Should I bother with trailer test training?

spacie1977

Visit site
I'm considering doing my trailer test. I was just wondering if anyone here has attempted the test without paid training and if so, how the test went? I've towed a motorcycle trailer a fair bit so with risk of sounding incredibly cocky, I'm wondering just how hard can it really be? Seriously, googling what it entails, I think the hardest part will be getting my Landrover clean enough for an examiner to agree to sit in it (it's pretty minging inside! Lol)
I'm fortunate I own a towing vehicle and trailer, and have unlimited access to a large tarmac area with cones so my husband can help me practice the reversing as much as I like. The prices local trainers charge are pretty high, and I already know the highway code back to front as I work in road safety training, so I'm thinking maybe I should just take a punt on it. But at £115 a pop, I don't want to be making any big mistakes on the test simply because I don't know exactly what the examiner is looking for. E.g. how many times I'm allowed to straighten up before reversing, how many times I can get out to check the distance between the hitch and trailer etc. Does the examiner tell you this before you have a go at the manoeuvre?

CPayne

Visit site
I would definitely have one lesson to ensure that you do know the things you can and can't do for the test. I took my test a while back and just had one lesson before and one on the day of the test. I don't recall, but my husband just took his test and he says that the examiner did not detail what was and was not allowed. I guess just as in a car test the examiner never told you to put the handbrake on at a stop sign but you knew to because your instructor had. As good as you are at towing, unfortunately you won't know the exam technique so I would definitely have one lesson. As you say the test isn't cheap, plus only on weekdays so may have to take a day off work too.

ROG

Visit site
The B+E test
No medical or theory test required
Read a number plate from a certain distance
VIDEO - Show Me Tell Me Questions - usually 5
The next three can be in any order:-
VIDEO - Reversing Exercise - done in test centre grounds if test conducted from practical test centre - some tests are now being done from training school grounds
DSA REVERSING TEST AREA DIAGRAM
VIDEO - Uncouple/couple up - done in test centre grounds if test conducted from practical test centre - some tests are now being done from training school grounds
One hour road drive - includes the independent drive and is done virtually the same as the basic car test

Well explained here]

DISCLAIMER - I have no connection to any companies which may be featured in those videos

This is interesting BUT NOT RECOMMENDED – a B licence towing set up can be presented for the B+E test but L plates must be used for the test. So you can train yourself, go to test by yourself, fit L plates, do the test, then, pass or fail, remove L plates and drive away by yourself.
DSA B+E TEST AND VEHICLE/TRAILER REQUIREMENTS
PLEASE CHECK OUT THAT LINK ABOVE IF USING YOUR OWN B+E SET UP FOR THE TEST

SUPERVISING A B+E LEARNER
In April 2010 new rules were introduced for those supervising certain learner drivers but they only affected those supervising VOCATIONAL categories such as C1 C1+E D1 & D1+E where the supervising driver had those categories given to them for free when they passed a pre 1997 car test.
They do not affect those with a pre 1997 B+E licence who wish to supervise a B+E learner.
All B licence holders have B+E provisional on the paper part of their licence and can tow an empty or loaded trailer on all roads including motorways.
The usual rules apply when a learner is driving -
The supervising driver must be aged over 21
The supervising driver must have held a B+E licence for at least 3 years
L plates must be fitted to the front of the vehicle and the rear of the trailer
Correct insurance for a B+E learner

ROG

Visit site
I'm considering doing my trailer test. I was just wondering if anyone here has attempted the test without paid training and if so, how the test went? I've towed a motorcycle trailer a fair bit so with risk of sounding incredibly cocky, I'm wondering just how hard can it really be? Seriously, googling what it entails, I think the hardest part will be getting my Landrover clean enough for an examiner to agree to sit in it (it's pretty minging inside! Lol)
I'm fortunate I own a towing vehicle and trailer, and have unlimited access to a large tarmac area with cones so my husband can help me practice the reversing as much as I like. The prices local trainers charge are pretty high, and I already know the highway code back to front as I work in road safety training, so I'm thinking maybe I should just take a punt on it. But at £115 a pop, I don't want to be making any big mistakes on the test simply because I don't know exactly what the examiner is looking for. E.g. how many times I'm allowed to straighten up before reversing, how many times I can get out to check the distance between the hitch and trailer etc. Does the examiner tell you this before you have a go at the manoeuvre?
Q how many times I'm allowed to straighten up before reversing
A 2 forward movement once the reversing testhas started

Q how many times I can get out to check the distance between the hitch and trailer
A no set limit but what is deemed reasonable b the examiner

Q Does the examiner tell you this before you have a go at the manoeuvre
A about the 2 forward yes but not the second

Check out the reverse area diagram link I posted in my last post and if poss use rope or similar to mark the edges of the area instead of paint

I wish you were near me in Leicester so I could help you for free (with expenses covered)

mel_s

Visit site
My examiner told me nothing. You go for the test and are expected to know what you are supposed to be doing. You also need additional mirrors on your vehicle for the examiner.

