Should I change farrier?

Should I change farrier?

• Total voters

Arizahn

Visit site
I'm finding it hard to get in contact with my current farrier - they don't answer their phone and haven't replied to a text. I sent the text yesterday afternoon, asking them to let me know if they could come out before this Friday. They don't work weekends.

My horse has chipped her hoof again and I want to take the shoes off until the horn is in better condition. I also asked the farrier to let me know if they approved of this idea. Still no response to text and still can't get them on the phone.

This is the second time I couldn't reach them and last time was an emergency - shoe half off, half on - needed farrier to remove it entirely to avoid injury to horse.:( In the end another livery was able to sort it thankfully.

I'm wondering if I should just contact a different farrier or would that be terrible of me?

Mlini

Visit site
I'd get a new one. Can't stand farriers that you can't get in touch with.

I had a similar one, wouldn't answer or wouldn't turn up. So I got a new one :D He's brilliant - Then the old one deleted me as a friend on Facebook :eek: think that shows how much of a loser he is!! :rolleyes:

majors

Visit site
I had to change farriers last year, as on the friday horses pulled a shoe, I had paid to enter a ODE event on the sunday. Farrier is part of a practise rang all the numbers I had and txed no answer! We had three horses between us being shod every 5-6 weeks but they offered no customer service always felt they were doing you a favour. Luckily a farrier new to the area was advertising he came out on the sunday morning early and put the shoe back on. He always rings before appiontment, will come at short notice and alway calls back if you ring. Farriers seem to forget we pay money for a service, my OH is a plumber we go out on Bank Holidays if we can, evenings short notice as that is the nature of being self employed. Do what suits you not your farrier you are the customer (rant over)!!:):)

Marydoll

Visit site
Farriers are very busy guys, you only text yesterday .
Id give him a day or so to call back. Personally I would take off a'shoe that was unsafe myself, its a good skill you should ask your farrier to show you the correct way to do this then you'll never be in that position again.
If youre still not happy with the service then change farriers

xRobyn

Visit site
Give him a call, if still no reply look elsewhere!

I pay more than I would now for most farriers, but my farrier is on time, always answers the phone, never let me down and supports me (alongside being a good farrier!).

My previous farrier cancelled on me when I explained I thought my horse might have laminitis :mad:

Arizahn

Visit site
Farriers are very busy guys, you only text yesterday .
Id give him a day or so to call back. Personally I would take off a'shoe that was unsafe myself, its a good skill you should ask your farrier to show you the correct way to do this then you'll never be in that position again.
If youre still not happy with the service then change farriers

Planning on learning how to do this.
I'm getting another farrier to come and check her hoof cos regular guy still unreachable and I'm worried in case it needs anything done to it.