Should FEI change their rules to allow tackless?

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
I guess that's what I've been trying to say all along... you can't enforce/regulate training and therefore it's not consistent. The end result was not derived by standardised means. A dressage test is a judgement of the training of the horse at whichever level but a judge can only judge what they see on the day and if you know someone/some people have got to that test by training a horse not adhering to groundrules then I, personally, believe it lacks fairness. It is what it is though.

Top level dressage has improved for the better lately but lets think back 20 years ago or more when Kittel and Anky were top banana being rewarded for rollkur - where were the judges spotting the cheaters (cruel!) back then? The excuse was you can only judge the horse in front of them and that they did......................................................................

Last edited:

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
But you see there ARE ground rules in training, some people don't choose to follow them and it is the judges business to sort them out, which I concede doesn't always work, but mostly our judges are pretty darn good at spotting the cheaters. We're all lousy riders, BTW - it's just a matter of degree and dedication to improve.

I would so love to be as lousy a rider as you, Cortez ?

Last edited:

MagicMelon

Visit site
I'd not want to share a busy warm up with a bridleless horse, not be on a horse walkway at a big competition with one. No objections to being bridleless in a controlled situation, or when you are the only person / horse in the area.

Why not though? Surely thats purely because of your preconceived idea that the horse wont be under control? I would be happy to do so as Id certainly assume the person had properly trained the horse as I would anyone with a bridle. Ive seen plenty of horses rebelling against their ridiculous tack and insane bits to argue I hate sharing a warm up with them!

Definately IMO it should be allowed. But then hey, Im probably considered one of those "bunny huggers" that would merrily see spurs and whips banned too. On the SJ circuit for example, surely its fairer if a rider completes their round without carrying a whip or wearing spurs than someone who "taps" and jabs their horse round the whole thing... bizarre what people find acceptable in the horse world. And lets not get into the argument that they are not there as punishment when Id say 90% of riders use them as such or certainly in a way that the horse would feel they were!

If I were beaten by someone who wasn't even wearing a bridle I'd have utter respect for the person who trained their horse so incredibly well.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I've drag hunted with a horse with no bridle in the field, it was done for a bet. The horse was fine.

I wouldn't want to have one in a small collecting ring because accidents do happen and nobody should be exposing other riders to the possibility of a loose horse which can't be caught because there's nothing to catch it with.

flying_high

Visit site
Why not though? Surely thats purely because of your preconceived idea that the horse wont be under control? I would be happy to do so as Id certainly assume the person had properly trained the horse as I would anyone with a bridle. Ive seen plenty of horses rebelling against their ridiculous tack and insane bits to argue I hate sharing a warm up with them!

Definately IMO it should be allowed. But then hey, Im probably considered one of those "bunny huggers" that would merrily see spurs and whips banned too. On the SJ circuit for example, surely its fairer if a rider completes their round without carrying a whip or wearing spurs than someone who "taps" and jabs their horse round the whole thing... bizarre what people find acceptable in the horse world. And lets not get into the argument that they are not there as punishment when Id say 90% of riders use them as such or certainly in a way that the horse would feel they were!

If I were beaten by someone who wasn't even wearing a bridle I'd have utter respect for the person who trained their horse so incredibly well.

I am sure the horse would be well trained. But the reality of lots of unpredictable behavior in crowded warm up, sometimes means very abrupt unplanned stops or turns to avoid collisions, and I'd prefer a bridle for more direct control an emergency in those I share a close warm up space with. Or at least a headcollar for direct control. In a big space I don't care. And don't care re bit.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
I haven’t, not many around here. Mind you haven’t been in a warm up arena for a decade I realised yesterday...

Taliesan

Visit site
I ride bitless so have been in many warm up arenas with lots of people. None of whom noticed I hadn't got a bit in until I was stood waiting to go in and they could get a close look at my horse's bridle.