Should I clip Shetland pony

sophandbarley

New User
Visit site
hello everyone... Never posted before so a quick introduction first. I have 2 horses living at home ( farmers wife) my standardbred x called Barley and my daughters mini shetland called Teddy!
Teddy has recently started itching at rubbing so now has a few bald patches around his chest and back of legs. Up to date with worming, checked and cannot see any creepy crawlies! He has however got very bad dry dandruff skin which I think May be the problem. Also the stables are now ready and with him having about 3 inches of hair (very mild winter) he is sweating when in stable even when just for a few hours. He has to come in as I like to keep them together for company.
So is it fair to clip him?? Many thanks!!

Abby-Lou

Visit site
Hi I have a standard shetland & I clip last week in Jan each year then rug up other wise she keeps her coat until July ! I would shake her over with louse powder & again in another week. You can't see all Illegal immigrants ! Ak mites - good luck

Theocat

Visit site
If he's sweating he's too hot, so yes, i'd take some off. Just to a neck and belly to start with and take off more if you find you need to.

sophandbarley

New User
Visit site
Thanks everyone!! So I already have powder ready, fingers crossed he is dry enough in the morning as not in stable yet and takes about 3 days to dry sometimes! I will try a kind of bib clip maybe a bit more at neck then go from there. Thanks again

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Do you have a low door for him or a full size one?
usually they will cope and not be so hot if outside air can circulate, but if stuck indoors with full door they often overheat.
I would be treating for lice or mites to start with:)

ofcourseyoucan

Visit site
I have a Shetland. he is hunter clipped from August til march/april. he always gets too hot. he is in at night out in day and never wears a rug. he is never cold even when temps are minus. he gets sweaty itchy and grumpy when due another clip. I would clip and wash. rug if req but it is very warm for the time of year. don't forget he was made to live on the Shetland isles where it is very bleak in the winter

_HP_

Visit site
I've recently clipped my shetland. He has an incredibly dense coat and was sweating alot. I've given him a make shift clip...neck and belly and a heart on his bum ;).
I ran the clippers the wrong way though..ie the way the coat grows so it didnt cut as short as it would normally , and have left him unrugged. He's alot happier.

NinjaPony

Visit site
My welsh a has a full clip as he gets really dandruffy, itchy skin under his winter coat. It's so much better without the fluff, I can give him a hot wash every week, apply cream to his mane and he's a lot less itchy. I just make sure I rug appropriately as he feels the cold, but he's a bit of an exception to the native rule.

now_loves_mares

Visit site
Did you do it? If so, I assume you are now lying on the sofa with a bad back. It's the hardest clip I ever did, mine is a mini and I had to lie underneath her! Also I learned from last year and got her done early, before the coat got too thick. The difficult bit is getting them dry enough (whether from rain or heat) to actually clip. But thank god I did it as it's been so mild, I can't imagine how hot she would have been otherwise. I just took neck and all her belly but might do more next year.

muckypony

Visit site
Im intrigued to know if you've done this yet or not and if you have, how did you get on?

I have two yearlings and one is world's biggest wimp but the other is getting far too hot! I think he needs a bib and belly clip but I don't think my clippers will actually get through his coat now :(

sophandbarley

New User
Visit site
hello everyone !! nope nothing done, it must have rained all night, was dripping wet this morning, brought him in for a few hours but still far too wet!! forecast good for next few days so hopefully he will dry off ! My only worry is the clippers won't be able to cope with the amount of hair, definitely learnt my lesson and clipping before November I think. With regards to mites am I thinking they mainly abuse the legs - feathers more? He never seems to bother to itch or stamp feet etc.

NeverSayNever

Visit site
hello everyone !! nope nothing done, it must have rained all night, was dripping wet this morning, brought him in for a few hours but still far too wet!! forecast good for next few days so hopefully he will dry off ! My only worry is the clippers won't be able to cope with the amount of hair, definitely learnt my lesson and clipping before November I think. With regards to mites am I thinking they mainly abuse the legs - feathers more? He never seems to bother to itch or stamp feet etc.

no they can effect them all over. Yes they are common in feathers of traditional types but they are still all over the body. I’ve had to clip 2 shetlands now because of mites - in one the worst affected area was her jawline which resembled mudfever but if you think about it, the hair there is so dense and long and always wet with being so close to the ground it’s a perfect area for them, yuk. Manes and tails were also affected. One pony had to get fuciderm cream to break the itch scratch cycle as well as the dectomax.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I clip my shetland - she normally gets a trace clip in the Autumn for the winter (she's a very dirty mare and her under-tum hair never dries and goes all matted), then she gets a hunter clip as soon as it starts getting warmer in the Spring. She has cushings and her coat is so thick, she gets really itchy and hot with it otherwise - she loves being clipped! Dribbles all over the floor!