but never take her with me to any of these events, nor does she come with me when I am competing! she doesnt enjoy being draged around in in the heat being trodden on by milllions of people or enjoy others peoples dogs trying to attack her.
When i was at burghley the xc commentator was reading out car registration plates becuase people were leaving dogs in cars as they were distressed! why bring your dog to Burghley and leave it in the car?!?!

My thoughts too. I don't take my dog eventing often because 1) I tend to be busy and 2) he gets stressed out by all the people and other dogs at the larger events. It's not enjoyable for him, so why bother? I do know a lot of dogs enjoy it though.

There were also lots of dogs being left at Bramham last year, when it was hot :( I think there should be fines (and windows smashed to get the dogs out!) for any dogs left in cars, as well as for loose dogs.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Yes, lets go for zero tolerance.
I'd ban people who meander along and block everyone walking behind, people who increase the queue for the toilet by having a weak bladder, and anyone who wants to leave the carpark at the same time as me.

Ditto this, esp the last point!

Maisie2

Visit site
No I don't think dogs should be banned, they're part of the country 'scene'. What I would ban in particular are extending leads:( . My daughter was at Berriewood earlier in the year and there were some people with dogs on these leads walking around the horses, which I thought extremely dangerous. I don't take my dogs, have to get my son-in-law to let them out (he'd rather do that than go to an event:eek:) My lurcher is an embarrassment and barks and whines every time a horse canters anywhere near her and my other dog has funny little legs which means he can't move very fast! But I enjoy seeing other people's dogs around - as long as they are well behaved and definitely not chasing horses on a course.

Supertrooper

Visit site
I think it's a case as always that the minority ruin it for the majority. I'm not an irresponsible dog owner (or wasn't - don't have a dog now) as I knew my dog would be a pain barking at the horses so I never took her.

If your dog is well behaved, on a short lead with you firmly attached to the other end then I don't see it as a problem. But you always get idiots don't you, I'm suprised that there hasn't been a serious accident as I can't imagine how off putting it must be when you and horse are trying to concentrate and a dog is chasing you!!

If it was me riding I'd be very annoyed!!