Should I buy a horse this year?

Joeyjojo

Visit site
I have two already (oldie living his retirement and a pony for my children) and space for a third for me. I've just had a baby, which will be the last I have and have really missed not riding for the last 9 months. At some point I want to get a horse suitable for me to ride, mainly dressage but a bit of jumping too. Should I consider it this year? Prices are bonkers and I feel like they must normalise a bit eventually. I miss having my own to ride, it feels like my only bit of me time has disappeared. Equally I don't want to rush into things and regret spending a fortune on an average horse just because the market went crazy over covid. What would you do?

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
If you want a horse buy one - tomorrow may never come.....

Ditto ↑↑↑
Besides, only because you start looking it's no guarantee that you'll find something anytime soon. On the other hand, you might also find something, and then as Stormox said, why not go for it, tomorrow might never come.

Joeyjojo

Visit site
That's true, it might take ages to find the right horse. It's been so long since I last looked (pretty sure my last horse purchase was found in a magazine!) Where is good to look? How much should I expect to pay for a 3-6yo 15.1 - 16hh horse suitable for dressage. Not a GP prospect but a nice moving horse with a sensible brain.

blitznbobs

Visit site
I always think the phrase ‘patience is a virtue’ is the biggest lie going. Time is the one thing you won’t get more of so I’m a great believer in getting in with the things you want to do... just be realistic as to how much time you have to spare and bout something that you can cope with given any restraints on your time because of the kiddiwigs... good luck

(ps taking advice from me can be dangerous I have 5 and 2 kids and am slightly deranged and can afford a groom)

Joeyjojo

Visit site
I am loving the consensus on this thread! Buy now don't wait ?

I hope that once the two eldest go back to school/pre-school I'll have more time to focus on horses. I have an idea of getting getting 3yo to back over the summer, then leave till next spring to mature. I can't decide if it's bonkers or not. I can easily get help if needed.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I am loving the consensus on this thread! Buy now don't wait ?

I hope that once the two eldest go back to school/pre-school I'll have more time to focus on horses. I have an idea of getting getting 3yo to back over the summer, then leave till next spring to mature. I can't decide if it's bonkers or not. I can easily get help if needed.
Not wanting to put a downer on that plan but it was one I thought of in a similar situation. There are a few stumbling points (which you may have/be able to cover)
My main one was once riding away you really could do with a nanny horse to get the youngster out in the roads or hacking.
Then if you have a horse that can be unpredictable and your out with children on ponies it’s pretty stressful ?
In your situ and be more inclined to get something you can just get on and go with. Something you don’t need to worry about every day (exercise wise) and that you know is safe to take out with your children.
Boring? ? sorry!

Cherryblossom

Visit site
I bought an unhandled 3yo last year when my youngest was 11months. She was broken at the end of last year and I’ll restart her next month. I hadn’t planned to have a youngster but she crossed my path and I was so impressed with her calm attitude that I decided to risk it. So far she’s given me no reason to regret that, but I am going to have to enlist help to restart her as instead of dropping my hours in work I’m now working ~47 hours a week; so with small children as well I’m not exactly time rich!

Joeyjojo

Visit site
I have an old Welshie that can come out for hacks with a youngster or an unflappable child's pony. It would have to be a very sensible 3yo, but I have done it before (many moons ago) and it went OK but maybe I was just lucky. Last time I bought a 6yo, but if I tried to buy a horse like her again it would be £15k no doubt in the current market and I can't afford that.

Kahlua

Visit site
What is your plan long run? I appreciate you don’t want a GP prospect, but do you want to get to a certain level, be somewhat competitive, or do you just want something you’re going to have fun on? All these things will probably shape what budget you need and what will suit your lifestyle.

I’m still working out the prices here so correct me if I’m wrong, but based on what I’ve seen in my own searches for myself and clients - a well bred warmblood for dressage, with a good, trainable brain will be in the £20k - £40k bracket. Anything with that plus good movement will be in the £40k - £60k bracket and anything with great movement will be £60k plus. International quality will be over £100k. Obviously level of training can move these brackets too. Edited to add: I’m sure there are bargains cheaper than this to be found, but would definitely take a lot of patience and searching.

I pretty much always advise my clients to go for something older with training and slightly less flash movement, because I know this is what they’ll get the most enjoyment out of as it’s slightly less pressure. But if you know a young horse will fit into your life then why not. It can be a wonderfully rewarding journey to take your own horse through the levels ☺️

Visit site
This could almost be my situation (minus the baby!)

I have two oldies, one which is still ridden but just hacking. I know I will need to look for my next horse soon but realistically it will be next year. For one, the prices are extortionate at the moment, and two I do still have the two. My 29 year old may not go through another winter so then I will be down to the one. He won't be alone because they live with my friend's horse, but I realistically should start to think about finding myself something I can Hunt/Jump as my Appy will be 23 next year! He will be with me for life, and I am in no rush but I need to start trying to save some money towards my next one - another which will be my next forever horse.

Joeyjojo

Visit site
What is your plan long run? I appreciate you don’t want a GP prospect, but do you want to get to a certain level, be somewhat competitive, or do you just want something you’re going to have fun on? All these things will probably shape what budget you need and what will suit your lifestyle.

I’m still working out the prices here so correct me if I’m wrong, but based on what I’ve seen in my own searches for myself and clients - a well bred warmblood for dressage, with a good, trainable brain will be in the £20k - £40k bracket. Anything with that plus good movement will be in the £40k - £60k bracket and anything with great movement will be £60k plus. International quality will be over £100k. Obviously level of training can move these brackets too. Edited to add: I’m sure there are bargains cheaper than this to be found, but would definitely take a lot of patience and searching.

I pretty much always advise my clients to go for something older with training and slightly less flash movement, because I know this is what they’ll get the most enjoyment out of as it’s slightly less pressure. But if you know a young horse will fit into your life then why not. It can be a wonderfully rewarding journey to take your own horse through the levels ☺️

Those prices scare the hell out of me! I do not need to spend that much on a horse. When I say I want a dressage horse, I am not a serious competition rider. I doubt I ever will be. I can't see me having the time to get all dolled up for shows with 3 kids. But I love training and building up the levels of movement in dressage so I want something I can play with at home that has a bit of movement. I was riding about elementary level pre baby but would like to get a young horse and start that journey again as the daily wins when learning is what keeps it interesting for me.

Joeyjojo

Visit site
This could almost be my situation (minus the baby!)

I have two oldies, one which is still ridden but just hacking. I know I will need to look for my next horse soon but realistically it will be next year. For one, the prices are extortionate at the moment, and two I do still have the two. My 29 year old may not go through another winter so then I will be down to the one. He won't be alone because they live with my friend's horse, but I realistically should start to think about finding myself something I can Hunt/Jump as my Appy will be 23 next year! He will be with me for life, and I am in no rush but I need to start trying to save some money towards my next one - another which will be my next forever horse.

Its so hard isn't it. Like you I can still ride my older horse, I wouldn't do more than a gentle hack with him though. It's nice, but not what makes me really tick when it comes to horses. I tend to hang on to horses though, and I need this one to fit into my family life. I really don't want to make a bad decision and over horse myself with a crazy 3yo warmblood.

windand rain

Visit site
12 years ago I bought a very well bred hanovarian gelding He was an easy horse with mega tons of talent and an exceptionally good walk He was 2 years old he cost me the princely sum of current prices £5000 He was worth so much more kept him until he was 6 and he was absolutely breath taking. I guess he would be worth a small fortune now but it is only fairly recently that prices for horses has actually reflected their true value. I would expect to pay more now although I couldn't afford it now