Should he stay or should he go... HELP!!

TheEquineOak

Visit site
Hi guys,

I have a beautiful horse that I've owned for almost 4 years. He was always 'too good' for me but was patient and happy none the less. After a relationship breakdown he went out on loan while I gathered my finances together and, due to pregnancy, he's coming back.
He has done and learnt so much in his loan home, he has competed for the county doing dressage and done some regional cross country. These are things that I just haven't got the ability to do and don't have the time to get there.
I obviously want my horse back but my head is telling me to put him out on loan to someone that would continue his education and have fun with him.
He's a 10 year old thoroughbred.
What would you do?!

asmp

Visit site
If you have the time and money to keep him - why not? He won't care if he doesn't go out competing. He's your horse - enjoy him!

TheEquineOak

Visit site
Thank you for your reply

Money yes, time not so much.
He'd be on full livery and ridden once a week at best. My heart wants him back but my head thinks he deserves more from an owner

teasle

Visit site
Just think long and hardabout what you relly want. Financially , it would be a good time to sell him for a good sum as he is young and sound, and with all that experience . But there are many options, as long as he is a safe ride for you ,he is yours, so keep him if that is what you want. You could get a sharer if you wanted him to do more, and in the future you may have more time to do more yourself. It is always nice for a horse to have a secure home where he is loved and wanted.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I agree that as long as your horse is cared for then he won't care if he is competing.

Would the person who loaned him like to have some riding still after she has her baby?

I also agree that if it suits you to sell then that is OK too :)

I would not underestimate the rare pleasure of finding a horse that suits you, and it would be a shame to let this one go if you were to just have to go and find another in a year or so?

I also wonder, if you were gong to sell then would it be easier now while he has been away for a while? Or would you prefer to have him home and see how it all pans out?

He does also sound ideal for another sharer or loan home!

It sounds like you don't have to do anything right now, I would rest easy for a while and see how it pans out.

Clare85

Visit site
Horses don't give two hoots whether they 'fulfil their potential' or not. As long as you feel safe on him and aren't overhorsed then why not enjoy him yourself? You could always get a sharer if you want him to get out and about, and then you can just hack him out a couple of times a week.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Thank you for your reply

Money yes, time not so much.
He'd be on full livery and ridden once a week at best. My heart wants him back but my head thinks he deserves more from an owner

It's funny how we sometimes think like this. But I can guarantee you one thing, your horse will be far happier being a happy hacker once a week than going out competing with someone else. Listen to your heart. It is what your horse would want.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I sold my other sports horse youngster a year ago as he had slot of potential and I just couldn't get to grips with him at all and had to admit defeat. However, the reason I sold him wasn't anything to do with potential etc...simply that our personalities had started to clash and neither of us was happy. And I think thats really what it boils down to...what do you WANT to do??
My current horse has fantastic paces and many knowledgeable people have said he has lots of dressage potential. I'd rather stick pins in my own eyes than do dressage but I'm not going to sell him lol. Trust me, given the choice your horse would choose chillaxin' with his buddies than busting his balls competing ;) Just do what YOU feel in your gut is the right thing to do xx

Spring Feather

Visit site
It depends on the personality of the horse. Some horses get a real buzz from competing and if your horse does enjoy this lifestyle OP then it's worth considering the loan route to a suitable rider. If he's not fussed either way then what does it matter if you don't compete him.

charli_

Visit site
He is still relatively young, why not put him out on loan for a few years and then possibly have him back when you might want him to have a quieter life? You could try someone who will only want him for a few years anyway like somebody at uni?

wil24702

Visit site
It depends on the personality of the horse. Some horses get a real buzz from competing and if your horse does enjoy this lifestyle OP then it's worth considering the loan route to a suitable rider. If he's not fussed either way then what does it matter if you don't compete him.
I am currently looking for a horse that is capable of doing what I want however that horse has to be happy with a relaxed lifestyle as well. As spring feather says - some are happy with a mix and match doing a bit of all sorts and others are happier Ina rigid working routine - look at what will make you both happy!