Should I be worried?......

Should we send it back?

• Total voters

vicm2509

Visit site
....or am I just being paranoind?

I have had Baron since april and have not once seen him lie down in his stable, although I know he does as one of his banks is always squashed in the morning.

Anyway, on sunday afternoon I caught him lying down. I thought if I went into his stable he would get right up but he didnt, I sat with him for about 20 mins then went away, came back and he was still down. He stayed down for about an hour. When he got up though he had a drink, ate some haylage, had a poo then had his tea so I wasnt worried. He had a hard day on saturday as he was ridden for quite a while in a lesson in the morning, then I lunged him late afternoon so I thought he may just be tired.

Anyway, he was lying down again this morning! He had eaten a little less haylage than usual but nothing I would usually be concerned about. Drank usual amount of water, no signs of colic whatsoever. I checked over his legs and no obvious signs of heat or pain. All in all he seemed his usual self. When I got the yard this morning he would have had his breakfast approx 1 1/2 hrs before I got there.

He has been in for 2 weeks while I cleared his mud fever, he went out for the first time yesterday as it has totally cleared up.

So my question is should I be worried about catching him lying down twice in 4 days or is it just conicidence and me being totally paranoid?

Tempi

Visit site
i didnt vote as there wasnt really an option for me, but hes obviously just tired from being out in the field for the first time in two weeks. My Archie is exhausted after a day out in the field!! I tie him up outside his stable and he stands there looking like hes just done a 10mile ride!! some horses tire easlily out in the field, i really wouldnt worry.

_OC_

Visit site
I would not worry my cob loves to crash in his box I think it shows his quite relaxed in his stable,also he is most certain relaxed round you......a good sign in my view(for what it's worth!)

PaddyMonty

Visit site
My lad wont get up if he's lying down in or out of stable.
Many a time I've had to put his head collar on and give a few tugs before he can be bother to get up.

Dont worry!

SamuelWhiskers

Visit site
Know how you feel, don't worry though, mine was laid flat out this morning on his side, legs stretched out, thought he was a vet job when i first saw him!! Went in, started stroking his head and he slowly woke up, one eye opened, then the other!! Think he just really enjoyed his two new bags of shavings he had in!!! Maybe they feel the same as us about getting up this time of year!!

vicm2509

Visit site
I must admit I was quite pleased on sunday when he stayed down, he even put his head on my knee which was so sweet. I really did expect him to get up. I guess it shows he trusts me now, especially as I was poking and prodding him and lifting his rugs up at first to check for colic signs
blush.gif

Since I got him this is the second stable he has been in, do you think perhaps hes just settled in properly now?

vicm2509

Visit site
Saying that you have me thinking now. I usually deep litter him through the week, but I left it in for 2 weeks then saturday morning I took his whole bed out (minus his huge banks) and gave him a brand new bed with 3 bales down. Maybe he was just testing it out
grin.gif

I will be keeping a close eye on him though, I just have this feeling that there is something not right. My last horse got PTS with severe colic so I am extra protective over Baron.

Kate_13

Visit site
My old horse used to lie flat out in the field and I used to get phone calls asking me if my horse was ok!

He used to lie down in the stable all the time and wouldn't get up! He was a lazy toad.

He was absolutely fine, just liked his sleep.