Should I enter teeny tiny jumping comp with my horse!?

emmanash

Visit site
Evening all. I am a nervous nelly when it comes to jumping and my horse and I haven't left the ground for around 2yrs. Having said this I really want to gain confidence and enjoy jumping. Our local indoor school holds regular jumping comps. These are local friendly affairs. The smallest class is 1ft 6ins, followed by 2ft. Do you think I would look like a plonker entering the smallest class as an adult?

kerrieberry2

Visit site
no, do it! you would be a plonker if you entered a bigger class and bottled it :)

I'm sure ill be doing the same on my 16'2 4yr old when he starts jumping (once he's mastered canter haha)

Woolly Hat n Wellies

Visit site
Absolutely not. I see lots of adults entering the tiny classes at local shows and riding centre competitions. I'm 25, on a 15.2hh, and I recently jumped the 65cm class at a local show. I got clear, but came out with my knees beating a drum solo against the saddle flaps, and my hand shaking so hard that I dropped my rosette on the floor almost immediately (grinning from ear to ear though!). Almost the entire class was adults. The youngest person in there was my friend, aged 12, but she's taller than me and also on a 15.2hh!

Go for it!

Bede

Visit site
No, you won't look a plonker.

People do the classes they do for all sorts of reasons, and are generally so focussed on what they are doing themselves that that they don't take much notice of what other people are up to.

Do what you are comfortable doing, have fun, and good luck

emmanash

Visit site
Thanks for your replies, I think I'm going to go for it! May be small but to me I'll feel like I've ridden around Hickstead!

Polar Bear9

Visit site
Hello :) Go for it! I see plenty of adults doing these classes and I will be doing the same when my mare starts jumping again. We used to compete up to 3 foot but I've lost my nerve and shes had 2 years out so I will not be feeling embarrassed :)
Also maybe if you haven't got off the ground in 2 years going out to a little jumping clinic first would be a good idea? Then you can get out and try something without the pressure of competition

Jericho

Visit site
Definitely go for it - I regularly take my daughter to similar shows and there are always adults competing in them. I often think that I should take my mare just for some fun ( and I never jump!)

StormyMoments

Visit site
Of course not! I took my 17.2hh around a 1'6ft class and I cant tell you how happy I was that we went clear! Seriously just do it! I was competing against a Shetland with a 4 year old on :) I felt so much better after :) Do it!

SadKen

Visit site
I'm going to do this when I feel that my jumping is no longer so awful that other people can look at it without dissolving into paroxysms of laughter ! Do it do it!

emmanash

Visit site
That's a good idea Bear9, I'll look around and see if there are any clinics. I'm not overly competitive but just want to see what I can achieve with my horse. Jumping is something that makes me really nervous but not really sure why. I have no desire to tackle huge fences, just want to have some fun! (She says quivering!)

misskk88

Visit site
Evening all. I am a nervous nelly when it comes to jumping and my horse and I haven't left the ground for around 2yrs. Having said this I really want to gain confidence and enjoy jumping. Our local indoor school holds regular jumping comps. These are local friendly affairs. The smallest class is 1ft 6ins, followed by 2ft. Do you think I would look like a plonker entering the smallest class as an adult?

No definitely not! You are unlikely to be the only adult, and if you are than it is far better to gain confidence and then eventually move up the levels, than to get in the ring and bottle it! Do whatever you would enjoy and have fun with!

I am like you, use to jump all the time, now rarely leave the ground. I would much rather start small, see how it goes and then decide on more of a challenge once my confidence is better!

Good luck :D

EquestrianFairy

Visit site
I'm doing my first one in about oooooo 3/4 years on Saturday and I've also 'ummed and ahhhh'd' about it but decided that I'm doing it! The smallest class is 2' so I will enter that and if we do well I will brave 2'3. My horse has competed up to 3'6 but I've lost all my bottle so trying to get it back in slow steps :) go for it!

Ruftysdad

Visit site
When Iwas in my late 50's I entered a small jumping class on my arab. Neither of us was any good at jumping (Iwas an endurance rider) We did the course at a trot and got a clear round. Went in to the jump off and got clear again. Came first.
Decided to go in next class which was for mature riders. Jumps the same height. Maestro jumped one , and that was it, he had had enough. We were eliminated. After that he refused to jump at all. He preferred endurance. Awkward little so and so

Merrymoles

Visit site
Don't give a monkeys what anyone else thinks, do what's right for you! For all anyone watching knows, your horse is recovering from a serious injury/has lost all his confidence/had a bad experience at your last show! The plonkers are the people who sit on the side lines criticising other people, not the ones having a go!
Good luck - am sure you will be fab.

Blythe Spirit

Visit site
Go do it!! No one will think your a plonker! I am 39 my husband is 56 we have both jumped teeny tiny clear rounds whilst we were getting to know our horses. Hubbies horse who is a big 17'2 TB got an 'arrrr' from the 'audience' because he looked so sweet doing these tiny jumps. mine is 15hh so less cute factor but no one minded at all

emmanash

Visit site
Thanks for all the supportive replies. The competition isn't until 8th July so will get practising and will let you know how it goes.

Good luck for the competition on Saturday EquestrianFairy.

Kikke

Visit site
I started jumping last year being very very nervous. felt a bit strange entering a 45 cm class but everybody was so supportive and I was so proud with my clearround rosette I didn't care at all!

do it and enjoy. I have become so much more brave and am now jumping 75 cm happily!

Dreamer515

Visit site
we have little shows at my yard during the summer, i thought i would look silly on my 16.3hh ex NH racer just doing the clear round over 1'6" but we enjoyed it and even managed to keep 1 out of 14 poles in its cups lol we did enter the 2' and 2'3" classes but we knocked near enough all of them down...the little ponies put us to shame really but we had fun and it was a good experience for all. one girl about 12/13 years asked me why i was smiling like a loon and praising my horse after he had knocked most of them down. i told her that he tried, he didnt stop or run out and his brakes were impecable! she looked at me in horror and couldnt believe i was happy about it. some kids these days need a reminder that winning isnt everything! at 23 i thought it was brilliant and for me it was a big achievment being the first ever show i had ever ridden in and for my 12yr old horse to have adapted to being a 4 mile chaser to jumping round a little course in a little school. planning on having a go again this year!!