should i change my ponies bit ?

xoxsm

Visit site
hi im working with an 11.2hh welsh X shetland pony shes a good wee pony very responsive to leg [sometimes when shes not having tantrums lol] bt she's really strong and is always pulling her head down and when i try and stop her frrom a canter or gallop she doesn't stop until she wants to
shocked.gif
shes in a full cheek snaffle at the moment and was considering changing her to a dutch gag but don't want to keep puttn her in stronger bits incase she fights against it more but at the moment its a bit dangerous ecspecially when she bolts
frown.gif
vet has been out and cheaked her over and evrything is fine
smile.gif
. im currently re schooling her doing a lot of transitions to get her listening to me but its out hacking she just goes in a wee world of her own. any advice would be great
grin.gif

amandathepanda

Visit site
I would change her noseband - if she is putting her head down to tank off chances are she is crossing her jaw/opening her mouth, a grakle will stop this.

I don't like seeing small ponies bitted up so IMO I think the best approach is for her schooling to be improved to make her more responsive when she is asked to slow down & use the noseband to help with the schooling.

xoxsm

Visit site
hi thanks for the advice yeh ive ordered her a grakle bridle hopefully it will come this week, she was in a flash bt she managed to snap this when she bolted with me
frown.gif
. she sometimes gets used for pony rides on lead rein and shes great on tht wee angel lol but she'll never get sold to another home as she has had a very bad past so she'll stay with us forever
smile.gif