Should I do it?

Which brand of rug do you favour as being an allround, good quality one?

• Total voters

Rana

Visit site
Hoping for some opinions here.

Firstly some background - I'm a reasonably competent rider coming back to riding after a break. My background is in dressage and polo. I've jumped (literally!) 3 times in the past 7 years, and only twice since having a 4 year break.

I've just started riding a friends horse. Have ridden him on the flat 4 times and jumped him twice, over approx 2' (piddly I know but I always hated jumping!).

Horse is kept at a riding school, and they have a mini Hickstead comp running this weekend. It's open to all and classes vary from 1'3 to 3', with a clear round course as well. There are no height or age limits set.

So, first question is, should I enter at all?? I'm very nervous and I think the horse could get quite strong and bouncy. Comp is in an open field and I've only ridden him in the school.

Second question is, do I just do the clear round (in larger field with ditches and water trays) or do I enter one of the smaller classes (smaller field, mix of SJ's, rustic, and mini XC fences)? I think I'd only really be confident doing the smaller classes in the smaller field.

Third question is - I think the smaller classes are likely to be mostly kids on ponies. Would I be completely out of place on a 14.3 cob? I've never even entered a jumping comp before, let alone been placed, so it would be kind of a big deal for me. I could enter HC I suppose, as it wouldn't be very sporting to compete against kids (I'm an adult btw
grin.gif
), but then I am a total novicey wimp when jumping and the kids would be far better than me anyway!

AAARGH! What to do??

Rana

Visit site
*whispers* But the clear round is bigger than the small class
blush.gif
*wibble* And it's in the bigger field *more wibble* And it has ditches and things (which I've never done and horse hasn't done for at least 3 years) *gulp* And that's if I survive the warm up without being bucked off *panic*

I think I'm talking myself out of this now....

Rana

Visit site
Nope, owner is less confident than me! I suggested she do it and she bashed it back to me lol.

Clear round starts at 1'6 - so height wise it's fine really (he just trots over anything under 1'9). It's just the bigger field and the ditches/water trays that are making me *wibble*. Plus, I've ridden a different horse in the smaller field so for some irrational reason, I would feel more confident
blush.gif

Dubsie

Visit site
Well you're a far more experienced rider and braver than me: I wouldn't even contemplate jumping anything! But I'd start with the CR see how that goes then decide. it's what my daughter does. You'll probably find they'll vary the height of the CR during the day anyway to accomodate the (usually super brave) litttlies on the 11 hh and under

BFG

Visit site
I said yes and small round as a competitor.

You will be fine and like you said the kids will be wizzing over everything anyway, they dont have fear at that age.

Enjoy it and take it at your own pace you will be fine.

dwi

Visit site
I wouldn't worry about competing against children. They'll probably all be on springy ponies that can turn on a sixpence. Embarrassing to be beaten by an eight year old but not unsporting to compete against them if you are at that standard. D and I get beaten by small children all the time because I'm too much of a wimp to jump in the bigger classes.

Rana

Visit site
Thanks all! Now I just have to decide which class to do. I think I've ruled out the clear round as it has ditches and I don't like ditches.

So that leaves 1'3 (1'6 in jump off) which he will just trot over, or 1'6 (1'9 in jump off) which he might jump rather than trot and is well within my comfort zone, or 1'9 (2'0 in jump off) which would be ok in first round but I'd probably panic if we got to the jump off.

I'm thinking 1'6 and then the 1'9 if it goes well.

Of course I have to survive the warm up first, which could be interesting....

Kenzo

Visit site
Yes but do something that is within your capabilities...even if your nervous, you'll be fine, you don't know unless you give it ago.
smile.gif

Whats the worst that could happen?