I had a lesson before the test as well as one a few weeks before that. I was already towing with my mum next to me so i'd had plenty of practice. I'd have thought it would work out cheaper to have lessons that take more than one test.

Your normal driving needs to be correct - the 10 and 2 holding the wheel thing, using mirrors correctly, not going through traffic lights in 5th gear etc. I cant remember what i was told about reversing - but i straightened up once on the test. The backing up to hitch up - i was told getting out once was acceptable. You also have to hitch and unhitch the trailer in the correct order.

pippixox

Visit site
i personally was glad I did training. I had already done lots of maneuver practice on the farm, harder than the one in the test. but i found my driving had little habits which the examiner can mark you down on, with minors, or even fail on. for example, crossing over your hands when driving (ok to do in maneuver) and also i did not use to look in my mirrors or blind spots anywhere near as much as i should! you can easily practice yourself unhitching and re-hitching correctly and the trailer checks- from all the links ROG gave, but you really need to practice driving perfectly, as you have a hole hour on the road and they expect a professional standard, not a learner driver!
most importantly check your vehicle is ok, as would be terrible to pay and fail as you cant take the test if the vehicle doesn't meet requirements. or my instructor says they still have people not bring 2 parts of license despite being told hundreds of times.

kathantoinette

Visit site
I know someone who did the test without the training - she had towed lots of times, driven tractors and trailers etc. and said I'll be fine, I won't need the training. She then failed. For not being able to hitch up within the given timeframe - it was obviously not a familiar trailer to her. If she had done the training, this would have been shown to her. She resat the test with the training session first and then passed.

Feathered

Visit site
Just to echo what people have already said, I would definitely get a lesson or two before the test. I had trailer and towing practise before etc but it was the actual normal driving part of it that I needed the refreshing on.

It's amazing how many habits we pick up and things you forget. Like handbrake, neutral, signal off, has to be done in that order, I didn't know that and wouldn't have done it. All the not crossing your hands stuff, not letting the wheel slide through your hands.

It's pretty picky but that's how it is, and if it's been a while since you passed your original test then it's deffo worth having a lesson or two, cheaper than taking the test twice.

spacie1977

Visit site
Thank you so much for all your advice. Especially ROG that's brilliant.
My Landrover is an automatic. I've just read if I take the trailer test in an automatic I'll only be able to ever pull something whilst driving an auto. So looks like I'll have to have a lesson anyway so I can use the instructors car for the test as they're unlikely to let me use their vehicle without a lesson first. I'm not planning on changing it anytime soon but don't want to be restricted to an automatic if I do.
The laws on pulling a trailer are really confusing. I've got a 2006 Landrover discovery 3 Tdi se which I think can pull 2.5t. I've been told I can pull something over 750kg on a B licence as long as the weight of the trailer when laden is not heavier than the curb weight of the Landrover, AND the combined weight of both trailer and Landrover is no more than 3.5t. Is this correct? Obviously it won't be any use to me needing to pull a 700kg horse but useful to know for other things if I don't get around to doing the B+E before Christmas.

ROG

Visit site
I've been told I can pull something over 750kg on a B licence as long as the weight of the trailer when laden is not heavier than the curb weight of the Landrover, AND the combined weight of both trailer and Landrover is no more than 3.5t. Is this correct?
Not quite correct

the kerb/curb rule was revoked on 19/01/2013

The combined weight is not actual weight but the total of the two legally possible weights

Vehicle GVW (MAM) added to trailer MAM must not total more than 3500 kgs if towing a trailer over 750 kgs MAM on a B licence

Potato!

Visit site
My OH is a farmer and has been towing trailers since he was about 12 he failed his test a couple of times on the driving section and nothing to do with the trailer part. He booked a lesson and passed within a few days, so in my opinion well worth doing if you can't afford to waste money. I booked a towing lesson and the instructor said i would onlt need a couple of sessions before booking my test and i passed 1st time having never towed a trailer before.