Rana

Visit site
lol Kenzo. Here's my list of what could go wrong:

I could fall off and embarrass myself
I could fall off and injure myself
I could break the pony
Pony could fall over and injure both of us
I could ride like a complete muppet and it all goes horribly wrong

Yes, I know, the same could happen if I was walking him round the school. In all honesty, I'm only really nervous that he might go loopy in a grass arena and p*** off with me or buck me off. Owner hasn't jumped him on grass. Someone else jumped him on grass last year and found him very strong. I don't cope very well with strong horses
crazy.gif

I've jumped 2' with him in the school, so 1'6-1'9 should be well within my limits and the fences will look smaller outside anyway. Except the XC fences, they might be scary. I've never done XC before. *wibble*

Kenzo

Visit site
ohhh Rana Rana Rana, you don't get out of things that easily you know, you talking to me here
grin.gif

I could fall off and embarrass myself - so what? you'll provide some light entertainment.

I could fall off and injure myself - you'll mend

I could break the pony - he'll mend

Pony could fall over and injure both of us - you can both mend together

I could ride like a complete muppet and it all goes horribly wrong - you'll learn not ride like a muppet next time.

Sorry you'll have to do better than that
grin.gif

Slinkyunicorn

www.rutlandhorseextras.co.uk
Do it!! I think you are brave for even thinking about jumping - I can't get my head round having to keep my eyes open
d060.gif
....!!!

As for the kids don't worry about them - my neices spend all year practising like demons to beat the adults at the annual yard show
a090.gif
- and usually do!! - but none of us 'let' them win
a090.gif
!! They will go to shows where there will be kids doing working hunter classes and then comung back to be out on lead rein for first ridden......life is all about competition whether it seems fair or not.

Rana

Visit site
Er Er Er *wibble*

Yeah ok, I give in. I've emailed pony's owner to check I can enter. I've emailed the venue to check I can do it without show gear (I'm losing weight and don't want to fork out for cream jods and black jacket to wear once before I outshrink them
grin.gif
). In fact, as soon as I hear back from the owner, I'm all set.

Will insist we put his kimblewick and martingale on. He doesn't need it but it'll make me feel better (don't worry, I have light hands and grab chunks of mane to make sure I stay balanced over the jump).

I have completely lost the plot. Please send the men in white coats.

Rana

Visit site
lol Slinky. So far, my jumping consists of turning a small circle towards the jump (so I don't have to look at it), straightening up (ok, pony does that on his own), waiting until 1 stride out then grabbing a chunk of mane, keeping my legs on, and collapsing in a heap on the other side. Then picking up the reins and putting leg on to trot round and turn in again. I can't look at a jump with someone standing next to it because I realise how big it is.

I mean, what am I doing???

I think you're right about the kids though. Plus, they all probably jump at least once a week so I'm at a disadvantage really
grin.gif

Kenzo

Visit site
That's more like it...get a bit of fighting spirit in ya!
smile.gif

As for competition clothing, well you can soon scrape something together, have you ever heard of the phrase beg, steel and borrow?
grin.gif
.....cos everyone I know certainly has done
smirk.gif
I'm sure somenoe will lend you a jacket and stuff.

Just have fun, thats all that matters.
smile.gif

Darkly_Dreaming_Dex

Visit site
Are you talking about C? Is so i did it with my baby 16hh spotty horse last year and some friends are taking their horses in the little class for first show confidence
grin.gif
I would strongly recommend you do the little jump ring as the big one is not an inviting environment . Several good hunting horses were fazed by the ditch combo
crazy.gif
and i feel you need to build your confidence rather than struggle round. FWIW they did CR in the little jump ring after the classes.

Rana

Visit site
Kenzo - I don't know anyone who rides who is my size
blush.gif
Of course if anyone has any ideas about where I can borrow some 34" cream or beige jods and a size 18 black or navy jacket, I'd be very grateful
grin.gif
Otherwise I shall just muddle through with my black jods and a plain polo shirt.

DDD - yep, that's the one! Friends horse is stabled there so will (hopefully) be less stressful for him. The class I'm planning on is either 1'3 or 1'6 (haven't decided yet!) which is in Ring 1. CR is in Ring 3. Avoiding Ring 2 which "may have ditch or water tray combinations". Sounds too scary for me and not sure when pony last jumped ditches or water trays!

I will look our for your friends and take reassurance that I won't be the only adult on a horse there
grin.gif
lol

Darkly_Dreaming_Dex

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Kenzo - I don't know anyone who rides who is my size
blush.gif
Of course if anyone has any ideas about where I can borrow some 34" cream or beige jods and a size 18 black or navy jacket, I'd be very grateful
grin.gif
Otherwise I shall just muddle through with my black jods and a plain polo shirt.

DDD - yep, that's the one! Friends horse is stabled there so will (hopefully) be less stressful for him. The class I'm planning on is either 1'3 or 1'6 (haven't decided yet!) which is in Ring 1. CR is in Ring 3. Avoiding Ring 2 which "may have ditch or water tray combinations". Sounds too scary for me and not sure when pony last jumped ditches or water trays!

I will look our for your friends and take reassurance that I won't be the only adult on a horse there
grin.gif
lol

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldnt worry to much about your kit at C- they are very easy going as long as you have boots/hat! Ring 1 is very inviting- it can be slippery so stick to a strong trot or take your corners wider to allow for this- then you will be fine! My friends are definately going- not sure about me as i have a dodgy hand from falling off a ladder yesterday
crazy.gif
Why not do the 1'3 as a warmup and then the 1'6 so you get in 2 classes over the same course?

SouthWestWhippet

Visit site
I vote Yes and Small round as competitor

To be honest, the small kids on ponies in my experience generally go like rockets and are vitrually unbeatable.

Lots of adults in small classes these days with pony-youngsters, or just getting the hang of it.

Don't put too much pressure on yourself by facing your jumping fears and your ditch fears and your height fears and your 'big field' fears all at once. Start really safe and small and have fun!

Walrus

Visit site
If you'll feel safer in the smaller field go in the class. But remember you could go in the clear round and only jump some of the fences and skip the others. I once took someone elses pony in the clear round and only jumped 5 out of the 9 fences - and we were so pleased with him it was ridiculous!

Rana

Visit site
QR

Thanks for replies everyone
smile.gif
Have decided I'm definitely going to enter (on the day).

Kenzo - you are a very bad influence and my OH will not be impressed! I daren't even look at the links as I will be sorely tempted and my car tax needs paying
grin.gif

DDD - hope your hand is ok! I was planning on jumping from a trot anyway
smile.gif
I think he'd get a bit too strong in canter. He'll just crash through at 1'3 which is why I thought I'd do the 1'6. We can do 1'9 too if we're feeling brave (it's at the top of my confidence level, but it's an option if the 1'6 goes well).

SWW - That was my thinking - in the unlikely event we reach the jump off, the ponies will be able to make much better turns than coblet will, so we wouldn't be placed anyway - so no need to worry about being thought of as a pot hunter (which I'm not!). Just want to enjoy myself and have a bit of a challenge.

Walrus - that's a good point, hadn't thought of that! It's very chilled at the venue though, and I know the organisers, so I'm sure if I missed a jump out, they'd let me complete and eliminate me afterwards
grin.gif

Thanks for the moral support. Horses owner is very excited so I think we'll have a fun day. Now just have to hope he behaves himself!!

Fransurrey

Visit site
I voted yes and clear round. You're obviously nervous about just entering at all, so you could simply do the clear round and then see if they'll accept you in another class if you're confident. This way, you stretch your comfort zone, but not to a point that'll put you off future comps.

BTW 2' to me is flippin huge. I am a strictly horizontal type (don't know why, all my falls have occurred on the flat, not jumping!).

Rana

Visit site
Thanks Fran. 2' is huge to me too! I've been strictly a "4 feet on the ground" rider for the past 12 years (since I left agric college!). I did pop a 6 inch cross pole about 7 years ago, but that was on a 16.2 eventer so I don't think it really counts lol. In fact, I'm not entirely sure where this new found love of jumping has come from!

Going to have a look at the CR course and the 1'6 course and then decide which one to do - depends on the ring and what "scary" jumps are in each. Fortunately I can enter on the day so I don't need to decide until I've seen
grin.gif